Knives you like.

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
Trout
500 Club

Re: Knives you like.

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:36 am

My everyday carry us a benchmade Bugout, got the DLC coated non-serrated blade and really love it. For deer field cutting, I have the benchmade altitude and a havalon. For processing, I use mall rapala filet knives and a victorinox boning knife.

tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:48 am

For field dressing I like a buck (family traditions) haley heath.
15955441015123512713709181746349.jpg

Fits the hand just right. Thick blade, rubber handle and has a rough spot on blade so the fingers do not slide off into danger.

Everyday use is benchmade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:23 pm

I guess I’ll be the first with a Kershaw, it’s a stone wash fixed blade. I’m not sure of the model.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:18 pm

My go to deer knife hands down is a Rapala 6” filet knife. I can unzip a deer with that so quick your head would spin! Easy to sharpen, easy to gut and debone with as well as trim the meat. Stops holding an edge I just pitch it and get another.

Bio1
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am

I have a wide variety of knives that I’m attached to. Some are performance based while others are emotional attachment.

I use my grandpas old straight edge shaving razor every time I skin a buck. I’m also attached to a k-bar that I carried for 8 years in the service. I have a beautiful elk horn Rambo knife I won in a chili cook off that I’m proud of. Though I’ve never used it believe I could go OJ Simpson if the need arrises.

For outdoor activities if I only could choose 2 I would go 7” bubba blade for fish and a standard SOG knife for whitetails. I prefer a fixed knife over a folding knife. U can even tell from the SOD with blood residue I’m not the most clean sportsman. Heck..., I get excited and often forget about cleaning a gutting knife. That can be a problem with a folder in my experience.

With fishing fillet knives u want something that holds an edge and the blade has give to swipe a fillet. You also want a full tang blade well into the handle for security. This is where cheapo knives fail. But I be the first to tell ya if u clean 10 fish per year in really doesn’t matter. If u clean a lot pick yourself up a Bubba u won’t regret it.

There is 3 types of people in this world. Those that can do math and those that can’t!

-Joe Biden-
A5BLASTER

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 am

If I could only have one knife. It would be my case pocket knife. Tons of tree rat, rabbit, dove, duck, goose, fish and deer been cleaned with it.

Almost time for a new one since the blade is getting so thin from being resharpened and rehoned through the years.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:13 am

A5BLASTER wrote:If I could only have one knife. It would be my case pocket knife. Tons of tree rat, rabbit, dove, duck, goose, fish and deer been cleaned with it.

Almost time for a new one since the blade is getting so thin from being resharpened and rehoned through the years.

If you ask they might replace the blade.

https://caseknives.com/pages/warranty-repair

Many years ago Buck replaced the blade on my 110 folder. I bought it in 1980 when I went into the service and I broke the tip off digging out a slug. I told them what happened and offered to pay for the replacement blade. Not only did they replace it under warranty I had it back in a couple of weeks.

Can’t beat that.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”