Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Bite stories!

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 pm

What type of critters have bitten you? Come on, I know you been munched once or twice, lets hear about it!

Here is mine (And I bet I win with the best bites )

1) Several dog bites that have resulted in many scars and stitchs. Mostly from a black nasty mut my Dad wouldn't kill cause he promised his sister on her death bed he would take care of it. One other dog bit me a good one in the face when I was about 6 and teased it with a treat at the end of his chain... Got a little to close But I bit him back!

2) A snapping turtle got me in the achilies heel. I was trieing to catch a double. I saw two together, got the 1st one and flung it behind me and went after the next one that was about to fade away into the murky Menomomee river. Smack! from behind, little basterd got me good. It took a couple tries with a stick to loosen his bite. I was about 9 or 10 at the time and used to catch the turtles for an old bar owner friend of my Dads who would give me a few bucks each turtle and save me a bowl of soup. Soooo I guess I bit the turtle back too.

3) Ok, officially "not a bite" but this one ranks for effort. I was about 6 or 7, and kept seeing a chipmunk poke his head out of a hole. So being the icreadably smart child I was, I devised a plan to catch me a pet chipmunk! I laid behind the hole still as a statue, HAND READY FOR THE GRAB. Suddenly the little rodent poked his head out and my hand carreemed down for the grab..... Missing the much faster than expected rodent and slamming into a busted coke bottle that slashed my wrist and hand wide open spraying blood all over everything I took about 10 years off Ma Infalts life with that one, and got some great scars to show off.

4) Caught a 5 pound northern on a rapala plug when I was about 16 and was trieing to get the hooks out when a violent jump from the fish hooked me to the rapala hooked in the fish mouth... No stitchs, but he did a number on me, enough so, that when I got done RAPIDLY unhooking him, he was no longer releaseable.

5) All the coons I had caught had given me minor nips, but I had NEVER gotten bit... Till recently when we had three year old coons that had gotten into things in my barn and needed to be relocated. I had to corner them in a crawl space while my Wife Carol held a burlap sack for me to toss them into. The 1st 2 went ok, but the last one did a little spin move and got ontop of my hand and did the tasmanian devil There goes the perfect record.

6)Opossum... To slow for an old pro like me Or so I thought. I used to catch and trap hundreds of them stinky little when I was a kid. I used to go looking for them with a burlap sack and chase em down and catch em alive. An old farmer dude used to give me a few bucks for em. He ate em and sold the hides, and I didn't have to skin em... Never ever got bit till a few years ago while hunting with John Gilles (the Guy who made the big donation to the deer contest) We were gun deer hunting on the last day of the season and I heard something comeing with only a little time left before closeing time. Turned out to be a possum. I tried to let him just walk his huge self by, but he got to where I set up my stuff at the base of the tree before climbing and just sat there sniffing dan funk... Well, ain't no opossum keeping me up a tree. Soooo, Dan Infalt "SUPER GENIUS" devised a plan... I decided I would lower my gun right on top of the ol bug eyed rat and send him off running through the forest. As the gun got within a few inchs the possum freaked. He puffed up and walked backwards to behind the tree and just sat there motionless. I worked the string and got the gun to swing around and end up lying right next to him on the back side of the tree...
By this time, I could hear ol John coming, and decided enough playing with possums, it was time to pack gear. So I crawled out of the ol Lone Wolf and carefully unhooked it and packed it onto my back and started climbing down unhooking each climbing stick as I passed it. By the time I got down, I had forgotten all about my little buddy on the other side of the tree. I packed my climbers onto the stand and while on my knees, reached around the tree to get the ol shotgun and ... MUNCH! That little buzzard sunk a canine almost completly throuh my finger.... It was quite the job getting him to let go. When he did, John wanted me to exacute him for his violations, but I felt I DESERVED the bite for not paying attention to what was going on around me. This one was my fault completely.

The other bad possum bite was last summer when me and Dan Jr and I were shineing deer and saw a possum who just "screamed" catch me on film. Well he put on quite the show as he went into over drive running full out. He was a big pig, and I WANTED A CATCH BAD. As I GOT RIGHT ON HIM, i WAS RUNNING TO FAST TO grab his tail or scruff, So "SUPER GENIUS" though, hey, if I grab his side and flip him he will slow down enough to grab the tail... MUNCH! That one should of gotten stiches.

7) Caught a big rat in my barn on video, grabbed that thing in a quick hand thrust. MUNCH. Not a bad one, but it counts. You can hear Carol yelling in the back ground "Your gonna catch typhoid"

7) Skunk... Aaahhh wait, I won't be talking about that one Lets just say Never place anything with teeth on your lap and then tease it.

With any luck, I may be able to add Wild Boar after pig fest!!!! Almost got to add bear to the list, but my dang son shot him just as he was climbing over me to play If you don't know about the bear incident, reffer to the articles section.

dan
Site Owner

Re: Bite stories!

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Oh yea... there was a time when I was about 6 or 7 and I wanted to have my own zoo. So me and my buddy Jamie Martin would go critter catching. We used to lift old pcs of garbage around the farm looking for mice and snakes. I had some mice we caught in a bucket and would put bread and corn and water in for them. One day "SUPER G" decides they have tamed and he could probably pet one. M-U-N-C-H I let all the mice go after that... Then there was the snakes... No THEY didn't bite me, but my brother Bill did after me and Jamie dumped our whole snake pit into his tent while he was sleaping and watched through the tent window as they crawled into his shirt and up his pant legs... And one just started to slither into his open mouth when suddenly the screams erupted and a very angry brother Bill came crashing out of the tent... Aint no animal ever scared me that bad!
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Dug up an old story!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

In his own words......

