Anyone know who the "Dan" of duck hunting would be?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Anyone know who the "Dan" of duck hunting would be?

Postby Rich M » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:45 am

Check to see if your state has a duck hunting organization - that way you'll end up meeting folks with similar interests and maybe find a few buds to hunt ducks with. As a rule duck hunters seem to like to share with folks - and fight over hunting spots. :lol:

JakeB

Postby JakeB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 am

Speaking of finding ducks while deer hunting.. These guys wouldn’t shut up while I was making a morning deer hunt. Got in there the next 2 mornings and shot back to back 2 man limits of mallards. Almost unheard of in south LA public. Surprisingly not 1 wood duck came in either morning.

Bonus points for rocking the Thlete..
Twenty Up
500 Club

Postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Duck hunting is more of who has the most money and the best location (flyway) compared to others. At least everyone has a chance to shoot a Booner, P&Y deer but duck hunting if you're not in a major flyway it's really spinning your tires for nothing

Unfortunately duck hunting is beginning to consume me along with deer hunting so it's conflicting interests, but duck hunting is not financially forgiving by any means. It's not a blue collar mans sport. At least when deer experience pressure, they don't fly away. They also don't migrate thousands of miles.

But Dennis Loosier Aka "Dr. Duck" is supposed to be the "Dan Infalt" of duck hunting... But he's in a major Texas flyway with probably a six figure sponsorship with Sitka, Yeti etc.... Give any Beast member 1/3 of his sponsorship and I promise they'll out-do most 'Pro' hunters.

I'll end my rant by saying deer hunting hasn't experienced the craze that duck hunting has after Duck Dynasty came about... So the pressure has increased tremendously. I've only had one argument with another deer hunter in a parking lot after years of hunting public and those guys told us another spot to hunt after strong-arming us off of "our" spot for the evening. We also doubled up in said spot. Meanwhile duck hunting public I've personally almost been involved in 3 fist fights and been cussed out multiple times after only 3 seasons of hunting public waters... Even after spending thousands of dollars per season we still fight with guides trying to hunt blinds we bought exclusive rights for. Duck hunting is an awesome experience, but recently the pressure has made it a huge pain.
Deep South Addictions
Kraftd
500 Club

Postby Kraftd » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 am

Twenty Up wrote:Duck hunting is more of who has the most money and the best location (flyway) compared to others. At least everyone has a chance to shoot a Booner, P&Y deer but duck hunting if you're not in a major flyway it's really spinning your tires for nothing

Unfortunately duck hunting is beginning to consume me along with deer hunting so it's conflicting interests, but duck hunting is not financially forgiving by any means. It's not a blue collar mans sport. At least when deer experience pressure, they don't fly away. They also don't migrate thousands of miles.

But Dennis Loosier Aka "Dr. Duck" is supposed to be the "Dan Infalt" of duck hunting... But he's in a major Texas flyway with probably a six figure sponsorship with Sitka, Yeti etc.... Give any Beast member 1/3 of his sponsorship and I promise they'll out-do most 'Pro' hunters.

I'll end my rant by saying deer hunting hasn't experienced the craze that duck hunting has after Duck Dynasty came about... So the pressure has increased tremendously. I've only had one argument with another deer hunter in a parking lot after years of hunting public and those guys told us another spot to hunt after strong-arming us off of "our" spot for the evening. We also doubled up in said spot. Meanwhile duck hunting public I've personally almost been involved in 3 fist fights and been cussed out multiple times after only 3 seasons of hunting public waters... Even after spending thousands of dollars per season we still fight with guides trying to hunt blinds we bought exclusive rights for. Duck hunting is an awesome experience, but recently the pressure has made it a huge pain.

First off, I'll second the early Duck Commander videos, they were great. Once they had the actual show Duck Commander, slipped a little, then quickly went downhill as they got richer and had more shows.

As for the quote comments, they are interesting to me, in the midwest at least, I still see deer hunting as having had a much more commercialized last 10 years. I put wayyyy more time into deer hunting, but can still get on public land ducks with a bit of effort pretty easy, and without the need for much more than a beat-up canoe, gun, shells, and maybe a few dekes. We're also on a pretty major flyway, or really a convergence of two by me a little, so does make that easier. Interesting how different things can be regionally. Like deer hunting, I tend to play major pushes and swoop in to known spots when the I know the conditions are right. TO me at least, easier to predict waterfowl than deer. If I wanted to chase fields and permission, it would be even easier, but lots of fields leased up around here and I don't get much excitement out of that.

I do think unless you are rich and have very little in the way of other commitments, it's really hard to be hardcore at both. Both do take time and effort. Never gone full bore into waterfowling, but I do LOVE to eat ducks and geese, so always make enough time to have some in the freezer. I have some buddies who are waterfowling nuts though, and seems like a pretty similar level of effort to deer hunting to stay on birds and be more successful than average, especially without great private land.

Return to “Flying Critters”