Hello? Any waterfowl hunters here?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Hello? Any waterfowl hunters here?

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Pass shot while taking a break from checkin traps.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Good shootin Zap. Don't throw away the drum sticks , they have more flavor than the breast IMO .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:00 am

I braise thee legs and thighs until they're failng apart then make bbq pulled goose out of them. Way too much meat to waste there.
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:33 pm

would rather watch birds work a call and see a good dog work than deer hunt any day. I only sat in the tree stand one evening all season. Never got into geese like usual, but had my best season on pheasants along with lots of good duck hunts too. A few pics from a handful of hunts from the pups first season.

Last edited by crappieangler on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Love the colors of birds too, makes hunting them that much more enjoyable to me. Everything about them is pretty, and in my opinion one of god's greatest creations.

oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 am

Nice decoy spread and great pictures.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:03 am

I goose hunt till deer season opens. Usually get a dozen or so a yr. I used to do it alot more when I was younger. I enjoy it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:32 am

I finally got me a couple geese. Over the years of duck hunting I always thought that I would eventually shoot a goose. I have missed a few but never officially connected. Our duck season ended a couple weeks ago but geese stayed in a bit longer. Targeting just geese can be difficult, at least that’s my experience. No matter how or where I setup my four floater decoys, the geese would land out of range. They sure don’t work like ducks and can be very stubborn. Plus I am not an experienced caller. I finally had to make a more secluded blind and just be patient. I got lucky and had three pass over within range and took one down. Then the last 10 minutes of season I figured I would get my decoys and call it quits. With one decoy still on the water I heard geese coming so I got back to my homemade blind. With ripples still on the water from me retrieving decoys, two geese splashed right down in front of me.

Now it’s time to hit the woods and do some scouting!

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:43 am

Nice pictures guys. crappieangler , looks like you had a fun season. Nothin prettier than a rooster pheasant and a drake woodduck

crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Congrats on harvesting your first geese one flag. I started hunting about 7 or 8 years ago, and i'll never forget my first hunts. I agree they can be challenging at times. If you have any questions I could possibly help you with some basics if you're interested. Hoping to get into a few dark geese down south in the next couple of weeks before switching over to snows.

I agree John, they are definitely a couple of my favorite birds out there b/c of the variety of colors, but it's hard to limit it down to just a couple. They all have their own unique qualities that make them pretty and challenging to hunt.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:28 am

I put together a redneck duck boat, your thoughts?

It needs to be beached to shoot out of but its more roomy than my (pee-row) or kayak.
Also has a trolling motor and I put the battery up front at the bow.

No ducks yet this season, it has been to warm.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:20 am

oneflag wrote:I put together a redneck duck boat, your thoughts?

It needs to be beached to shoot out of but its more roomy than my (pee-row) or kayak.
Also has a trolling motor and I put the battery up front at the bow.

No ducks yet this season, it has been to warm.

That's a sweet lookin blind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:25 am

I used to be a huge waterfowl guy but the pressure here in western NY has gone bonkers. We have less flyway action for peddlers than ever before but resident geese are thick if you do your scouting w early season limits at 15 per Hunter.

Due to the whitetail obsession (and this is totally the wrong state for that) I usually only hunt geese in our sept and march seasons... Maybe divers on the niagara river for the week after Christmas.

Anybody who doesn't like eating well prepared ducks and geese has bumped their head and burned their tongue too many times.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:06 am

I'm a big duck hunter. Been doing it since I was 7 I'm 31 now. Live on Mississippi flyway. The boat is a cool rig but the lower profile u can get the better an more brush. U wanna feel like u can't see anything where u have to brake some limbs to make a hole to shoot out of. If u can't get the blind lower more brush an shove it up in a bunch of brush to blend it in. But it's also about the spot an new birds. I've seen it when u could stand in the hole with any color shirt on jumping up an down an it didn't matter the ducks where still gonna come in.

oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:52 am

TNstalker wrote:I'm a big duck hunter. Been doing it since I was 7 I'm 31 now. Live on Mississippi flyway. The boat is a cool rig but the lower profile u can get the better an more brush. U wanna feel like u can't see anything where u have to brake some limbs to make a hole to shoot out of. If u can't get the blind lower more brush an shove it up in a bunch of brush to blend it in. But it's also about the spot an new birds. I've seen it when u could stand in the hole with any color shirt on jumping up an down an it didn't matter the ducks where still gonna come in.

Thanks for your ideas, you are right, I like to blend in as much as possible, I started out years ago just making a small nest/blind out of available brush where I was hunting. I still want to keep it simple but I am trying to take some of the work out of setting up. The blind is actually a ground blind I mounted on the boat, next hunt I am going to take it off the boat for the hunt, just use the boat to get me and blind to a spot, I have burlap to cover up boat. I will post another picture if the ducks start to show up and I hunt. I don’t live in a great area for ducks but it’s a very slow season with the warm weather.

Years ago I used a big red canoe. I was standing in the water picking up decoys and throwing them to the bank near canoe. Ducks came out of nowhere and tried to land, my gun was in the canoe, yes, anything can happen when you’re huntin.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”