Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CChunter

Re: any other squirrel hunters

Unread postby CChunter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:37 am

G-Patt wrote:
CChunter wrote:
G-Patt wrote:I love squirrel hunting. Our season is pretty long beginning on Sept 1st and ends January 31st. I look at it as 2 seasons since it overlaps with deer season. The first season is the several weeks leading up to the deer archery opener, and the 2nd season begins after I get my 2nd deer in the freezer, usually around mid to late November if I'm lucky. Squirrel hunting is awesome in December and early January, which is their winter mating season. I cook squirrels in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, and they come out tasting amazing. I love eating them with buffalo sauce and soy sauce depending on what I'm in the mood for.

How do you cook them in the instant pot? Haven’t seen any recipes for it.

It all starts with a 24-hour soak in a brine consisting of salt, water, milk and apple cider vinegar. After a quick rinse of water, I put them in the Instant Pot using the small rack so they sit off the bottom and add a cup and a half of beef broth and whatever seasonings you like. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes and let it do a natural release (not the quick release) for no longer than 15 minutes. If not fully released after 15 minutes, do a quick release so you can take them out of the pot. Dip them in buffalo sauce or whatever you like. They are amazing, fall-off-the-bone delicious. The brine really does a great job eliminating any off-putting, gamey flavors.

Definitely gonna have to try that. Can’t beat how easy the instant pot is.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”