Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Postby jmaas07 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am

ghoasthunter wrote:a good idea if you can is cut the vines in winter on trees you want too use and let them die over summer. you can still get it when its dormant so be carful

Run the saw through something else that isn’t poison ivy after to rub the oils off..next thing you know is next time out handling your saw you get it on your hands and everywhere else :lol:

wolverinebuckman

Postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 am

Dawn does work great. Lather up a washcloth really good with dawn, then put it in a Ziploc and carry it out to the field in my backpack.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am

jmaas07 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:a good idea if you can is cut the vines in winter on trees you want too use and let them die over summer. you can still get it when its dormant so be carful

Run the saw through something else that isn’t poison ivy after to rub the oils off..next thing you know is next time out handling your saw you get it on your hands and everywhere else :lol:

that's why you burrow your buddies saw lol :think: ill tell you this I worked for a tree company for two years sending poison ivy vines 6 inches thick threw wood chippers I looked like rockey dennis from mask for first 3 months now I barely get it :pray:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
checkerfred
500 Club

Postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:cover skin in jewel weed before touching it and wash with a degreasing soap and wash cloth when you get home

I’ve tried to identify jewelweed but haven’t been able to do so. I’m not great at that stuff by surely it grows in Alabama

I get this stuff bad. Poison ivy is all over the swamps and I’ve resorted to ground hunting because of this. It’s so prevalent I can’t climb hardly anything.

Has anyone ever heard of Rhus Tox 30X. Supposedly you take it for a month or so before you go out in the woods and it prevents breakouts

its easy to figure it out you can find it growing in wet areas near poison ivy and stinging nettle it makes a orange pitcher looking flower or a yellow flower. all you do is rub the leaves on your open skin the oils in the plant neutralize the oils in the poison ivy. the biggest problem with poison ivy oil is that it does not wash off easy imagine the oil like black grease you get on your yourself working on a car. dawn dish soap and a wet rag wash from elbows down pay attention to the sensitive parts on arms and between fingers. another thing that might work and this is coming from my buddy whos a dairy farmer is drink raw milk from cows or goats that eat poison ivy.

Yeah I knew it was like grease. You can actually use friction and a dry cloth only to remove it from your skin. Problem with jewelweed is that I hunt lots in the winter. If I touch a vine with it dormant I’ll get it
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:cover skin in jewel weed before touching it and wash with a degreasing soap and wash cloth when you get home

I’ve tried to identify jewelweed but haven’t been able to do so. I’m not great at that stuff by surely it grows in Alabama

I get this stuff bad. Poison ivy is all over the swamps and I’ve resorted to ground hunting because of this. It’s so prevalent I can’t climb hardly anything.

Has anyone ever heard of Rhus Tox 30X. Supposedly you take it for a month or so before you go out in the woods and it prevents breakouts

its easy to figure it out you can find it growing in wet areas near poison ivy and stinging nettle it makes a orange pitcher looking flower or a yellow flower. all you do is rub the leaves on your open skin the oils in the plant neutralize the oils in the poison ivy. the biggest problem with poison ivy oil is that it does not wash off easy imagine the oil like black grease you get on your yourself working on a car. dawn dish soap and a wet rag wash from elbows down pay attention to the sensitive parts on arms and between fingers. another thing that might work and this is coming from my buddy whos a dairy farmer is drink raw milk from cows or goats that eat poison ivy.

Yeah I knew it was like grease. You can actually use friction and a dry cloth only to remove it from your skin. Problem with jewelweed is that I hunt lots in the winter. If I touch a vine with it dormant I’ll get it

you can collect it all summer make a bunch of small bags vacuum seal it and keep it in freezer
checkerfred
500 Club

Postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am

ghoasthunter wrote:you can collect it all summer make a bunch of small bags vacuum seal it and keep it in freezer

I’ll look next year. I just read of people soaking it in vodka too and using it to clean off with. Still it’s gonna be a mess hunting out of trees with vines. No way I can use sticks and assault. Maybe an assault hand climber but then it will get on my tether rope
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:you can collect it all summer make a bunch of small bags vacuum seal it and keep it in freezer

I’ll look next year. I just read of people soaking it in vodka too and using it to clean off with. Still it’s gonna be a mess hunting out of trees with vines. No way I can use sticks and assault. Maybe an assault hand climber but then it will get on my tether rope

what about Dans step ladder trick you could put that thing in grass and construct some kind of pop up grass blind
checkerfred
500 Club

Postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

what about Dans step ladder trick you could put that thing in grass and construct some kind of pop up grass blind

Our swamps are hardwood bottoms. Not hardly any cattail type Marsh stuff. Mostly hardwoods and some pines. Plus I like to be mobile and move around. Some places I go in blind and I never carry a stand unless I need a sight advantage

Return to “Outdoor Survival”