The Texas Hog Wars... We're losing

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Atfulldraw
Facebook: 4011 W 4rd

Re: The Texas Hog Wars... We're losing

Unread postby Atfulldraw » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:30 am

I guess my question is why aren't more landowners allowing more access to hunters to kill pigs...A friend of mine and his dad knocked on numerous doors in middle Texas when they were stationed there for work. All denied them access unless they wanted to pay anywhere from a $100 per day to $500 per month. Which either could afford...so if it was that big of problem one would think landowners would beg for hunters and do it for free.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 am

Atfulldraw wrote:I guess my question is why aren't more landowners allowing more access to hunters to kill pigs...A friend of mine and his dad knocked on numerous doors in middle Texas when they were stationed there for work. All denied them access unless they wanted to pay anywhere from a $100 per day to $500 per month. Which either could afford...so if it was that big of problem one would think landowners would beg for hunters and do it for free.

The same reason Midwest farmers don't grant permission for deer hunting for free - there is $$$ to be made. And honestly hunters just can't kill enough pigs to actually make a difference in the population so the landowner risk liability & property damage for really nothing in return.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:11 am

They can be a HUGE problem, but a lot of the pictures you see with the fawn in the mouth of a hog is an already dead fawn not to mention they are hogs in other countries. They are scavengers and do not go out of their way to kill fawns at all, maybe in extreme circumstances, but 99% of the time they're just opportunistic feeders.

They can definitely tear up a hay field, crop field, and food plot fast, but I've seen the hog population managed quite well with great success all over East Texas, and Western Louisiana.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:13 am

Atfulldraw wrote:I guess my question is why aren't more landowners allowing more access to hunters to kill pigs...A friend of mine and his dad knocked on numerous doors in middle Texas when they were stationed there for work. All denied them access unless they wanted to pay anywhere from a $100 per day to $500 per month. Which either could afford...so if it was that big of problem one would think landowners would beg for hunters and do it for free.

Exactly. IF they really wanted more pigs killed then hunting pigs should be free for residents and non residents. The DNR should create incentives, and like Jackson Marsh mentioned, the DNR should allow the sale of wild pig meat,. landowners and outfitters should pay people to come hunt pigs. I know in WI landowners are NOT liable if someone gets hurt on their land while hunting unless the landowner charges you like over 2 grand for permission to hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:22 am

john1984 wrote:

Exactly. IF they really wanted more pigs killed then hunting pigs should be free for residents and non residents. The DNR should create incentives, and like Jackson Marsh mentioned, the DNR should allow the sale of wild pig meat,. landowners and outfitters should pay people to come hunt pigs. I know in WI landowners are NOT liable if someone gets hurt on their land while hunting unless the landowner charges you like over 2 grand for permission to hunt.

TPWD (our version of a DNR) is currently devoting those resources to researching bovine specific poisons and developing more efficient trapping techniques. Cage style and tripwire activated traps tend to do no more than catch young, inexperienced pigs and educate the rest of the sounder to avoid metal structures.

Texas has also had a LONG history of leasing for hunting. If you can hunt a private place for free, it's because they are family or good friends. In the last 2 years, I have written letters, asked in person, or knocked on doors of 120+ properties and recieved permission on ZERO places. Most places that don't have hunters lease to cattle grazers, and even my archery only request has been viewed as too much risk.
I do hope to put a dent in the population on some public soon though... My dad just got gen2+ night vision for one of his AR's. I see lots of buckets of soured corn in my future.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:32 am

Yeah I kind of smile when I hear someone talk about knocking on doors for permission - you can knock all you want down this way but its a good idea to bring a checkbook with you. Farmers/ranchers get incentives and crop insurance to cover the damage and then charge the hunters to hunt hogs..... Exactly why public land in Texas is heavily pressured - pretty sure some spots will rival anywhere in the country as far as hunting pressure goes. I once hunted a small 70 acre section a few years back and when I left that morning there were still 4 cars in the parking area.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:39 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Yeah I kind of smile when I hear someone talk about knocking on doors for permission - you can knock all you want down this way but its a good idea to bring a checkbook with you. Farmers/ranchers get incentives and crop insurance to cover the damage and then charge the hunters to hunt hogs..... Exactly why public land in Texas is heavily pressured - pretty sure some spots will rival anywhere in the country as far as hunting pressure goes. I once hunted a small 70 acre section a few years back and when I left that morning there were still 4 cars in the parking area.

