South or North Dakota Pheasant....they cant be serious

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

shooter mcgavin

South or North Dakota Pheasant....they cant be serious

Unread postby shooter mcgavin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey,
Would love to pheasant hunt either Dakota with my son but looking at the big picture, seems really expensive.
Ive seen some crazy prices for a place to hunt and stay, dont like the big group hunt thing, dont need a guide. My dog works just great.
Anyone have a secret on how to do it without costing an arm and a leg.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: South or North Dakota Pheasant....they cant be serious

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm

When I hunted deer in S.Western Iowa there were a lot of out of state hunters who just bought a license and knocked on doors for pheasant hunting and the ones I saw were doing pretty good...
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Go to South Dakota, their #'s are much better right now after some rough winters in ND. Go to the Missouri River, but hunt the east shore. Get an Atlas of public land and start walking. We go out in the late season, and have never had days where we didn't have an opportunity to shoot a limit. But the birds are WILD then and tough. You will work for it. Lots of run-down but adequate houses available to rent. Find county chamber-of-commerece websites or phone #'s and ask them about hunting houses, they usually have a list. Plan on hunting the public land, and plan on putting as many miles on your truck while out there as you do on the way to get there. Seriously, when you figure how much gas you will use out there, double it. Then spend a lunch or dinner in a local tavern and but a drink for a few guys in boots and bibs with callused hands, you will get permission to hunt if you are polite and respectful. Never had a problem.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:01 pm

This is where we stayed when we went out there. The guy lives in Oshlosh but owns a few places out there. We just rented lodging from him. He has some old houses with a bunch of beds. Dont expect much. Warm, dry, dishes and a fridge/freezer, place to clean birds. Not fancy at all, but reasonable.

http://www.pheasantcountry.com/article/ ... OUTFITTERS

Rooster Run Lodges

Locations:
Eureka, South Dakota
Leola, South Dakota
Hecla, South Dakota
Phone: 920-233-1611
Phone 2: 920-279-5939
Email: lstille@new.rr.com
Address: 2915 Sunset Point Lane
Oskosh Wi, 54094
Email: lstille@new.rr.com
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

My friend tries to get me to go every year...About a 500 dollar trip. But they tend to go all out. He probably spends 200 on booze. Which is one reason I don't go. Somehwre in N.dakota
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:18 am

You don't need private property in either North or South Dakota. Lots of public in ND but you have to go to the Western part to get some good numbers this year. In South Dakota there is some public land but it gets hit kind of hard - but not horribly hard after the opener. The secret to South Dakota is hunting the ditches ;) Eastern South Dakota sucks this year and you have to go almost to the Missouri River to find good numbers. The biggest cost is hotel, eating out and gas if you're not staying close to where you hunt. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”