Coyote attack in New York

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ognennyy
500 Club

Re: Coyote attack in New York

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:44 pm

My only fear of being outright attacked by a coyote is that its rabid. Aside from other reasons already stated (proximity to den, protection of young coy cubs) it's the only reason a coyote would attack a full grown male human, the act of which is certainly suicide for such a small animal. They don't really pose a threat to us.

Having said that, I did run into two last year while walking to my stand in the complete dark at around 5am. I had my red headlamp on and turned my head up to my right. I saw two pairs of red eyes shining at me. I'd be lying if I said the sight didn't give me pause before I walked toward them and said something to the affect of "scram". Predictably they immediately ran away.

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:40 pm

I went out to Glass a bean field last week, and during the course of my time there I saw three coyotes, all within a stones throw. the last one that I saw was on my walk out, I passed it just at dark. Shortly after i walked by, it started to yip and howl. Then the others joined in! They seemed to stay about the same distance behind me, and i didn't have a flash light. I have to admit, that was a bit of an unnerving mile and a half walk.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:11 am

A couple nights ago I was I had a run in with a coyote right in my yard. It was dark out and I was on my patio with my youngest 2 children. They were next to the sliding door to the house and I was facing the house on my hands and knees looking down into my dug well that I was pumping out.

My 1.5 y.o. started crying and I didn't think much of it. Then my 3.5 y.o. started almost whimper crying and he's staring past me with a terrified look! I whipped around and there's a large coyote at about 20 ft coming slowly toward me.

I hollered and waved my arms at it. And it stood it's ground. I picked up a patio chair and hurled it at it and it ran about 60 ft and turned and started growling at me. I whipped around and pushed kids inside and grabbed my .22 from the kitchen but by the time I located my mag for it the thing was gone.

Lesson learned.. need to keep a full mag ready to go. Not sure what it was going to do but neighbors have been seeing coyotes also and had a stare down with a big one also. That things gotta go!
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:43 am

Tsom wrote:A couple nights ago I was I had a run in with a coyote right in my yard. It was dark out and I was on my patio with my youngest 2 children. They were next to the sliding door to the house and I was facing the house on my hands and knees looking down into my dug well that I was pumping out.

My 1.5 y.o. started crying and I didn't think much of it. Then my 3.5 y.o. started almost whimper crying and he's staring past me with a terrified look! I whipped around and there's a large coyote at about 20 ft coming slowly toward me.

I hollered and waved my arms at it. And it stood it's ground. I picked up a patio chair and hurled it at it and it ran about 60 ft and turned and started growling at me. I whipped around and pushed kids inside and grabbed my .22 from the kitchen but by the time I located my mag for it the thing was gone.

Lesson learned.. need to keep a full mag ready to go. Not sure what it was going to do but neighbors have been seeing coyotes also and had a stare down with a big one also. That things gotta go!

Scary stuff with the kids around. Coyotes are usually opportunists.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:07 am

I'm in the same boat as Johnny, Some large preditor's will always be around, but do we need more, don't think so. When my oldest was about 4 (2005 ish time frame) we had a yote run between our yard and the neighbor's, she was out front with my wife, scarred the wife pretty good.

Bro-in-law sent me this dating back to 1920 near Seymour, WI. and you wonder why the were exterminated in the lower 48.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:17 am

mag1 wrote:I'm in the same boat as Johnny, Some large preditor's will always be around, but do we need more, don't think so. When my oldest was about 4 (2005 ish time frame) we had a yote run between our yard and the neighbor's, she was out front with my wife, scarred the wife pretty good.

Bro-in-law sent me this dating back to 1920 near Seymour, WI. and you wonder why the were exterminated in the lower 48.

Team people +1
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:46 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
Tsom wrote:A couple nights ago I was I had a run in with a coyote right in my yard. It was dark out and I was on my patio with my youngest 2 children. They were next to the sliding door to the house and I was facing the house on my hands and knees looking down into my dug well that I was pumping out.

Scary stuff with the kids around. Coyotes are usually opportunists.

No kidding. No telling what might have happened if I wasnt out there. It's probably coming around because we have chickens that we let run around during the day. I was just shocked that it was so brazen. I've had a couple of them almost run right into me while scouting. Bent over to grab a stick and they bolted.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:35 am

Three top reasons I carry a 9mm in public land woods:

1.) Unwanted pit bulls being dumped on public land. This happens quite often where I live. A friend of mine was treed last year by 2 angry pits.
2) Rabid or attacking coyotes. I haven't had this happen yet, but the threat is real.
3) Sub-humans attempting to cause severe bodily injury or death to me or others. Luckily no encounters yet - let's hope never.

