Anyone know who the "Dan" of duck hunting would be?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crackehelmet

Anyone know who the "Dan" of duck hunting would be?

Unread postby crackehelmet » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Since I've only heard Dan make fun of (playfully) duck hunting, I think it's going to be a long wait before we get an Extreme Mallard Tactics video. (I would buy that video so fast, Dan.) Does anyone know of anyone out there that's more about teaching the craft of water fowling than shilling the toys? For as bad as most deer hunting videos are about shilling, water fowl is SOOO much worse.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Anyone know who the "Dan" of duck hunting would be?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I don't no squat about duck hunting, but if I wanted to and wanted to get good at it rather quickly. I would call a duck hunting guide and let him no your intentions. Meaning you want to learn the how's and whys and not just go out and shoot and not learn anything. Think most would be happy to show u the ropes and u would gain more hands on knowledge then a video could provide.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:07 am

Care to elaborate on waterfowl shilling? I have a few friends that are serious fowl hunters, they get a pile of ducks and geese every time they go out. They are always talking down deer hunting about how easy it is to just go out and sit in a tree and shoot deer. They say deer hunting is for fat lazy slob hunters, and duck hunting is really difficult and takes so much skill to be good at it. They always make fun of all the gimmicks sold to deer hunters, and think deer hunters are dumb because they buy that stuff up. I don't know much about duck hunting, but it seems to me that if someone is slamming a pile of them every time out, it can't be that hard. I hunted once with them this past season and we shot 40 geese in a few hours. I was bored sick, it felt like pest control and was no challenge at all.

IMO mature whitetail hunting is chess and everything else is checkers.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:Care to elaborate on waterfowl shilling? I have a few friends that are serious fowl hunters, they get a pile of ducks and geese every time they go out. They are always talking down deer hunting about how easy it is to just go out and sit in a tree and shoot deer. They say deer hunting is for fat lazy slob hunters, and duck hunting is really difficult and takes so much skill to be good at it. They always make fun of all the gimmicks sold to deer hunters, and think deer hunters are dumb because they buy that stuff up. I don't know much about duck hunting, but it seems to me that if someone is slamming a pile of them every time out, it can't be that hard. I hunted once with them this past season and we shot 40 geese in a few hours. I was bored sick, it felt like pest control and was no challenge at all.

I guess your buddies haven't meet a hunting beast 8-)
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:37 am

JAK wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:Care to elaborate on waterfowl shilling? I have a few friends that are serious fowl hunters, they get a pile of ducks and geese every time they go out. They are always talking down deer hunting about how easy it is to just go out and sit in a tree and shoot deer. They say deer hunting is for fat lazy slob hunters, and duck hunting is really difficult and takes so much skill to be good at it. They always make fun of all the gimmicks sold to deer hunters, and think deer hunters are dumb because they buy that stuff up. I don't know much about duck hunting, but it seems to me that if someone is slamming a pile of them every time out, it can't be that hard. I hunted once with them this past season and we shot 40 geese in a few hours. I was bored sick, it felt like pest control and was no challenge at all.

I guess your buddies haven't meet a hunting beast 8-)

I usually get at least one mature buck almost every year, and a handful of does for the freezer as well. Not sure if that qualifies me as a beast, but they know me and my efforts/success in an area where most others fail to get anything. Guess I should be offended by them. I usually just let it go, and keep my mouth shut, but it's getting old. I would love to have some ammo about lazy stupid duck hunters to rib them with.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 am

I would consider that a beast.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:30 am

For good waterfowlers, the work is in the scouting, just like good mature buck killers. Finding "the X" which is the spot they want to be, takes a lot of time driving, walking, paddling, sitting and glassing, etc... If birds on private, then they need to get permission. Some groups lease fields for the day, week, or full season. You got to show up for the easy part, shooting them right where they want to be.

