Animal home ranges expanding.

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Animal home ranges expanding.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Here in west Tennessee we continue to have animals from other states showing up is your states having this issue also.

Currently we have

Black Panther out of Florida seen in Shelby county.
Cougars out of South Dakota all across west Tennessee mostly living currently in Humphreys county.

Many alligators in our local rivers from Louisiana and southern Mississippi. Now Fayette and Tipton county wolf river is full of them.

Hogs from Texas- Arkansas seen crossing 385 hwy in a large group Shelby county.

With scouting cameras and today's cell phones it's amazing some of the proof we have of home ranges of these animals expanding. Problem is theirs no regulations for them. The idea that in 15 years I might have all of them in my hunting areas is concerning.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Animal home ranges expanding.

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:54 pm

If you got hogs moving in it won't be 15 years before you are fighting with them.
Wild pigs have a gestation period of 115 days any where from 1-12 per litter and can have 2 litters per year.
so taking an avg of 6 pigs which my experience is most I see here in florida are closer to 10 per litter. Every sow is putting 12 more in the population a year.
And a sow is first bred between 6 and 8 months old.
20 to 30 pig sounders are pretty common in my hunting areas and some get much much larger. 10 breeders is 60 new pigs round one of a year with 30ish of those being breedable the next go around during the year making that 40 breeders putting out 240 pigs and 120 more breeders.
Most of the data I have seen says small litters are male heavy and large litters are female heavy hence the 50/50 ratio in the example.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm with ya here in tn. I think hogs are our greatest concern. The gators and Cougars won't be much problem for adults. No season for them is also tough.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
connorc9092
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/connor.choate.5

Unread postby connorc9092 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm from Southern Oklahoma and hogs are one of the biggest challenges facing wildlife there; they're extremely destructive and produce an enormous amount of offspring. Which is a bad combo. My family still owns land there and we welcome any and all hog hunters because they've destroyed our wheat fields for years. My advice to you, kill every one of them you can because if you don't, in 5 years they will be everywhere.
- CC

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”