grouse numbers

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

megwan

grouse numbers

Unread postby megwan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Anybody else finding lots of grouse this year? Got a couple limits already this year most ive seen is 26 in about a mile. Going to try smoking some in the new electric smoker.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

headgear
500 Club

Re: grouse numbers

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:05 am

Ya pretty good numbers this year in MN.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:26 pm

megwan wrote:Anybody else finding lots of grouse this year? Got a couple limits already this year most ive seen is 26 in about a mile. Going to try smoking some in the new electric smoker.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Meghan
How did your grouse smoking go. Did you have any issues with them being to dry
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.

I got $5 that says Dan can catch one with his hands. Any takers? :mrgreen:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Jonny wrote:Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.

I hope your kidding! :?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.

I am. I actually know a couple guys that throw rocks at them and get 1-2 per year that way. That's up in Canada though, and they are canadien so it's pretty much legal for them I think.

I just carry a 12 gauge with me when I'm out scouting new areas. Works for me.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:22 am

Not here in PA.

Grouse cycles are normal...But we've been at a low for too long. Our biologists just released something on finding they may have one of the bird diseases..

And I've not seen a turkey since Halloween here at home which is alarming. With as much as I'm in the woods and as many turkey as we usually have, you can't look around and not see a turkey lol.

10 years ago I had some fantastic grouse hunting for PA... Wasn't hard to limit without a dog in a short time...If you could shoot. I flushed a few this entire season. I used to flush a bunch while walking into stands etc..
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:10 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I am. I actually know a couple guys that throw rocks at them and get 1-2 per year that way. That's up in Canada though, and they are canadien so it's pretty much legal for them I think.

I assume you are referring to spruce grouse. Yes, those are easily harvested. How they survive is beyond me. Ruffed grouse....good luck!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:29 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I assume you are referring to spruce grouse. Yes, those are easily harvested. How they survive is beyond me. Ruffed grouse....good luck!

Yep. They are the only real evidence suggesting Darwinism and natural selection doesn't exist
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:59 am

Jonny wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Yep. They are the only real evidence suggesting Darwinism and natural selection doesn't exist

So true. You can literally kill them by hitting them with a stick (yes people do).

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”