grouse numbers

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


megwan
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:13 am
Status: Offline

grouse numbers

Postby megwan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Anybody else finding lots of grouse this year? Got a couple limits already this year most ive seen is 26 in about a mile. Going to try smoking some in the new electric smoker.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 8548
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby headgear » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:05 am

Ya pretty good numbers this year in MN.
swampyak
500 Club
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:31 pm
Location: Northern MN
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby swampyak » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:26 pm

megwan wrote:Anybody else finding lots of grouse this year? Got a couple limits already this year most ive seen is 26 in about a mile. Going to try smoking some in the new electric smoker.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


Meghan
How did your grouse smoking go. Did you have any issues with them being to dry
User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 2736
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: Milwaukee
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.

I got $5 that says Dan can catch one with his hands. Any takers? :mrgreen:
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 22605
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby Dewey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Jonny wrote:Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.


I hope your kidding! :?
User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 2736
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: Milwaukee
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.


I hope your kidding! :?


I am. I actually know a couple guys that throw rocks at them and get 1-2 per year that way. That's up in Canada though, and they are canadien so it's pretty much legal for them I think.

I just carry a 12 gauge with me when I'm out scouting new areas. Works for me.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
mauser06
500 Club
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:11 pm
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby mauser06 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:22 am

Not here in PA.


Grouse cycles are normal...But we've been at a low for too long. Our biologists just released something on finding they may have one of the bird diseases..

And I've not seen a turkey since Halloween here at home which is alarming. With as much as I'm in the woods and as many turkey as we usually have, you can't look around and not see a turkey lol.



10 years ago I had some fantastic grouse hunting for PA... Wasn't hard to limit without a dog in a short time...If you could shoot. I flushed a few this entire season. I used to flush a bunch while walking into stands etc..
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9419
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:10 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.


I hope your kidding! :?


I am. I actually know a couple guys that throw rocks at them and get 1-2 per year that way. That's up in Canada though, and they are canadien so it's pretty much legal for them I think.

I just carry a 12 gauge with me when I'm out scouting new areas. Works for me.


I assume you are referring to spruce grouse. Yes, those are easily harvested. How they survive is beyond me. Ruffed grouse....good luck!
Melting snowflakes one at a time.
User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 2736
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: Milwaukee
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby Jonny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:29 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.


I hope your kidding! :?


I am. I actually know a couple guys that throw rocks at them and get 1-2 per year that way. That's up in Canada though, and they are canadien so it's pretty much legal for them I think.

I just carry a 12 gauge with me when I'm out scouting new areas. Works for me.


I assume you are referring to spruce grouse. Yes, those are easily harvested. How they survive is beyond me. Ruffed grouse....good luck!


Yep. They are the only real evidence suggesting Darwinism and natural selection doesn't exist
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9419
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: grouse numbers

Postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:59 am

Jonny wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:Saw lots in Wisconsin this year. Had a couple that had the crosshairs on them, or rocks thrown at them. They just sit there and never move. Can usually get one or two a year with rocks.


I hope your kidding! :?


I am. I actually know a couple guys that throw rocks at them and get 1-2 per year that way. That's up in Canada though, and they are canadien so it's pretty much legal for them I think.

I just carry a 12 gauge with me when I'm out scouting new areas. Works for me.


I assume you are referring to spruce grouse. Yes, those are easily harvested. How they survive is beyond me. Ruffed grouse....good luck!


Yep. They are the only real evidence suggesting Darwinism and natural selection doesn't exist


So true. You can literally kill them by hitting them with a stick (yes people do).
Melting snowflakes one at a time.

Return to “Flying Critters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest