Collar conditioning a dog

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Collar conditioning a dog

Unread postby muddy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Our vizsla turns 8 months old here soon and she's starting to push my patience off leash. Tips on e-collar training? Collar has vibrate, tone, and shock.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Collar conditioning a dog

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:40 pm

They learn real quick what e-collars are!

I have a black lab that I'm working into a water dog. I use a Sport Dog collar with no issues, just be sure to use the correct prong length. Some dogs with thicker necks need longer prongs, other dogs with slim coats the shorter prongs are required.

Not sure what your goal is for the Dog but with Chief, I'll put it on before every training session. Mine has a "beep", vibrate & shock (1-7) power. Use the lowest setting that catches their attention. Every dogs different, my 90lb lab uses a 2 setting where as my buddies 60lb lab takes a 7 (highest power) to catch his attention. Start low, work your way up

What I'll do is give a command or if I see bad behavior etc.. I'll repeat command or whatever then see what he does. No response I'll hit the "beep" button which he hears and 80% of the time he responds to what I'm asking. If no response I'll say "No" louder and quickly shock him. Try to shock your dog as little as possible and initially they'll freak out thinking where the shock came from. Stay close to them and try to make eye contact throughout the entire thing and keep them focused on you (where the shock came from).

It shouldn't take long for himto catch on. You'd be amazed at how well behaved the dogs act once they figure out what the collar does!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:38 pm

muddy wrote:Our vizsla turns 8 months old here soon and she's starting to push my patience off leash. Tips on e-collar training? Collar has vibrate, tone, and shock.

Timely thread...we have a 16 week old Fox red lab / hound mix. She is just learning and same as you muddy, really pushing my patience. When its 10 degrees out at 10pm at night, and she decides she would rather run around than come back when I call....Granted she is still learning. But she will look right at me, turn and run the other way.

I have an e-collar that should arrive any day. One thing I cannot deal with is a mis-behaving dog.

Twenty, you are right about the prongs. The last german shepherd we had ...prongs were not long enough.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Hmm. Guess I lucked out with my 8 month and 3 y/o yellow labs.

Only bad part about them is my arm wants to fall off playing frisbee with them before they are done for the day. Have had to do virtually no training with them besides the first month.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Put the collar on the dog, but dont even turn it on, every time you take him out to play run or whatever. The dog needs to associate it with a good time. Do this for a few weeks. If he learns the collar is correcting him, he will listen when it is on its neck but maybe not so much when hit doesn't. . You want the dog to think it is getting stimulation because it is not complying with your command. You want your dog to think that no matter how far away he is from you, you can reach out and touch him. My dog gets happy as heck when he sees his e-collar in my hand.( He knows its time to go out have fun.) Before you even power it up, be sure the pup knows what he is supposed to do with each command you are teaching it. When you start training with stimulation, find the lowest level you get a reaction form the dog. If the dog yelps or anything , it is too hot. You only want to see a reaction. (You do not want to cause pain with the collar,only discomfort) Perhaps a head nod or eye blink. That is where you want to start stimulation. Slowly get hotter until the pup obeys. They learn fast. You want to be sure it understands what you want before correcting with the collar. When training with the collar, continue to guide it into sit or down while using stimulation. Nick, command, nick... soon the pup will be trying to beat that 2nd nick. But give him time to understand. ALOT of people think an e-collar is a savior to a disobedient dog. And really misuse it. Don't use it till the pup is 6-8 months old though. A puppy needs to be a puppy, and experience everything possible. Absolutely train from day one...but not with an e-collar. A very young puppy needs to be trained with "love", till it is 6-8 months old. By then it should understand your commands, and then its time to learn it MUST comply. I have trained a few labs to pretty high levels. Remember Patience is key. One day it will be the greatest pup, the next like it forgot everything you taught. It does all come together though. Short sessions everyday is better than long ones. It is pretty amazing what a dog can be taught. Good luck and have fun. Any questions ask away.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:Put the collar on the dog, but dont even turn it on, every time you take him out to play run or whatever. The dog needs to associate it with a good time. Do this for a few weeks. If he learns the collar is correcting him, he will listen when it is on its neck but maybe not so much when hit doesn't. . You want the dog to think it is getting stimulation because it is not complying with your command. You want your dog to think that no matter how far away he is from you, you can reach out and touch him. My dog gets happy as heck when he sees his e-collar in my hand.( He knows its time to go out have fun.) Before you even power it up, be sure the pup knows what he is supposed to do with each command you are teaching it. When you start training with stimulation, find the lowest level you get a reaction form the dog. If the dog yelps or anything , it is too hot. You only want to see a reaction. (You do not want to cause pain with the collar,only discomfort) Perhaps a head nod or eye blink. That is where you want to start stimulation. Slowly get hotter until the pup obeys. They learn fast. You want to be sure it understands what you want before correcting with the collar. When training with the collar, continue to guide it into sit or down while using stimulation. Nick, command, nick... soon the pup will be trying to beat that 2nd nick. But give him time to understand. ALOT of people think an e-collar is a savior to a disobedient dog. And really misuse it. Don't use it till the pup is 6-8 months old though. A puppy needs to be a puppy, and experience everything possible. Absolutely train from day one...but not with an e-collar. A very young puppy needs to be trained with "love", till it is 6-8 months old. By then it should understand your commands, and then its time to learn it MUST comply. I have trained a few labs to pretty high levels. Remember Patience is key. One day it will be the greatest pup, the next like it forgot everything you taught. It does all come together though. Short sessions everyday is better than long ones. It is pretty amazing what a dog can be taught. Good luck and have fun. Any questions ask away.

