Bow hunting small game (pic heavy)

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Bow hunting small game (pic heavy)

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat May 20, 2017 8:10 am

Awesome man!

Slow cooked Crock Pot Squirrel and Rice is what this reminds me of! Good eating right there.

cameron

Unread postby cameron » Sat May 20, 2017 10:23 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Awesome man!

Slow cooked Crock Pot Squirrel and Rice is what this reminds me of! Good eating right there.

I need to try that! Normally I just quarter them up and fry them with biscuits and gravy.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 am

cameron wrote:

I need to try that! Normally I just quarter them up and fry them with biscuits and gravy.

Thats good too man! I want to go out with my recurve and knock some down like you have done. Gonna do that as soon as it opens up here this summer.

Here is essentially how I cook them over rice.

4 squirrels, cut into pieces.
~ 2 cups rice
~ salt and pepper
~ chopped onion, optional

Place the squirrels in crock pot. Season with salt, pepper and onion.

Crock Pot on low until meat falls off the bone.

Remove the squirrel and allow to cool. De-bone and cut meat into small chunks.

Strain the broth to remove any small bones, etc.

Cook the rice in the broth until almost done.

Add the meat to the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Continue to cook until rice is done and the meat is heated through.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat May 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Nice!
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
cameron wrote:

Thats good too man! I want to go out with my recurve and knock some down like you have done. Gonna do that as soon as it opens up here this summer.

Here is essentially how I cook them over rice.

4 squirrels, cut into pieces.
~ 2 cups rice
~ salt and pepper
~ chopped onion, optional

Place the squirrels in crock pot. Season with salt, pepper and onion.

Crock Pot on low until meat falls off the bone.

Remove the squirrel and allow to cool. De-bone and cut meat into small chunks.

Strain the broth to remove any small bones, etc.

Cook the rice in the broth until almost done.

Add the meat to the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Continue to cook until rice is done and the meat is heated through.

Definitely going to have to try it this way! Thanks for the recipe!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 26, 2017 7:23 am

Cool thread thanks for sharing. Small game is great practice for sure! I have found squirrels are really fast string jumpers :lol:

Cameron have you ever tried using a blunt or judo tipped arrow for that sort of thing or are you getting plenty solid kills just with the field tip?

I had a lot of problems with small game running off or just living a long time after it was hit with a field tip. I used a judo tip for a while, that was better but not perfect. I didn't like the whistle it made in flight. Now I use a head by 3-rivers archery that does awesome. It still punches through rabbits and squirrels but causes a lot more trauma and they don't last long. Judos and these blunts have the same POI for me out to 25-30 yards. http://www.3riversarchery.com/the-hammer-screw-in-small-game-blunts.html Just curious what your experiences are.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 am

I have been very tempted to shoot on several occasions but I rarely have time to swap to a field point. Very nice shooting!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Tue May 30, 2017 1:43 am

JoeRE wrote:Cool thread thanks for sharing. Small game is great practice for sure! I have found squirrels are really fast string jumpers :lol:

Cameron have you ever tried using a blunt or judo tipped arrow for that sort of thing or are you getting plenty solid kills just with the field tip?

I had a lot of problems with small game running off or just living a long time after it was hit with a field tip. I used a judo tip for a while, that was better but not perfect. I didn't like the whistle it made in flight. Now I use a head by 3-rivers archery that does awesome. It still punches through rabbits and squirrels but causes a lot more trauma and they don't last long. Judos and these blunts have the same POI for me out to 25-30 yards. http://www.3riversarchery.com/the-hammer-screw-in-small-game-blunts.html Just curious what your experiences are.

I have tried judo tips before but just tore them up too fast. I have had great luck with just the field tips so far and they're cheap haha
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 am

Cool, thanks for replying. Stick with it if working for you for sure!
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Tue May 30, 2017 2:10 pm

JoeRE wrote:Cool thread thanks for sharing. Small game is great practice for sure! I have found squirrels are really fast string jumpers :lol:

Unfortunately I've had the same issues
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 am

Squirrels never tasted good to me until I did something different this year. I now brine them in a salt, water, milk and vinegar solution overnight. After draining and rinsing them, I put them in my Instant Pot, add a cup of beef broth, black pepper, chili powder, garlic and pressure cook on high for 35 minutes. After a 15 minute slow release, take them out and dip them in buffalo sauce. Money all the way! Squirrel hunting is so much fun.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”