Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

Re: The Texas Hog Wars... We're losing

Postby Swampbuck » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:39 pm

BA-IV wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:
BA-IV wrote:They can be a HUGE problem, but a lot of the pictures you see with the fawn in the mouth of a hog is an already dead fawn not to mention they are hogs in other countries. They are scavengers and do not go out of their way to kill fawns at all, maybe in extreme circumstances, but 99% of the time they're just opportunistic feeders.

They can definitely tear up a hay field, crop field, and food plot fast, but I've seen the hog population managed quite well with great success all over East Texas, and Western Louisiana.

How would you know that they are already dead 99% of the time?

I don't kno either way but I suspect a fawn is a pretty easy opportunity. Pretty safe bet that the hogs are quite nearby when they are born

No different then being easy for a coyote I reckon. If the hog population was such fawn killers, with the amount of hogs in Texas, the deer population wouldn't be able to sustain itself.

I don't disagree, just don't see how one could tell they are already dead

BA-IV

Postby BA-IV » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 am

Swampbuck wrote:
BA-IV wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:
BA-IV wrote:They can be a HUGE problem, but a lot of the pictures you see with the fawn in the mouth of a hog is an already dead fawn not to mention they are hogs in other countries. They are scavengers and do not go out of their way to kill fawns at all, maybe in extreme circumstances, but 99% of the time they're just opportunistic feeders.

They can definitely tear up a hay field, crop field, and food plot fast, but I've seen the hog population managed quite well with great success all over East Texas, and Western Louisiana.

How would you know that they are already dead 99% of the time?

I don't kno either way but I suspect a fawn is a pretty easy opportunity. Pretty safe bet that the hogs are quite nearby when they are born

No different then being easy for a coyote I reckon. If the hog population was such fawn killers, with the amount of hogs in Texas, the deer population wouldn't be able to sustain itself.

I don't disagree, just don't see how one could tell they are already dead

You're right you can't tell, just call it an answer based off experience I guess.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Postby UntouchableNess » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:22 am

IkemanTx wrote:TPWD (our version of a DNR) is currently devoting those resources to researching bovine specific poisons and developing more efficient trapping techniques.

You mad at the cows, too? :lol:
America works when Americans work.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Postby dan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:49 am

I was at a work Christmas party and a group of hunters gathered around me. One of them is retired and travels around a lot hunting. I asked him if he got down south this year and he said no, but he really wanted to go to texas and shoot wild pigs, just too dang expensive. He told me most ranchers want more for you to hunt pigs than whitetail ranches up here. Might be an exaggeration, but several people in the group of Wisconsin boys said they wanted to hunt pigs in the south cause they keep hearing about the problem but its just to expensive when they looked into it....
Twenty Up
500 Club

Postby Twenty Up » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:32 am

dan wrote:I was at a work Christmas party and a group of hunters gathered around me. One of them is retired and travels around a lot hunting. I asked him if he got down south this year and he said no, but he really wanted to go to texas and shoot wild pigs, just too dang expensive. He told me most ranchers want more for you to hunt pigs than whitetail ranches up here. Might be an exaggeration, but several people in the group of Wisconsin boys said they wanted to hunt pigs in the south cause they keep hearing about the problem but its just to expensive when they looked into it....

Outfitters are seriously cashing in with the hog hunts, especially the Helicopter hunts... There's other places besides Texas, too. Whole SE is overrun

Here in South GA my farmer buddies have resorted to:
Running hog dogs
Leaving hog dogs GPS penned in certain fields
Hiring crews with thermal cameras/guns
Traps

As well as killing every hog they see while out there. But yet still they are out of control
Deep South Addictions
IkemanTx
500 Club

Postby IkemanTx » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:
IkemanTx wrote:TPWD (our version of a DNR) is currently devoting those resources to researching bovine specific poisons and developing more efficient trapping techniques.

You mad at the cows, too? :lol:

Hahahahaha, I meant swine.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Postby Boogieman1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:03 pm

dan wrote:I was at a work Christmas party and a group of hunters gathered around me. One of them is retired and travels around a lot hunting. I asked him if he got down south this year and he said no, but he really wanted to go to texas and shoot wild pigs, just too dang expensive. He told me most ranchers want more for you to hunt pigs than whitetail ranches up here. Might be an exaggeration, but several people in the group of Wisconsin boys said they wanted to hunt pigs in the south cause they keep hearing about the problem but its just to expensive when they looked into it....

That’s because the people promoting these Texas Hog Wars are the same ones selling these high dollar hunts! I have a buddy who for a livin traps hogs and sells them to these same ranchers to keep the inventory up and the hog war epidemic alive and booming. To those interested in actually hunting wild hogs most farmers who have a legit problem with hogs will grant permission to anyone who asks them. Also a lot of our public grounds are loaded with em, from what I’ve seen on public the best method is a hog push.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of pulling the trigger.

Return to “Other Critters”