Ha I was excited to see a 100% wild podcast loaded to my phone during the night, then promptly deleted it when I saw it was on asking for permission. That doesn't happen in the south.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:25 am

john1984 wrote:

Wild board often carry tuberculosis and other nasty bugs - doubt TPWD will ever open the selling of wild boar meat to public.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:22 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
john1984 wrote:

Wild board often carry tuberculosis and other nasty bugs - doubt TPWD will ever open the selling of wild boar meat to public.

What about salmonella and E coli? ??

Isn't that why people wash there hands after handling raw meat from the grocery store? ??

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:52 am

Don't forget Trichinosis, that is the reason hogs raised for commercial sale has so many rules and regulations. Wild hogs have a good chance of picking up the Trichinosis worm cysts just like domestic hogs used to before the new rules on raising hogs for commercial sale were instituted. Don't get me wrong, I really like to eat wild pork but we make sure we cook it well. I can't see any state dept of Ag allow the sale of wild pork, although it is given to charities feeding the needy in some southern states. I think my scrapple made from wild hogs is much more flavorful than store bought scrapple and the smoke bar-b-q pork butts, ham, sausage and chops aren't aren't too shabby either.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Im dragging up an old thread, but I have 2 first hand reports this late spring/early summer of pigs killing fawns.

I am getting so fed up with these pigs... I have yet to take what I consider "drastic measures". That is borrowing an AK47, with gen 3 night vision. I think I will wait until after season (or until after I decide my whitetail season is over). But, I think I will be putting a real hurt on the pigs in 2018.
I have encountered pigs (in close range) on 30% of my scouting trips. I think that, beyond extermination trips, I will build out a ruger 10/22 for backpack carry, and just include it with my regular scouting trip. I lost 3 of my 5 most prime primary doe bedding areas from this spring due to a pig sounder moving in.

It is time to put the fear of God in these animals, and as soon as the season is over.... I am doing it. I have PLENTY of freezer space to fill.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 pm

thwack16 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Yeah I kind of smile when I hear someone talk about knocking on doors for permission - you can knock all you want down this way but its a good idea to bring a checkbook with you. Farmers/ranchers get incentives and crop insurance to cover the damage and then charge the hunters to hunt hogs..... Exactly why public land in Texas is heavily pressured - pretty sure some spots will rival anywhere in the country as far as hunting pressure goes. I once hunted a small 70 acre section a few years back and when I left that morning there were still 4 cars in the parking area.

Ha I was excited to see a 100% wild podcast loaded to my phone during the night, then promptly deleted it when I saw it was on asking for permission. That doesn't happen in the south.

This^^^

Have had buddies get cursed out by farmers asking for permission to hunt. We've personally asked close to 50 different properties with nothing so far...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:54 pm

IkemanTx wrote:Im dragging up an old thread, but I have 2 first hand reports this late spring/early summer of pigs killing fawns.

I am getting so fed up with these pigs... I have yet to take what I consider "drastic measures". That is borrowing an AK47, with gen 3 night vision. I think I will wait until after season (or until after I decide my whitetail season is over). But, I think I will be putting a real hurt on the pigs in 2018.
I have encountered pigs (in close range) on 30% of my scouting trips. I think that, beyond extermination trips, I will build out a ruger 10/22 for backpack carry, and just include it with my regular scouting trip. I lost 3 of my 5 most prime primary doe bedding areas from this spring due to a pig sounder moving in.

It is time to put the fear of God in these animals, and as soon as the season is over.... I am doing it. I have PLENTY of freezer space to fill.

Like the .22 scouting carry gun idea!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 pm

BA-IV wrote:They can be a HUGE problem, but a lot of the pictures you see with the fawn in the mouth of a hog is an already dead fawn not to mention they are hogs in other countries. They are scavengers and do not go out of their way to kill fawns at all, maybe in extreme circumstances, but 99% of the time they're just opportunistic feeders.

They can definitely tear up a hay field, crop field, and food plot fast, but I've seen the hog population managed quite well with great success all over East Texas, and Western Louisiana.

How would you know that they are already dead 99% of the time?

I don't kno either way but I suspect a fawn is a pretty easy opportunity. Pretty safe bet that the hogs are quite nearby when they are born
Make It Happen
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
BA-IV wrote:They can be a HUGE problem, but a lot of the pictures you see with the fawn in the mouth of a hog is an already dead fawn not to mention they are hogs in other countries. They are scavengers and do not go out of their way to kill fawns at all, maybe in extreme circumstances, but 99% of the time they're just opportunistic feeders.

How would you know that they are already dead 99% of the time?

I don't kno either way but I suspect a fawn is a pretty easy opportunity. Pretty safe bet that the hogs are quite nearby when they are born

No different then being easy for a coyote I reckon. If the hog population was such fawn killers, with the amount of hogs in Texas, the deer population wouldn't be able to sustain itself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”