FIRST REAL HUNT WITH MY BOY

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

FIRST REAL HUNT WITH MY BOY

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:24 am

Went out for the first hunt of they year. Met a few friends for some dove hunting and took Corb along. He had a blast and I think he is a hunter for life. The first thing he said to his mom when he came home was, "MOMMMMMA!!! CAN I GO DUB HUNTIN' TOMOROOOW?"

Taking him out in the outdoors is so much more fun than hunting by myself or fishing by myself. To see him learn a lot and just have a blast is the best feeling ever.

Looking for incoming doves.

Can I shoot them dad?

This is the best game face ever!

He is saying "He's dead"

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
xpauliber
500 Club

Re: FIRST REAL HUNT WITH MY BOY

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:36 am

Looks awesome! I enjoy the same right now with my 5 year old boy and my 3 year old daughter. They both love fishing and picnics and just being outdoors with me. Haven't taken either of them hunting yet but we talk about it.

Looks like he had a blast!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:50 am

:clap:

Dub hunting :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:57 am

He got to learn a lot yesterday, letting people know you are walking in and not to shoot that way, recognizing where hunters are, not loading your gun until you are away from houses, picking up all of your empties, picking up garbage that isn't even yours, and wearing ear protection.

Hope to get a couple more dove hunts in before archery. I might try to set up a ground blind close to home and maybe take him out for a deer hunt.

Every year that gos by it gets more and more fun with him.

As soon as I get home he is asking me if we can get my turkey calls out and call in turkeys and such. He just flat out loves it. I always give him a choice of what he wants to do though. I am not going to force it on him and burn him out. When he starts to lose interest we leave, or I try and talk to him about stuff. It really is a blast.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:15 am

Ah yes, good times. I used to take my son a lot. I remember him looking under goose decoys trying to find where I hid the donuts. He used to walk some nasty areas with me in the spring. Places most hunters would never go and he trudged right along following me. Then he got an Xbox for Christmas and those fun days with dad are in the past. He will go out if I ask him, but he doesn't initiate the idea like he used to. 3-9 are the best years, enjoy them. I thought taking him out young would make him a hunter for life, but not sure it works that way. I used to beg my dad to take me and he didn't till I was old enough to legally hunt. Maybe the desire of the unknown got me hooked? Would be an i teresting thread, when did you get to start going out hunting type post.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:37 am

I am not sure I am going to be getting him an x box or anything like that. I never had one growing up. We were constantly out side. He does enjoy playing on my cell phone but it is cabelas big game hunter and such. I think it is all about balance. if we do get a game consol he will be limited to a certain number of hours a week. I saw the same thing you described with my nephew. He was all gun ho for turkey season but now he doesn't want to walk, and only wants to go out for a little bit so he can go play his x box. I hate those things. LOL
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:13 am

:dance:

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:29 am

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Lewis1303

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:33 am

Interesting article relating to kids and tech devices.

By NICK BILTON
When Steve Jobs was running Apple, he was known to call journalists to either pat them on the back for a recent article or, more often than not, explain how they got it wrong. I was on the receiving end of a few of those calls. But nothing shocked me more than something Mr. Jobs said to me in late 2010 after he had finished chewing me out for something I had written about an iPad shortcoming.

“So, your kids must love the iPad?” I asked Mr. Jobs, trying to change the subject. The company’s first tablet was just hitting the shelves. “They haven’t used it,” he told me. “We limit how much technology our kids use at home.”

I’m sure I responded with a gasp and dumbfounded silence. I had imagined the Jobs’s household was like a nerd’s paradise: that the walls were giant touch screens, the dining table was made from tiles of iPads and that iPods were handed out to guests like chocolates on a pillow.

Nope, Mr. Jobs told me, not even close.

Since then, I’ve met a number of technology chief executives and venture capitalists who say similar things: they strictly limit their children’s screen time, often banning all gadgets on school nights, and allocating ascetic time limits on weekends.

I was perplexed by this parenting style. After all, most parents seem to take the opposite approach, letting their children bathe in the glow of tablets, smartphones and computers, day and night.

Yet these tech C.E.O.’s seem to know something that the rest of us don’t.

Chris Anderson, the former editor of Wired and now chief executive of 3D Robotics, a drone maker, has instituted time limits and parental controls on every device in his home. “My kids accuse me and my wife of being fascists and overly concerned about tech, and they say that none of their friends have the same rules,” he said of his five children, 6 to 17. “That’s because we have seen the dangers of technology firsthand. I’ve seen it in myself, I don’t want to see that happen to my kids.”

"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
staincat

Unread postby staincat » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:30 am

Great story and great article. I never had that stuff growing up and now they are everywhere. Even myself I will say that smart phones get in the way of things. Too easy to be distracted. Will be a challenge raising children with all this availible so instantly and even in schools that are iPad instead of paper.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:11 am

That is awesome!

My first and probably only kid is a girl, she's 15 months now and I am excited to do this!
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:55 am

Awesome!!!!! :D :clap: :dance:
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:23 am

That's awesome!!

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:39 am

Great stuff all the way around!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”