I never really thought about how stupid it is to get an animail with long sharp teeth all worked up while he is sitting on your lap faceing your unit..... Dumb move, My dumb move cost poor Ozzie his life. However, with all this embarrasment.... I wouldn't mind trading places with him... ( Just kidding ). When the ol Oz-man clamped down, I ripped him off of me out of reaction. Thats probably what caused his 1/2 inch long needle shaped vang to sever my vein. I didn't relize what had happened at 1st. But then I felt a warm sinsation running across my lap.
I got up and where I had been sitting was a huge puddle of blood!!! Then I looked down and blood was pooling around my foot from down my pants leg. I pulled my pants down below my waist and blood was coming out of the side of my unit in a stream as if I were urinating red out of the side of my unit... My Daughter freaked out and ran and hid, My youngest son ran to the phone and dialed 911... And that call brought sherrifs and wardens, and pramedics.... All people I know And worse, there communications were intercepted by the dreaded MEDIA Oh well... At least I didn't bleed to death.
Eventually, people will forget.... I hope. I was out of town all weekend at the Illinois deer classic, and had no idea my wife Carol had talked with a reporter!! I got back late Sunday night and went right to bed. I was greeted at work in the morning by my Boss, Mike Thomson holding up the artical and saying, Hay, Skunk Boy... I see you made the paper I sure knew then I was in for a long day.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Eventually, people will forget....
:roll:
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 am

:lol: :lol: Probably Not!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 am

Ahhhh yesssssss!!!!!! We have great memories here!!!!!!! How can a bite thread go without the infamous skunk bite!!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:03 am

What I don't remember is this, were you hospitalized? Did you have to have daily dressing changes or even more often? Just curious, you know, the nurse in me!!!!!!hehehehehehe
Bet that left a nice scar!!!!!!!Ok, I'll quit!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 am

Dan, your stories had me rolling at work. . . Gonna get in trouble one of these days.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
LenH
500 Club

Unread postby LenH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:42 am

Learned an important lesson a few opening days ago. I had my gear all ready. The reels were clean and new line on all them. I checked my net for holes and cleaned all the old line out of the eyes of the hooks. I did all of my before opening day rituals. I took my waders out of the garage. They had been hanging there all winter. I always wash my gear at the end of the season so my stuff is ready to jump right in to opening morning of the coming year. Wading boots made wet and sitting by the chair by the door. I hardly slept a wink. The day before opener I am like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to come.

I was awake before the alarm. I had placed all my gear at the kitchen table the night before . Put my wool socks on and 2 pair of long underwear. It gets pretty cold wading in 10 degree temps in March here in Wisconsin. I put my waders on and laced up my wading boots. It is 6am and I am in my truck putting on my safety belt.. I feel a little pain in my groin. I ignore it. Off I go to my favorite stream.

About 10 minutes out of town and my groin is starting to throb and get really warm. I get out of the truck and drop two pairs of long underwear and waders. Under my 2 pair of long johns is a dead spider in my fly area of my inner layer. I put it in a fly box right away.

A little closer examination revealed a emerging problem. I decided fishing is going to have to wait. I went straight home. I am allergic to most insect bites and bee stings. I gave a little extra gas because my problem was growing. The pedal was to the metal and my truck was pointed at home. By the time I was home I was walking bow legged. I tore off my waders as I got in the house. Thought I might have missed another spider.

I kicked my wife out of bed. She is a Registered Nurse. I showed her my problem. She stared in disbelief. The right side of my entire unit along with its accessories were about three times the regular size. Wife said a trip to the Emergency Room was in order. She gave me a ice pack to help with the swelling. Just before we left my wife looked at me with a smile and asked if we could use it once before we went. I just rolled my eyes at her and off we went to the ER. She responded "ONLY kidding"

The ER doctor was awaken from a evening nap. He was one of my fishin buds. He examined the problem. The first thing he asked was if I had been sleeping around. My wife answered before I could. She said absolutely NOT. I had saved the spider and showed it to him. He took the spider with him and I assumed he was going to try to identify the beast. He told me he had to go look up something he would be right back.

He returned with 6 other male staff members from the hospital to see the THING. I got a little pissed at him. He had a polaroid camera with him. He wanted to take a photo of it. I asked him why he needed a photo? Was it for diagnosing it? He just laughed and said NO. I told him no photos. The doctors had looked under the microscope and said the spider was not poisonous One of the doctors said in parting; "We sure don't need a microscope to examine him." After 8 epinephrine shots and a precautionary antibiotic shot and calming down ....I was ready to go fishing again. I remember purposely wading in deep water that day so the cold water could easy my pain

The incident was not over that morning. It was a painful reminder for me for 4 weeks. The bite caused the skin to swell so much it split in a couple places. I hate spiders .

Moral to this story.

Check your waders Opening Morning!!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 am

:o Wow, what a story Len! :o
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:14 am

Wow Len...sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing when I read your story!
And Dan, I think we've all come to "expect" things like that to happen to you! But the skunk bite story is definately a legend!! LOL!
(Just giving you a hard time!) :lol: ;)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 am

bump
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 am

I wanna hear more about the skunk since this was brought back up again!! :mrgreen:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Btoeps74

Unread postby Btoeps74 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:46 am

Bannana rat while deployed to Cuba. Was trying to hand feed it. Later that day was bit by a hypodermic needle with rabbies vaccination as a precaution lol.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:01 pm

A buddy of mine got bit right between the eyes by a brown recluse spider in his sleep in southern MS in 2004. At first, it was an oozing zit looking thing. Just gross. The next day, his forehead swelled up that it looked a golfball was lodged beneath the skin. He was freaking out as we laughed at him. He looked like a crossbreed between Matt Damon and a Klingon warrior from Star Trek. He was treated and recovered fine.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”