To answer the original post...I don't know of anyone to compare to Dan in the waterfowl world. The key is scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout. If you are where they want to be, you'll do well. If you setup randomly, no idea of birds are hitting that area, you might get a bird or a few, but won't have consistent hunts. It's sometimes better to spend a Saturday scouting to give yourself a good hunt on Sunday, rather than hunting both days of a weekend.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:11 am

I don't know if there is a comparable, duck hunting is pretty easy if you put in a little time and learn a few things. Was a hardcore duck hunter for many years before I picked up a bow and fell in love. There is certainly some effort there but it's not nearly as hard as getting a mature buck with your bow beast style on some hard to hunt land. Not even close. Still there will be a learning curve for ducks and like deer you have to find the spots where you can be successful.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 am

By shilling I mean making a video that is titled "How to do x", Introducing a product or products, filming a wack em and stack em hunt, then saying it was all due to the product. The waterfowl "instructional" videos I've found seem to have more marketing content and less hunting instruction than the Deer hunting videos.

I'm in no way comparing the actual activities of duck hunting and deer hunting against each other, or saying one is better. Only that I have been able to find information about hunting deer that doesn't feel like advertising (Hunting Beast and DIY sportsman) where I have not been able to find that for waterfowl.

Rome wrote:For good waterfowlers, the work is in the scouting, just like good mature buck killers. Finding "the X" which is the spot they want to be, takes a lot of time driving, walking, paddling, sitting and glassing, etc... If birds on private, then they need to get permission. Some groups lease fields for the day, week, or full season. You got to show up for the easy part, shooting them right where they want to be.

To answer the original post...I don't know of anyone to compare to Dan in the waterfowl world. The key is scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout. If you are where they want to be, you'll do well. If you setup randomly, no idea of birds are hitting that area, you might get a bird or a few, but won't have consistent hunts. It's sometimes better to spend a Saturday scouting to give yourself a good hunt on Sunday, rather than hunting both days of a weekend.

I believe this 100%. However when someone tells me to scout ducks, I really don't know where to start. I feel like the thing I've gotten the most value out of with Dan's videos and the hunting beast forum is understanding just how important scouting is and enough information about what to look for and where to look for it that I can go to a piece of land and have a place to start.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 am

Try to get your hands on some pre-duck dynasty duck commander videos. Phil’s original stuff was pretty good. His early stuff is very similar to what dan puts out. Everything went to crap after they got the tv show though.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 am

JakeB wrote:Try to get your hands on some pre-duck dynasty duck commander videos. Phil’s original stuff was pretty good. His early stuff is very similar to what dan puts out. Everything went to crap after they got the tv show though.

Thank you, I'll take a look and see if I can find anything from him.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am

crackehelmet wrote:
JakeB wrote:Try to get your hands on some pre-duck dynasty duck commander videos. Phil’s original stuff was pretty good. His early stuff is very similar to what dan puts out. Everything went to crap after they got the tv show though.

Thank you, I'll take a look and see if I can find anything from him.

Yeah, those are probably the best for just flat out showing what it takes to consistently stay on birds.

Some of my best duck scouting is done from the treestand. If I'm not seeing the sign I need deer wise in an area, but the ducks are there, I'll go bust the ducks the next morning. I miss October and November now....

I like
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Rome wrote:Some of my best duck scouting is done from the treestand. If I'm not seeing the sign I need deer wise in an area, but the ducks are there, I'll go bust the ducks the next morning. I miss October and November now....

I like this idea. For my first season of Deer hunting i'm going to be focusing on Marshlands, so there should be some decent overlap. A coworker took me duck hunting this last season and I loved it. I then took my brother in law who had never been and he loved it. We'll be taking my nieces and nephew next season.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:04 am

Duck hunting is about flyways and feeding/loafing areas.

Calling is an art - most times it isn't necessary - other times it is required.

It takes about 2 days to learn a duck hunting area - first day is watching, second day is killing.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 am

Each sport has its own challenges. Duck hunting can become very involved and there is multiple sports within in. With deer hunting, not so much. Maybe shooting and archery, POSSIBLY tinkering with mods and such could be a hobby. In duck hunting you have shotgunning, duck calling competitions, decoy carving, boating, dog training, and more.

I respect John Stephens the most. Southern bou that can call any duck. Passionate and loves what he does. I believe he now owns RNT calls now that Butch is done.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”