any other squirrel hunters

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
john1984

Re: any other squirrel hunters

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:26 pm

I havnt bought my small game license yet. The squirrels were taunting me severely on November 5th. Not all woods have a ton of squirrels. When I was a kid winter squirrels were hard for me. Mostly because I was very limited to where I could hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:00 pm

Got a short hunt in after work today with the pellet gun.Nice evening. I wish I had access to a chunk of woods with a good fox squirrel population that's close to home but I don't yet. Got these 2 greys outta the forest. I think I'm close to almost a dozen bushytails killed so far this season. Image

[ Post made via Android ] Image
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:44 am

ive been hunting some terrible squirrel Woods lately, got this one on saturday ,Image

Sunday morning was a Miss, Big time. i tell You what,,,, those city squirrels are nothing like public land pressured squirrels. ... I seen a spike buck out in a cut bean field this morning, he ended up walk in past me at 30 yards eventually, inside the woods at a transition from pines to hardwoods.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Lovely day to be out in the woods. Didn't see any deer but thought I heard chasing. Shot 4 bushytails, one was huge for a gray squirrel.

Mikev

Unread postby Mikev » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:59 pm

A hunt from last year. Nothing much better than some good squirrel and dumplings.

Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I haven't been out for a couple years. For some reason I have been getting the itch to, I thought about going and getting a 22 and a decent scope.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri May 19, 2017 11:30 pm

I used to live for squirrel hunting before I got into bow hunting. Now I live for bow hunting. I loved to long range snipe those badboys with my .22

if it didn't overlap with the bow hunting season I would probably still do it. It's the same with duck hunting. I don't have any good spots anymore and don't have the time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:02 am

The Mung hunters in my area have pretty much wiped out the squirrels on the public near me. I rarely see a squirrel.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
SwampReaper
Facebook: Don’t have one

Unread postby SwampReaper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Love hunting the bushy tail bandits! My area they are all over the place. Get a few Boone’r sized fox squirrels a year.

Like most people I started out squirrel hunting as a kid. Within the last couple years I’ve been hunting them more and more
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:42 am

I shot my first squirrel a couple weeks back with my bow, Lame day of deer hunting. I had just been listening to a meateater podcast talking about squirrel hunting, so I decided I would try one. I have to admit, it was pretty tasty! I will likely take up squirrel hunting in the future.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:16 am

I love squirrel hunting. Our season is pretty long beginning on Sept 1st and ends January 31st. I look at it as 2 seasons since it overlaps with deer season. The first season is the several weeks leading up to the deer archery opener, and the 2nd season begins after I get my 2nd deer in the freezer, usually around mid to late November if I'm lucky. Squirrel hunting is awesome in December and early January, which is their winter mating season. I cook squirrels in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, and they come out tasting amazing. I love eating them with buffalo sauce and soy sauce depending on what I'm in the mood for.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
CChunter

Unread postby CChunter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:25 pm

G-Patt wrote:I love squirrel hunting. Our season is pretty long beginning on Sept 1st and ends January 31st. I look at it as 2 seasons since it overlaps with deer season. The first season is the several weeks leading up to the deer archery opener, and the 2nd season begins after I get my 2nd deer in the freezer, usually around mid to late November if I'm lucky. Squirrel hunting is awesome in December and early January, which is their winter mating season. I cook squirrels in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, and they come out tasting amazing. I love eating them with buffalo sauce and soy sauce depending on what I'm in the mood for.

How do you cook them in the instant pot? Haven’t seen any recipes for it.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm going to do more of it next year with my boy
He'll be 10 and I'd like to spend some time outdoors with him. I'm getting a .22 caliber air rifle. Be good for him since they don't travel as far as a .22 long rifle and going to use if for dispatching raccoons on the trap line as well.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:21 am

CChunter wrote:
G-Patt wrote:I love squirrel hunting. Our season is pretty long beginning on Sept 1st and ends January 31st. I look at it as 2 seasons since it overlaps with deer season. The first season is the several weeks leading up to the deer archery opener, and the 2nd season begins after I get my 2nd deer in the freezer, usually around mid to late November if I'm lucky. Squirrel hunting is awesome in December and early January, which is their winter mating season. I cook squirrels in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, and they come out tasting amazing. I love eating them with buffalo sauce and soy sauce depending on what I'm in the mood for.

How do you cook them in the instant pot? Haven’t seen any recipes for it.

It all starts with a 24-hour soak in a brine consisting of salt, water, milk and apple cider vinegar. After a quick rinse of water, I put them in the Instant Pot using the small rack so they sit off the bottom and add a cup and a half of beef broth and whatever seasonings you like. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes and let it do a natural release (not the quick release) for no longer than 15 minutes. If not fully released after 15 minutes, do a quick release so you can take them out of the pot. Dip them in buffalo sauce or whatever you like. They are amazing, fall-off-the-bone delicious. The brine really does a great job eliminating any off-putting, gamey flavors.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:52 am

We do a guys trip every February for squirrel.
It’s great time.

Very tasty meat. Very.

We started simmering first to tenderize it then fry in a pan
We are doing this in the woods on a camp stove.

Turns out pretty good
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”