Hello? Any waterfowl hunters here?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Hello? Any waterfowl hunters here?

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:21 pm

It's Nov 5th 2014 in WI. And not only are these next few days a great time to buck hunt, it's also a great time to hunt migrating birds that swim in that water often. How is your season going so far? Tommorrow morning looks great to be on the Mississippi River. Gusty NW winds, 36 degrees, snow flurries, mmmmmm.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Hello? Any waterfowl hunters here?

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:15 pm

I love to hunt ducks but I love to hunt bucks more. One of these years I'll fill my deer tags early and get to hunt late season mallards. I've been waiting for that year to come for a while now. :)

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:43 am

I just purchased my stamps and plan to pass shoot hunt geese.

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:58 am

Opens here at the end of November. I usually don't get excited about it until mid December unless I'm still deer hunting
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:51 am

It’s taken me 10 plus years to become consistent at killing ducks. I am self-taught, low budget, back water, small lake hunter. I love to deer hunt and have no idea why I am drawn to waterfowl. I deer hunt a couple spots near water and would always watch ducks so I bought some used decoys from a co-worker years ago and thought I would give it a try. I go at it a little different than most. Who would want to sit in mud and stick-tights near a poo-poo covered beaver hutch at 7 a.m. waiting on some ducks (during deer season)? I guess I’m smiling the whole time the ducks circle and finally commit to my little spread of decoys. It is a beautiful sport. I hunt alone and love it. I have learned a few things from Ducks Unlimited but mostly from just going. I do my best to have a good set-up with decoys and call them in. But if they land out of range I will take it to them. The best investment I made was a good set of waders. I use a canoe (pee-row) and make blinds from natural brush like willow trees. I will work my way through the mud and brush to still hunt ducks. It sounds crazy and it’s dangerous but to me it’s hunting. I carry a long piece of bamboo as a walking stick to test the waters. I can also retrieve a duck with the bamboo pole. Most of my shots are 15-25 yards. As I have gotten older I pass on a lot of shots. I don’t use a dog and it’s no fun chasing a duck on foot or in a canoe. One other thing I have learned is the worst weather is my best duck weather, cold, wind, rain; snow makes it even more uncomfortable and dangerous.
It’s just an awesome feeling at first light to have a handful of mallards silently come out of nowhere and land right in front of you. Sometimes I just sit still, watch the ducks and feel sorry for my waterfowl critics; I get all warm inside and think man I did it! I take the safety off, pick out a duck; rise up out of the brush and its game on! Hunt like a Beast!
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:03 am

A couple Teal I shot and the blind the Beaver made for me.

oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 am

Took a break from deer hunting and shot a couple Mallards.

oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 am

Well (john1984) I guess there aren't many waterfowl guys on a deer hunting forum. I’m probably not a waterfowl guy either, just a deer hunter that shots a couple duck now and then.

Below is my high tech decoy spread, two drakes and a hen I have on a string, some call it a jerk line. It’s a challenge to call, jerk the cord and shoot but I get-err-done!

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:23 am

I love going but I usually wait til December every thing is iced over but the river and some major creeks. I float the river in my kayak with 1/2 dozen decoys. It is the easiest way to get a limit around here, it's not uncommon to see hundreds of ducks with this timing and method. I may try to get out this weekend. I'll post pictures if I do.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:40 am

I have went a couple times this year but we don't have many birds yet. We need some cold weather to push some down. killed a gadwall but that's it for me. We are making a 4 day weekend at the shop this year for Christmas and I hope to be out then. I'm trying to do a bunch of deer scouting right now also so it's a fight with my free time.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:56 am

Once upon a time I was pretty hard core, then I picked up a bow and everything changed. 8-)
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:02 am

oneflag wrote:Took a break from deer hunting and shot a couple Mallards.

Those are 2 trophy ducks right there oneflag. Looks like a pretty place to hunt . You don't need to shoot limits of ducks to be a waterfowl guy. I wonder if anybody has been goose hunting recently on the Mississippi River. I seen an article once about some wisconsin hunters that wear inner tubes around there chest waders when walking on ice on the big miss while setting up decoys for goose hunting.

robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:42 am

A little late with response but I'm a "dirty-bird" hunter!

Ferryville, Desoto and Tichigan duck hunter!
RJR-007
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Ducks and gees are just too good to eat to only deer hunt! I usually get a couple scouting/ jump shoots in a year. Got a couple of geese this morning checking a deer spot. I'm not much for sitting over decoys. Belly crawled 100 yards through a marsh to get to them!

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Kraftd wrote:Ducks and gees are just too good to eat to only deer hunt! I usually get a couple scouting/ jump shoots in a year. Got a couple of geese this morning checking a deer spot. I'm not much for sitting over decoys. Belly crawled 100 yards through a marsh to get to them!

Awesome

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”