Bees

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Bees

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:21 am

Every time I get serious scouting this time of year I get lit up by bees. Anyone else encounter yellow jackets scouting. Good thing I'm not allergic, I'd be dead.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
headgear
500 Club

Re: Bees

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:47 am

I had a terrible run in with some ground bees under "the tree" next to a transition line and small island. I was setting up in stealth mode it became clear I needed to run away fast, 2nd trip back to the tree I grabbed my stand and gear and had to run again. During the 2nd run the swamp blew up with deer high tailing it away from my bee tree. :lol: Ended up hitting plan B & C that night and never saw a deer but at least I didn't get stung.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:31 pm

I set up a tent once in the dark and didn't realize that we were on top of a ground hive. Apparently bees don't go out much after dark. But they certainly didn't like it with the tent blocking them up the next morning.

It was pretty fun taking that tent down, but I got all of the stakes.

Still makes me chuckle... :doh:
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Seems dry years for whatever reason are the ones I have the most issues with bees. Hasn’t been a problem lately.

Bees actually helped me kill a buck on opening day awhile back. The tree I had picked out during spring scouting was taken over by bees so I had to relocate to a different much smaller tree 30 yards away. That ended up putting me in a perfect position for an up close kill shot. The buck came from his bed as scripted but then took a different trail at the last second. If I had sat in the original bee tree I would not have had a shot at that buck. I really liked those bees that day.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:00 am

I am a bee keeper and will tell you that in the mid west the Honey Bees are no threat.

So now I have to yell at some of you, YELLOW JACKETS ARE NOT BEES!!!!! THEY ARE A WASP....

If your scouting you should have no problems with yellow jackets or even the white faced hornet.

Your looking on th eground for travel signs so should see the ground dewelling yellow jackets ahead of time.
Your looking at trees also for places to place a stand so should se eth big paper mache bald face hornet nest.

Sounds like your just taking a strool thru the woods rather than scouting.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”