Calling squirrels

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Calling squirrels

Unread postby Brad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:28 am

I have killed many a squirrel over the years, most have been me going out and sitting and waiting, or me walking up on them. I went out to a spot this morning thats public land where the deer hunting is pretty lousy, and decided I would try and see if the calls I got on a garage sale would actually work. One was a little distress button whistle, the other was a bellow call.

I went in around 930 this morning and didn't see or hear anything, so I thought why not try the distress whistle. The call said to violently shake a small sappling and make a distress call at the same time, so I did. The woods came alive with squirrels chattering and barking, I was amazed. I snuck up on one and missed so I just kept working my way down the small woodlot. I did another call a few minutes later and a squirrel answered 15 yards away and came flying down out of the tree and stopped on a log shaking his tall at me, he will be delicious. I went on again and tried barking on the bellow call and darned if there wasn't one in a deadfall that jumped up and started shaking his tail too. He also should taste well.

These were both fox squirrels and I could not imagine they would answer and give away their position like they did. It does not really seem to call them in though it does excite them and get them moving around a lot. It sure makes it easier where you know where they are and just sneak in and take them. I wished I would have tried this year ago. I ended up with 2 and the miss in about 45 minutes of hunting, I figured that was pretty good success for the time given.

I think I am going to do more squirrel hunting since I only morning hunt for deer during the rut or gun season and I dont have to get up at the crack of dawn to kill some bushy tails. What a fun morning though!

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Calling squirrels

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 am

Very cool. Never tried that type of call. I'll keep it in mind when my soon gets to squirrel hunting age. It could prove to be a valuable wild card in my bag of tricks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:31 am

Think you can post a pic of that distress button call?

Squirrel hunting has always been a blast for my buddies and I. We usually go after them after deer season with snow on the ground.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:20 am

Yea I'd like to see a pic of those calls too. Or maybe some info on them. I've never heard of a squirrel distress call. I'd lie to get a couple calls. I have a grandson that just started huntin and calls would be great.

Oh and congrats on the kills. I love squirrel huntin
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:22 am

I have done the same. For me it only seems to work good early season

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:38 pm

I read this post and pulled out my old call that my Grandpa gave me 20some years ago. Took my nephew out and we have got 4 now. Could have killed many more but I always try to let him get the first shot.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:33 am

I used to squirrel hunt a lot when I was a kid. I used a $.50 call back then.

Cup a quarter in the palm of one hand. Chip at the exposed face of that quarter with another held in your other hand.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:10 am

seeds wrote:I used to squirrel hunt a lot when I was a kid. I used a $.50 call back then.

Cup a quarter in the palm of one hand. Chip at the exposed face of that quarter with another held in your other hand.

This is what I did too, and still do. :D
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:57 am

Badger wrote:
seeds wrote:I used to squirrel hunt a lot when I was a kid. I used a $.50 call back then.

This is what I did too, and still do. :D

My high school chemistry teacher taught me this one!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Beason wrote:Think you can post a pic of that distress button call?

Squirrel hunting has always been a blast for my buddies and I. We usually go after them after deer season with snow on the ground.

I'm not sure why Brad hasn't responded so I figured I would post a pic for you of what I'm fairly sure is the call.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:22 am

Thanks for posting it Lance, that is the call. The post got buried so fast I kinda forgot I posted it and never went back to look at it, that's the only bad thing this time of year, things move rapidly on the board!

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:56 am

If you spook one and it runs up a tree to hide, dont move and sit still for about 8minutes. If he doesn't come out, take 2 pennies out and rub the thin side of one off of the lincoln memorial on the other. it sounds like a squirrel eating a nut. Had an old guy tell me it works, never got to try it myself but I could see the merit. the will come out since they hear another squirrel in the area.... according to him anyway.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:43 am

I have that same squirrel call, yet to use it

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”