Ok. So I probably should wait a bit then. Maybe will put the collar on her for awhile without activation. So at this point, you think its ok for her not to be obedient? Meaning, she knows what it means to "come" but many times, she chooses to ignore. She eventually will come but its at her own time not mine. Puppy gets plenty of love...she is with me all day in my office.

Been a LONG time since I have had a puppy.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Check out some dog training literature or look up Freddy King Dog Training on YouTube.

First 12 weeks of a puppies life should be playing and getting him used to his surroundings. I never put a collar on Chief until he was about 8 months-1yr old
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:48 pm

No, I don't think it is ok for her to be disobedient. But the correction should be a bit more gentle than an e-collar correction. 4 month old puppy is just that.....an infant. Always make sure you can get to her in case she dont listen. I always leave a check cord on a pup so I can correct as soon as i need to. If you cant get to her when you need to it becomes a game to her. 25 foot leash outside, just let her drag it around, but make sure you can get it when you need to. shorter in the house. Does your pup know what your commands mean fully? Praise and recognition is king with a young pup when they comply. A dog only wants to please you. You are the alpha of its new pack. You have to insure that she does what you want. Repetition will ingrain what you want in her mind. It is a journey, it will come . Just takes you putting in the time.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:20 am

Pullintoobs wrote:No, I don't think it is ok for her to be disobedient. But the correction should be a bit more gentle than an e-collar correction. 4 month old puppy is just that.....an infant. Always make sure you can get to her in case she dont listen. I always leave a check cord on a pup so I can correct as soon as i need to. If you cant get to her when you need to it becomes a game to her. 25 foot leash outside, just let her drag it around, but make sure you can get it when you need to. shorter in the house. Does your pup know what your commands mean fully? Praise and recognition is king with a young pup when they comply. A dog only wants to please you. You are the alpha of its new pack. You have to insure that she does what you want. Repetition will ingrain what you want in her mind. It is a journey, it will come . Just takes you putting in the time.

Gotcha. So she really should NOT be off leash when she is outside.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:21 am

Twenty Up wrote:Check out some dog training literature or look up Freddy King Dog Training on YouTube.

