UP Grouse

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

UP Grouse

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 am

Went for a 4 day trip to the Upper Peninsula of MI. Was a trip to do a little work on my Garage, do a little hunting, and did a road tour through the Hiawatha National Forest and the Lake Superior State Forest. These are on and around the Garden Peninsula of Michigan's UP. Saw a lot of grouse, and rarely do I hunt them, but ended up with 3. Even on my little 20 acres up there I flushed 4 grouse, one morning shot and missed one. Dang things are hard to hit. Then I got my next 3.

I had a post a while back about a fins and feathers article saying the grouse were supposed to be down. Also heard good report on the Mike Avery show this morning traveling back, saying grouse were supposed to be down based on the 10 yr cycle, but due to the favorable weather this spring they appear strong. I saw the same. Most grouse I remember, even decided to chase them instead of fall turkeys because of my observations.

Here are a few pics
my first one Friday morning in the Hiawatha.

some pics from my 6 hour journey

Then Friday night went over to Stonington Peninsula to visit Camp Bushy. My good friend Dave, his wife Dixie, son Jamie, and friend Stretch were in camp getting things ready for the upcoming rifle deer season. Spent the night there, and Saturday morning Dave, his dog eddy and myself scared a couple more grouse in the back of the truck.

When driving around the Garden Peninsula and the Stonington Penisula, It is just nuts how many deer you see during the day especially on the Stonington.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
gatorbait42

Re: UP Grouse

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:59 am

Would love to go up north and chase grouse sometime, we just don't have many in Ohio anymore.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Re: UP Grouse

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 am

Looks like a blast!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”