Unguided Spring Snow Goose Hunting

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Unguided Spring Snow Goose Hunting

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:45 am

Anyone have any experience with taking advantage of the spring snow goose hunting without going through a guide or outfitter. Closer to IL/WI the better and interested in any knock on door or public thoughts. I'm just a guide/outfitter type of guy, and this is an unknown for me. Just daydreaming a little as the seasons for everything wind down around here.

wiriverhunter

Re: Unguided Spring Snow Goose Hunting

Unread postby wiriverhunter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

I've gone on guided snow goose trips a couple times. The thing with self guided snow hunts that would be hard is the size of the spread required , and land access, lots of access is leased in good areas. Not to mention the amount of scouting required to be on birds.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 pm

we have our own group, from Wisconsin, but the drive to South Dakota is not very long.... We have a construction trailer, that we keep all our gear and one ATV, and it turns into our camp for the week, with stoves and lights and generators etc..... we usually set up a portable toilet system, and get permission on a lot of land, the ranchers, welcome our hunting,,,,,, we do a lot of scouting, also, because setting up is a lot of work......

We have 950 decoys, and vortex flyers, and 2 call box systems, etc...... we all have lay out blinds,,,,, but I made my own, out of a Wal Mart summer lounge chair, since I can easily sit up, with back support, until we spot birds, and easily adjust down.... I use corn stalk artificial which I buy at a Hobby Lobby that is weaved in, and my overlay stalk blanket, and guile,,,,, snow camo style........

It takes 3 of us several hours to set up a field its a lot of work,,,,, we are always hoping for the tornado, and have had it a few times, but we have also done just fair at times......

but we enjoy it,,,,,,, the atv, with sleds filled with rubber bins, of decoys, makes it easier to get in the field, while others are setting up,,,,
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 pm

I know of some guys in SE Iowa that hunt them and a guy could probably get permission for fields but they dont see the traffic that the SW iowa/dakota crowd does. I've always wanted to do it but cant commit to the spread when they don't travel within 5 hours of where we live so we spot and stalk/jump them. Got one farmer that has gotten us permission on probably 10k acres to hunt. It's a blast just seeing all the birds. First year in 15 plus I wont be going with a baby due at the beginning of migration.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”