First 12 weeks of a puppies life should be playing and getting him used to his surroundings. I never put a collar on Chief until he was about 8 months-1yr old

I will take a look at this stuff.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:52 am

Headed to pet store and going to grab one of the long lines that wont tangle, like the dog trackers use. That seems to make the most sense.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:01 am

Only use a collar to reinforce what you already have established with a leash. Personality of the dog is huge on whether it’s vibrate or fry. Use sparingly regardless. My first lab had 2 maybe 3 shock corrections in hundreds of hunts. My first gsp probably went through 10 sets of batteries and some days he’d cry and just keep on running.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:52 am

Pullintoobs wrote:Put the collar on the dog, but dont even turn it on, every time you take him out to play run or whatever. The dog needs to associate it with a good time. Do this for a few weeks. If he learns the collar is correcting him, he will listen when it is on its neck but maybe not so much when hit doesn't. . You want the dog to think it is getting stimulation because it is not complying with your command. You want your dog to think that no matter how far away he is from you, you can reach out and touch him. My dog gets happy as heck when he sees his e-collar in my hand.( He knows its time to go out have fun.) Before you even power it up, be sure the pup knows what he is supposed to do with each command you are teaching it. When you start training with stimulation, find the lowest level you get a reaction form the dog. If the dog yelps or anything , it is too hot. You only want to see a reaction. (You do not want to cause pain with the collar,only discomfort) Perhaps a head nod or eye blink. That is where you want to start stimulation. Slowly get hotter until the pup obeys. They learn fast. You want to be sure it understands what you want before correcting with the collar. When training with the collar, continue to guide it into sit or down while using stimulation. Nick, command, nick... soon the pup will be trying to beat that 2nd nick. But give him time to understand. ALOT of people think an e-collar is a savior to a disobedient dog. And really misuse it. Don't use it till the pup is 6-8 months old though. A puppy needs to be a puppy, and experience everything possible. Absolutely train from day one...but not with an e-collar. A very young puppy needs to be trained with "love", till it is 6-8 months old. By then it should understand your commands, and then its time to learn it MUST comply. I have trained a few labs to pretty high levels. Remember Patience is key. One day it will be the greatest pup, the next like it forgot everything you taught. It does all come together though. Short sessions everyday is better than long ones. It is pretty amazing what a dog can be taught. Good luck and have fun. Any questions ask away.

^^^^^^^^^NAILED IT^^^^^^^^^^^

I train semi-professionally and have trained with a pro. Ran my dogs in many hunt tests and field tests. Follow the above. The best, easy start training book is "10 minute retriever" by John and Amy Dahl. It's not just for retrievers but there is a large amount of knowledge for young dogs and basic obedience particularly in relation to busy schedules since most owners work as well. DO NOT use the collar on without conditioning first as mentioned above. It WILL ruin the dog. My dogs LOVE the collar. They jump into it the minute they see it simply because they know and relate training to fun times ex: going outside, retrieving, playing with birds, lots of praise etc. Keep it fun with the pup and quit while they still want more.

Patience is the key, I was just emphasizing this to a client that was getting frustrated yesterday. You have to think long term. If it's done right you will set the dog up in a couple of years of training to last the lifetime of the dog. Once the dog is ruined it is very rare they will ever be what they could have been. If you get frustrated in a training session then walk away, kennel the dog, cool down and try again later. 90% positivity and 10% negativity.

Message if you feel the need for any other resources or info.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:14 am

Does it work on humans ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:49 am

Good responses. I've been fortunate that I've been able to spend a lot of time working with her inside and outside on a slip lead. She does very very well for the most part for his young as she is. The biggest issues have been we've been going on walks, off-leash, show range out further than I would like and sometimes get up on the people's yards. I put the collar on her a few days ago and haven't done anything with it other than let her carry it, today on our walk when she arranged up into someone's yards I gave her two chances to come in when she didn't I just hit her with the vibration function. She came back immediately. She did it again about 15 minutes later and after the vibration she came right back, and that was the last time she did that. At the moment I just don't foresee having to use a lot of electricity but it's nice to have it if I need it. Thanks for the responses so far.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”