Needing some tips on duck hunting...newbie

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

burtle

Needing some tips on duck hunting...newbie

Unread postby burtle » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:32 pm

hey guys I want to start duck hunting. Can anyone give me advice on how to get started ?

I've never been and I don't know anyone who duck hunts.

john1984

Re: Needing some tips on duck hunting...newbie

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:52 pm

same principles preached by Dan on big bucks but use them for big Ducks. scout, and hunt where they are, not where you wish they would be.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Pick up some cheap/used decoys off craigslist. Hunt with wind to your back, they like to decoy into the wind. Calling isn't super important so starting out I wouldn't worry about it. Less trees around a body of water the better the ducks will like it. If the ducks are moving fast you will have to lead them a bit. A little scouting will help, try and located some birds before hunting an area if you can. If not hunt anyway and have fun.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Ducks are all about location. If you find a spot that they want to be, that is 90% of the battle. The other 10% is you getting in that spot and staying still until they are in range. You don't need a ton of decoys in this situation. They already want to be where you are so if all you have is a dozen mallards that might be all that it takes. Don't get carried away with the calls. If you have one and you're good at it give them a few feeding chuckles but don't over do it. I've found a lot of times with ducks and deer that less is more. There's nothing worse than a bad caller in the marsh. You can hear the guy from a mile away, it sounds like drunken donald duck. If you have the spot you'll get birds.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:38 am

If you hunt rivers- look for blow downs and gaps in the tree lines along the rivers. Ducks like to hangout in the slack water and cover that the blow downs give them. The gaps in the tree line along the river will act like a funnel for them to enter and exit the river. I put out 3-5 dekes and rarely call...on rivers and small ponds. I stay away from the big marshes unless I'm floating the rivers...which is a lot of fun too!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks for all of the replies! I found 30 decoys on craigslist brand new still in the box for 100.00. Guy says they retail for well over 200.00.

Not sure on which shotgun to go with. I have a Remington pump as of now (12gauge)
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:23 pm

A 870 Remington pump will work. Make sure you have a plug in it. I would also recommend jump shooting. It will help you learn to locate areas for ducks.

Do you have a Dog? I've retrieved ducks before for myself it can suck with current. If not, Then I would suggest pot holes and later in the season when those big northern birds come down and laying out in a picked corn field. That's my favorite (also means i got a buck tag filled) but it can take some road scouting and asking for permission which isn't bad for duck hunting. The more iced up the better.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:20 pm

FRH wrote:Ducks are all about location. If you find a spot that they want to be, that is 90% of the battle.

Truth. Whether you're hunting a slew or field, you need to be where the ducks are active. Don't think you're going to set up in a slew with no ducks in it, throw out some decoys and get some action.

Also, unless you've really got a hot spot, ducks tend to get burned out pretty quick when it comes to hunting pressure.

They always land into the wind. Always. Read up on how to place decoy spreads... also a robo duck or spinning wing decoy can be a gold mine. Ducks LOVE motion in your spread. On calm days Dad and I used to throw rocks when we'd see ducks in the distance... calm water with ducks on it does not happen.

Early morning twilight is when we used to hammer the ducks. Be set up in the dark, and get ready!
staincat

Unread postby staincat » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:22 am

Scouting, find where they are.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:36 am

If you are walking long ways look at inflatable decoys from Cherokee Sports. I have used them with great success over the years. Think about cover...and think about it again before setting up. Most "duck" camos are too dark especially if you are around Marsh Grass. Lastly, don't ever shoot at "the duck" but only focus ona beak or eyeball-aim small miss small mentality.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:37 am

Remember to let them decoy or you will burn through a lot of powder. I've been guilty of this in the past. A lot of times they may seem close enough but the pellets bounce off. Let them get tight before you shoot.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:28 am

First where do u hunt what state type of situation? Field timber river etc? Some place with low bird numbers u need to scout others u don't! Sometimes killing ducks is a trial an error type of deal. The most important thing in ducking hunting is the spot! I can put a newbie in a great spot an he can kill! But u can't put a seasoned hunter an a crap spot an kill! Second is calling know when to call how to call an reading the birds comes with experience it takes time. Third decoy spread robo is a great tool I would buy a floating robo works for any spot. Second magnum decoys work better less decoys birds can see from a higher elevation. U don't have to have wind at ur back an tall trees don't hurt u unless the spot is a crappie one. J hooks work best for a lot of places put the hook end down wind side robo in the bend of the jay or the outside bend of the jay. I could go on an on but if this is something u want to do don't get down on ur self it will take awhile to learn the ends an outs without someone show u how to do stuff pm me if u would like help been doing the duck deal a longtime. Have been on more twenty days than most people know that duck hunt.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:30 am

Put the hook up wind side sorry it's early lol!

bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 pm

I started duck hunting hard for the first time this year. I hunted a ton and learned a ton. I hunt in South Carolina, so we have no real flyway.

1. Location, like everyone said. I find my best spots often when out scouting for deer and I flush a bunch of ducks in the marsh. The like seclusion and finding honey holes is the name of the game.

2. Concealment--make sure you don't move when they are coming in or they will flare.

3. Make sure you can shoot, You have to hit them in the head and it took me a while to figure that out. They need to be CLOSE + you have to hit them in the head. Don't be afraid to ground swat them if you knock them down. Cripples getting away is no fun.

4. Have Grr.. and a good attitude. Duck hunters as a bunch are mostly friendly guys, but there are still many at every public spot that are complete jerks. They will call you a newb and tell you to stay out of their spots. Try to stay out their way and let them go sky bust. You can walk around them, go deeper, and setup on their escape routes. Just be persistent and tough + thick-skinned in the duck swamp.

Welcome to waterfowling..its a real addiction.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:05 am

You will find more competition in the duck marsh than you will looking for a big buck. Hard to believe in some places, but very true.

The best way to learn a marsh or lake is to get out there and watch the ducks fly - mark these on an aerial or quad/topo map. They use the same or similar flyways every year due to air currents or whatever. Some marshes are large and have many flyways, some only have 1.

Set up on the flyways where you see the ducks fly low - you may be able to decoy plenty if you are the first decoys they see. If not, presumably, they will be in easy range as they fly over your head.

A more advanced way to hunt is to build a boat similar to a Hybrid layout boat (google it) and set up in the middle of the marsh - in a flyway area and really pound them. The ducks don't notice small, low lying things as well as they do large blinds.

My dad just hunted a NWR marsh in Iowa and said it was crazy with ducks. Down here in FL we have opportunity but need to work at it a little on the refuges and just get wood ducks, ring necks, and bluebills on most of the big lakes.

Some of my most memorable and enjoyable hunting has been small secluded marshes on streams and rivers, roost ponds, and points in big water for divers.

Last couple of comments - no calling will beat bad calling any day. Wear a face net and don't move when the ducks are close (you'll figure out how to move after a couple of trips). You don't need an elaborate blind, just be still. Decoys - use as many as you need. I've set 350 and I've set 1 and had the same success, depends ont he area and species targeted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”