Removing Beavers To Prevent Flooding

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Naught Spy

Removing Beavers To Prevent Flooding

Unread postby Double Naught Spy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:01 am

I have three landowners with beaver problems, including my parents. In each case when I am asked to deal with beaver issues, it is because they are doing unwanted damage, or because they have created a dam, backing up water and causing undue flooding. I hunt beaver, often in the water. That comes with some ricochet risks and so I have to be very conservative in choosing my hunting directions. In the water, beaver are often a challenging target, usually only showing their head, and if hit, may simply disappear from view. I have had them sink, sink and float up the next day (only way I knew they were killed), thrash about briefly on the surface, roll over on the surface, etc. and sometimes when I make a shot that I think is good, having them disappear momentarily only to have them emerge a few yards away. So I am not ever certain if a hit is good unless I have confirmation of the hit.

On this first property, I hunted it last year and managed to kill enough beaver that we were no longer seeing them swimming and they no longer repaired the dam we would break open. They are back and the pool level had risen, flooding water into surrounding low areas an onto the neighbor's property. This was my first night back and there and won't be my last. It is a 10 acre little lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzugbTILrio&feature=youtu.be

This second property was new to me, but I hunt elsewhere for the landowner. Beaver had invaded the stock tank and had backed up the water far enough that it was draining into an adjoining field, preventing the landowner from getting in to do field work, getting it ready for livestock. Previously, he had shot a couple during daylight hours, but they had gotten wise to him and were solely rebuilding their dam at night. So he called me in to hunt them at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPtlrJ2wfY&feature=youtu.be

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Removing Beavers To Prevent Flooding

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 am

Although not as fun, trapping is a good way to lower the numbers.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 am

Cool video nice shooting! Thanks for sharing
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:50 am

I worked for a farmer while in high school. Beaver moved in and dammed up a creek through his cornfield, flooded the corn along the creek so they could swim up to stalks and cut them down. He called in the conservation officers who helped him dynamite the dam in January. Being frozen in Iowa then, the beaver couldn't swim under the ice to get at the food they stored. Probably starved/frozed to death.
Double Naught Spy

Unread postby Double Naught Spy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 am

I tried trapping at my folks place. It worked, but was more messy and a lot more work considering I don't harvest the pelts. Shooting just seems more efficient.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 am

There's something particularly gratifying about blasting stuff in calm water with a high-powered rifle!
(Only where it's safe of course.)

My Dad used to tell me the story of two cronies he knew who stood on the Hwy "P" bridge, right in the heart of Cross Plains, WI over the (now-world-recognized trout stream Black Earth Creek) and blasting trout out of the water with a .30-06 M1 Garand!
A concerned resident called the town constable, and he joined them, adding to the fun with his duty revolver!

1930's-different world.

I'd bet they didn't have fishing licenses, either!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:10 am

I would trap them, at least on the neighbors land. Trapping is fun and addictive. Also you can make money. Adc- animal damage control. You can make money on the pelts and you can sell them green so there isn't much work involved and you can charge money for each beaver you catch.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”