Collar conditioning a dog

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: Collar conditioning a dog

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:32 am

muddy wrote:Good responses. I've been fortunate that I've been able to spend a lot of time working with her inside and outside on a slip lead. She does very very well for the most part for his young as she is. The biggest issues have been we've been going on walks, off-leash, show range out further than I would like and sometimes get up on the people's yards. I put the collar on her a few days ago and haven't done anything with it other than let her carry it, today on our walk when she arranged up into someone's yards I gave her two chances to come in when she didn't I just hit her with the vibration function. She came back immediately. She did it again about 15 minutes later and after the vibration she came right back, and that was the last time she did that. At the moment I just don't foresee having to use a lot of electricity but it's nice to have it if I need it. Thanks for the responses so far.

With my labs I worked them in open grassy area( I used a school that was near me) with a check cord as long as the distance I wanted them to range.....after some time they just learned where they should be in relation to me. Just became natural for them. If they dont come when you want them to....turn and jog the other way. Once they see you going the other way they WILL come running back to you.

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:16 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
Pullintoobs wrote:No, I don't think it is ok for her to be disobedient. But the correction should be a bit more gentle than an e-collar correction. 4 month old puppy is just that.....an infant. Always make sure you can get to her in case she dont listen. I always leave a check cord on a pup so I can correct as soon as i need to. If you cant get to her when you need to it becomes a game to her. 25 foot leash outside, just let her drag it around, but make sure you can get it when you need to. shorter in the house. Does your pup know what your commands mean fully? Praise and recognition is king with a young pup when they comply. A dog only wants to please you. You are the alpha of its new pack. You have to insure that she does what you want. Repetition will ingrain what you want in her mind. It is a journey, it will come . Just takes you putting in the time.

Gotcha. So she really should NOT be off leash when she is outside.

I think it is ok depending where you are. But you need to make sure you can correct if needed. I would leave a long(longer the better IMO) leash on him always when outside.Just let the dog drag it around. It doesn't hurt nothing.And a long one makes it much easier to catch it. That is important. Once a pup learns that is does not have to listen.......It will listen when IT chooses to. Much easier to mold a pup the way you want than to try and train out bad behavior. Teach good behavior and it becomes the dog. Allow bad behavior...it becomes the dog. The only way to do that is to be able to take control when you need to. A loose pup that does not have a lead is not easy to catch. And you chasing him makes it awfully fun for him. That is reinforcing the bad behavior. But there should always be a time when it can go nuts and burn off some energy too....
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Great tips. Definitely some good advice. I am ordering a 30-50 long leash on amazon.

She does ok off leash..but she also thinks its "fun" to dash off and take a tear around. I have let her do that. And she always comes back...but not WHEN I want her to. We have been training her to do here business in the woods to keep the dog crap off the lawn.

Again, thanks for the advice. 100% makes sense.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
Pullintoobs wrote:No, I don't think it is ok for her to be disobedient. But the correction should be a bit more gentle than an e-collar correction. 4 month old puppy is just that.....an infant. Always make sure you can get to her in case she dont listen. I always leave a check cord on a pup so I can correct as soon as i need to. If you cant get to her when you need to it becomes a game to her. 25 foot leash outside, just let her drag it around, but make sure you can get it when you need to. shorter in the house. Does your pup know what your commands mean fully? Praise and recognition is king with a young pup when they comply. A dog only wants to please you. You are the alpha of its new pack. You have to insure that she does what you want. Repetition will ingrain what you want in her mind. It is a journey, it will come . Just takes you putting in the time.

Gotcha. So she really should NOT be off leash when she is outside.

I think it is ok depending where you are. But you need to make sure you can correct if needed. I would leave a long(longer the better IMO) leash on him always when outside.Just let the dog drag it around. It doesn't hurt nothing.And a long one makes it much easier to catch it. That is important. Once a pup learns that is does not have to listen.......It will listen when IT chooses to. Much easier to mold a pup the way you want than to try and train out bad behavior. Teach good behavior and it becomes the dog. Allow bad behavior...it becomes the dog. The only way to do that is to be able to take control when you need to. A loose pup that does not have a lead is not easy to catch. And you chasing him makes it awfully fun for him. That is reinforcing the bad behavior. But there should always be a time when it can go nuts and burn off some energy too....

Because NO without a leash, I CANNOT correct when needed. I DO NOT want her to think it is ok for me to yell 4x or 6x before she comes.

So the loose 30 to 50ft long line will take care of that.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:
muddy wrote:Good responses. I've been fortunate that I've been able to spend a lot of time working with her inside and outside on a slip lead. She does very very well for the most part for his young as she is. The biggest issues have been we've been going on walks, off-leash, show range out further than I would like and sometimes get up on the people's yards. I put the collar on her a few days ago and haven't done anything with it other than let her carry it, today on our walk when she arranged up into someone's yards I gave her two chances to come in when she didn't I just hit her with the vibration function. She came back immediately. She did it again about 15 minutes later and after the vibration she came right back, and that was the last time she did that. At the moment I just don't foresee having to use a lot of electricity but it's nice to have it if I need it. Thanks for the responses so far.

With my labs I worked them in open grassy area( I used a school that was near me) with a check cord as long as the distance I wanted them to range.....after some time they just learned where they should be in relation to me. Just became natural for them. If they dont come when you want them to....turn and jog the other way. Once they see you going the other way they WILL come running back to you.

Yes indeed they do, I use that trick a lot.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:55 am

Figured I would update this post. Dog has been on a long line for awhile. She definitely knows the "come" command but chooses to ignore it when she wants. Come yanks on the long line, she responds well. When she is off the line, its about 50% and she will take off and do as she pleases. Many times, I just let her run because she is a puppy and do not call to at all. But sometimes, I NEED her to do something and she is just plan disobedient.