I agree with Dan. A handgun would have been a very handy tool to take care of that coyote situation. As an Ohio CHL holder, I would probably be arrested and fined in NY for shooting that coyote even though it presented a life threatening danger to that man's children. But I'd do it anyway and try to plea it down to a misdemeanor charge.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:39 am

that's one of a huge animal, look like it could of went 200lbs plus unless the angle makes it look bigger

I have great Pyrenees and this guy would of eaten them for lunch

mag1 wrote:I'm in the same boat as Johnny, Some large preditor's will always be around, but do we need more, don't think so. When my oldest was about 4 (2005 ish time frame) we had a yote run between our yard and the neighbor's, she was out front with my wife, scarred the wife pretty good.

Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:11 am

G-Patt wrote:Three top reasons I carry a 9mm in public land woods:

1.) Unwanted pit bulls being dumped on public land. This happens quite often where I live. A friend of mine was treed last year by 2 angry pits.
2) Rabid or attacking coyotes. I haven't had this happen yet, but the threat is real.
3) Sub-humans attempting to cause severe bodily injury or death to me or others. Luckily no encounters yet - let's hope never.

I agree with Dan. A handgun would have been a very handy tool to take care of that coyote situation. As an Ohio CHL holder, I would probably be arrested and fined in NY for shooting that coyote even though it presented a life threatening danger to that man's children. But I'd do it anyway and try to plea it down to a misdemeanor charge.

im worried most about starving juvenile bears where im from ive seen them before running deer in winter all skin and bones. only thing i can carry legally is bear mase in NJ unless its coyote season then i carry a 870 full of number 4 buck.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
stratocasterNJ

Unread postby stratocasterNJ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:21 pm

dan wrote:Here is the story about the country singer who was killed by coyotes:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/1 ... index.html

Dan,
Not to go totally off topic. But you all in WI have a pretty serious population of wolves from everything I've read from the DNR and you also have a new governor who as far as I can see is definitely on the side of the anti-wolf hunting crowd. To add, you also some extreme environmental group "Wolf Patrol" or some such thing that follows hunters around up in the north end of the state and harasses them.
So Dan, we as hunters are conservationists and understand "balance, carrying capacity etc". Since the numbers of canis lupis have exceeded the goals set by USFWS in WI (800+/-)and your neighbor MN now has well over 2000 wolves and MI has 300+, not even considering MT, WY ID and now wolves are in ND as well, what was the point of the courts stepping in and stopping the de-listing in 2014? If it was just the HSUS lawsuit then it is totally political. If the policy objective that was set by USFWS was exceeded I don't see any other point to the halting of the de-listing than political pressure. Since I don't live in the mid-west I may not totally understand the issues. Elaborate if you wish here or start a new thread if appropriate since you are more of an authority being from WI. Thank you.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 am

stratocasterNJ wrote:
dan wrote:Here is the story about the country singer who was killed by coyotes:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/1 ... index.html

Dan,
Not to go totally off topic. But you all in WI have a pretty serious population of wolves from everything I've read from the DNR and you also have a new governor who as far as I can see is definitely on the side of the anti-wolf hunting crowd. To add, you also some extreme environmental group "Wolf Patrol" or some such thing that follows hunters around up in the north end of the state and harasses them.
So Dan, we as hunters are conservationists and understand "balance, carrying capacity etc". Since the numbers of canis lupis have exceeded the goals set by USFWS in WI (800+/-)and your neighbor MN now has well over 2000 wolves and MI has 300+, not even considering MT, WY ID and now wolves are in ND as well, what was the point of the courts stepping in and stopping the de-listing in 2014? If it was just the HSUS lawsuit then it is totally political. If the policy objective that was set by USFWS was exceeded I don't see any other point to the halting of the de-listing than political pressure. Since I don't live in the mid-west I may not totally understand the issues. Elaborate if you wish here or start a new thread if appropriate since you are more of an authority being from WI. Thank you.

You are correct in your assumption that it is politically motivated.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Dan in good old ny you wouldn't be able to legally carry your 15 rounds in a mag. I'm surprised the next article wasn't about saving the poor little coyote. (I hate this state)

A few years ago I couldn't leave a wounded deer over night. I had two different bucks within 4 hours of the hit already getting their hind ends eaten off. Last year a new neighbor moved in and coyote hunts with dogs. He's a machine, I've never seen anything like it. For the first time in a long time I haven't even seen a coyote track this season.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:23 am

A couple of years ago we met a guy bow hunting in The Land Between the Lakes here in West KY. He was from Wisconsin if I remember correctly. One of the first things he said was "You guys have a real coyote problem down here." He said on more then one occasion he would blow on his grunt call and multiple coyotes came to him. We laughed. Yea there are a bunch of coyotes there. It will send chills down your spine to hear them howl right a dusk when you're way back in there.

Then a few months ago my son was talking to the head wildlife manager at LBL and he said they have noticed coyotes are adapting. There is not much food for them at LBL and their #1 food source has become deer. They have started working together similar to wolves to take down deer. He also said coyotes are a major problem to the deer growth at LBL.

I wondered how long it would be before they start eyeing humans.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”