Devils Lake, ND Duck Hunting

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Goober

Devils Lake, ND Duck Hunting

Unread postby Goober » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Headed out in 11 days to west of Devils Lake ND to do some duck hunting. Should be alot of fun, I am pretty pumped up for it. 4 guys and 2 dogs, all of us are fairly new duck hunters, so I hope we can manage some success. Anyone ever spend any time out there?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Devils Lake, ND Duck Hunting

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Good luck Goob... Take a lot of pictures.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:13 am

Yep Ive hunted out there, Its awesome if you time it right. Regardless a bad day of duck hunting there is a great day in WI. Good Luck.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 pm

5 guys shot our limit today! Lots of divers. The migration hasn't happened yet so pretty slow, but we are getting it done! Bad news though, camera got a little wet when I took a spill in the water today, so gonna be short on pics.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:18 pm

well, made it home safe. Not without costs' though. We jack-knifed 1 truck with the boat on it, busted the trailer in half. had to leave our boat and all of our gear in Carrington, ND. It was the worst driving conditions I have ever been in. We were suprised to find them that bad on the highways. On tuesday, we had the best hunting of anyones lives as the storm rolled in in the a.m., hunting an island on a small pond. Unfortunately, we overstayed our welcome and damn near died getting off of the island. We waded out there with a small 12' flat bottom boat to tow equipment with. On the way out, waist deep water with choppy water, 38 degrees. On the way back to the truck, 3-4' whitecap rollers (no exegeration, dead serious) 34 degrees, sleeting sideways, 40-50 mph north west winds. Sank the boat. Carried all equipment by hand, causing 4-5 trips per person across 150 yards of soft-bottomed muck, with the crashing waves almost knocking us down every step, and water filling our waders and dreching our clothes with every wave. Pretty intense stuff. We were right on the edge of ditching all of our equipment. But man was that hunting awesome!!! Those birds were locking up and comiiting, and our set-up on a point was ideal. The birds were literally motionless at about 15 yards away trying to land into the wind. We would shoot, send the dogs, and before we could reload, get the dogs back, and get back into our layout blinds, there were more ducks coming in!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:39 pm

It sounds like an excitement filled trip. I'm glad you made it back in one piece!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Now that is some dedicated duck hunting!!!!!! Congrats on making it home alive and with your limits!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
CatfishJack

Unread postby CatfishJack » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:45 pm

I have hunted right on the east side of devils lake and had the best duck hunt of my life in 2001. We jumped a big shallow pond that had hundreds of ducks on it. Us 5 set up decoys and waited for the birds to come back. Fantastic shooting. Again, best hunt i ever had. I enjoy going to ND on occasion and will continue to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”