Today I started putting the e-collar on her. No shocking. Just buzzing. Works wonders! The vibration REALLY gets her attention and immediately responds to my commands. She may never need the shocking. Its a last resort. I am really trying to wait until she is 6mos old to go to the shocking. She is close to 5mos. now.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 am

I've always started training my dogs shortly after bringing them home from the breeder. I'll give them a little while to get used to their new home and then start leash training. Once I'm confident they know what command means what on leash, I'll switch over to the E collar. I mostly only need to use it on vibrate just to get the dogs attention. I've only trained 2 other Labs besides my current one but
this has seemed to work well for me. I bought the book "Water Dog" and used that for info on how to train. My current Chocolate Lab is only 6 months old and will sit, stay and come on command every time off leash. When I go out to get the mail I have her sit and stay in the driveway while I go across the street and get the mail and she dont move a muscle until I get back and tell her good girl. Labs seem to be very smart and quite easy to train. I'm still working on her with finding the antlers though :D
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:22 am

A lot of good tips here.

Think training with an e collar will work with a 4 year old siberian husky?

We let her roam free in our large fenced in yard and she comes to the door when we call.

If we take her out if the fence in our back yard or on the ice ice fishing she responds 25% of the time. Siberian live to run, we know but would be great to rake her ice fishing.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:54 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:A lot of good tips here.

Think training with an e collar will work with a 4 year old siberian husky?

We let her roam free in our large fenced in yard and she comes to the door when we call.

If we take her out if the fence in our back yard or on the ice ice fishing she responds 25% of the time. Siberian live to run, we know but would be great to rake her ice fishing.

It couldnt hurt to try. I got my Ecollar off Ebay for $25. Read the reviews on them...people have success using them on older, high strung dogs
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm

I will give it a shot. Bought a new sport dog collar, nice one that is waterproof, last year. We just never used it on the dog....ive never trained a dog with an e collar before.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:I will give it a shot. Bought a new sport dog collar, nice one that is waterproof, last year. We just never used it on the dog....ive never trained a dog with an e collar before.

Just the vibration feature of the e-collar has worked wonders for my 5mo puppy. She is now starting to react instantly to the recall command, not perfectly but much noticed improvement. It allows us to let her out without a leash and still maintain control.

Eventually, we will move on the the lower shock setting if needed.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 am

Pullintoobs wrote:Put the collar on the dog, but dont even turn it on, every time you take him out to play run or whatever. The dog needs to associate it with a good time. Do this for a few weeks. If he learns the collar is correcting him, he will listen when it is on its neck but maybe not so much when hit doesn't. . You want the dog to think it is getting stimulation because it is not complying with your command. You want your dog to think that no matter how far away he is from you, you can reach out and touch him. My dog gets happy as heck when he sees his e-collar in my hand.( He knows its time to go out have fun.) Before you even power it up, be sure the pup knows what he is supposed to do with each command you are teaching it. When you start training with stimulation, find the lowest level you get a reaction form the dog. If the dog yelps or anything , it is too hot. You only want to see a reaction. (You do not want to cause pain with the collar,only discomfort) Perhaps a head nod or eye blink. That is where you want to start stimulation. Slowly get hotter until the pup obeys. They learn fast. You want to be sure it understands what you want before correcting with the collar. When training with the collar, continue to guide it into sit or down while using stimulation. Nick, command, nick... soon the pup will be trying to beat that 2nd nick. But give him time to understand. ALOT of people think an e-collar is a savior to a disobedient dog. And really misuse it. Don't use it till the pup is 6-8 months old though. A puppy needs to be a puppy, and experience everything possible. Absolutely train from day one...but not with an e-collar. A very young puppy needs to be trained with "love", till it is 6-8 months old. By then it should understand your commands, and then its time to learn it MUST comply. I have trained a few labs to pretty high levels. Remember Patience is key. One day it will be the greatest pup, the next like it forgot everything you taught. It does all come together though. Short sessions everyday is better than long ones. It is pretty amazing what a dog can be taught. Good luck and have fun. Any questions ask away.

The only thing I would add to this is to start with a check rope the first lesson or two to prevent bolting.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 am

I have a 7 and half month old German shepard. The collar we just started ( a week now) using only has stimulation (no shock). We have had excellent results in only a week. They learn very quickly!
My dog trainer instructed us to only take it off at night for the first 5 or 6 months. Then after that, we probably just put it on him when you take him somewhere (to help keep him squirrel proof), of course every dog is slightly different.
So far this has corrected negative behavior ( chasing cats, or jumping on us) almost instantly when clicked a couple time while simultaneously given a verbal command.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 am

I took my one year old black lab out to the field today for his first trip, he loved it! I tried the long 50-foot rope attached to him and let him just drag that around, he did really well with that for a while until he got tangled up in some Cattails, so I took off the extra rope and let him just drag his six-foot leash. He came most of the time when I called him, very promising!
He's a beast!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:44 am

Figured I would update this. So Lucy definitely has a bit of a defiant streak! She is well past the 6 month mark and she has gotten a good zap with the e-collar more than once. She loves to go to the neighbors to play with their dog. She is doing exceptional with the recall command, which is typically with me whistling with my fingers. At this point, she really is doing so well. At 7 mos she knows the recall command, sit command, get in her crate command, down command, easy command...just heck of an easy dog to train.

Training a dog takes effort and work..and its constant. But in the end, a well trained dog is so much fun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”