No votes
No votes
20+
11%

Total votes: 9
CrazyBaldArcher

Youth hunting age question

Unread postby CrazyBaldArcher » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:05 am

I have often wondered what would be a good age to begin to teach my children to hunt for rabbits and squirrels?

Did you also teach them to hunt deer at the same age?

What advice would you like to pass on?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

stash59

Re: Youth hunting age question

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:30 am

First off even though I'm not a dad I have some opinions.

To start off introducing them to the outdoors can start very young. One of my buddies sons. Now a dad of 3. Took all 3 of his kids in one of those kid packs on short scouting and shed hunting trips. Or just day hikes.

You can take them to small streams or ponds and catch bugs and aquatic animals. Answering as beat as you can any questions they have.

Buy them toy guns and bows and try to subtly start teaching them gun safety. Just keep it fun.

Then remember each child develops at their own pace. This is important to pay attention to when thinking about introducing them to real fire arms and bows. Will they be safe enough. Yes even the best of them will need constant reminders about safety. Be patient and keep it fun for them. Talk to others that have been through this. Maybe even talk to a hunting safety instructor or get hunting safety handbooks to read and refresh your memory. When it comes to shooting and hunting. Stay with guns that don't kick and scare them.

Mid West Whietails has a good set of shows on this last part. Under the Heartland section of their online shows. Having computer problems but will share the links later when I can.

Ultimately I feel it's hard to put an actual age to it because each child varies in so many different things. You are the one that must be realistic with the situation.
Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Youth hunting age question

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:58 am

I started both of my sons at 10 years old. On their 10th birthday I bought them a 20 guage single shot shotgun. Stalking squirrels and rabbits was good preparation for deer hunting. It was at that time my deer hunting took a backseat. I didn't take them hunting with me, I took them hunting for themselves and made it comfortable for them and taught them. That was also the time I found out how good a thermos of coffee was on a morning deer hunt :mrgreen: As they progressed rifles and bows came along. It was several years before my hunting came back along. It was great.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”