2013 Injuries and Close Calls!!

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: 2013 Injuries and Close Calls!!

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:24 pm

PLB wrote::shock: I don't think I would've hunted anymore that evening because my pants would've been full!! :shock: I'm glad you're ok and you're more man than me for finishing out the hunt!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

It shook me up a lot worse after it all sunk in, definately lucky. It was my last sit before gun season opened, it took me over a month to push myself to run and gun a set again.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:53 am

purebowhunting wrote:I should be dead or messed up, but got lucky. In November, in the morning during a light rain I snuck into the downwind side of a doe bedding area. The tree I had picked was a crippled white ash with an ironwood infront of it. The plan was to get high, cut the top of the Ironwood off and I'd have a 20 yard shot to a heavily used trail. I used limbs from the tree to get added height and set my third stick, I figure it was at 24 ft since my stand ended up about 28 ft to the platform since I had to bend over to use my 30ft bow rope. While stepping onto my third step I had to dissconect my linesman belt since the tree split. When I stepped my foot slipped, when my foot slipped my hands slipped and I started falling backwards. In the process my pant leg hooked into the step of my stick tearing it to the knee, flipping me upside down falling towards the ground head first. By the grace of god the linesman belt that was just hanging at my waiste hooked on the bottom step of my second stick, knocking the wind out of me, probably saving my life. I was able to hook my leg into a limb on the tree and crawl down, regroup and count my blessings. On a bright note, after finishing the set I got to pass three young bucks!

Good gosh u are a lucky dog, that scared me just thinking about it!!

Only thing i had happen this season was close calls with snakes... I stepped right over a water moccasin and also a copperhead.... luckily they didnt strike!
Make It Happen
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:40 pm

So here was my injury from 2013.... I got it when cutting shooting lanes. I was busy cutting with a bow saw when the blade slipped, and my left thumb got in the way of the next swipe. Dang near cut the tip right off in one swoop....

oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:09 am

My wife has a joke about me that kind of goes like. If he doesn't end up at urgent care once a year something is wrong!

I don’t think I am accident prone, I just play hard, work hard and stuff happens. No major injuries in 2013 but you guys can relate to a few of my mishaps that are directly related to hunting.

Countless chigger and tick bites, brier scratches, a tree branch in the eye a few times. A few cuts from processing deer.

Tried doing some rattling and still have a black fingernail from slamming antlers together.

Twisted ankle hiking a steep ridge, my toes are still a little black and blue.

Bruised shin bone on a trailer hitch, it’s still swollen.

Put off a common cold to turkey hunt and ended up at urgent care with Bronchitis.

Put off a tooth ache to take kids on a youth deer hunt and ended up at urgent care, root canal came a little later.

Seems like it’s always something! People I know who play softball, golf, basketball, tennis etc. complain about getting old and injuries. Well hunting is work and it comes with risk and injuries, plus it takes two balls to hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 am

oneflag wrote:Well hunting is work and it comes with risk and injuries, plus it takes two balls to hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: Others play with em, hunters have em.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:37 am

I had 2 separate incidents, but all in the same day. 1st one was about 13' up, and one of my strap on steps let loose, linemans belt caught me after about a 3' slide. 2nd one was later that day, different area, I unhooked to trim a few small branches, and I almost took a header from 15'. Dropped bow, ripped up my thumb, shook me up, stayed for a bit more, but got down early. Stay safe

Pichy

Unread postby Pichy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:28 am

I should preface this by saying that I have been using a harness for decades while hunting, but I never used to "tie off" until actually in the stand. Three years ago, after reading some posts about all the falls that happen while ascending and descending, I decided to be more careful (stay tethered) while actually climbing.

Two seasons ago I was hunting from my Lone Wolf. I was using screw in steps, and was up a large straight Ash tree about 24 feet. At the end of the hunt in the dark, I was coming down the tree, removing tree steps as I went like I always do. After removing two steps, all of a sudden I heard a snap, and I was falling. It was as if I was standing on a branch that broke suddenly. But I was standing on my screw in tree steps. I fell about six feet when my harness rope caught me, slamming me into the tree. I missed falling through other tree steps below me (ie. guthooks) because I put them wide enough apart, apparently, and fell between them. The whole thing happened lightning fast, and before I knew it I was hanging there. Don't think that you'll ever have time to react when things go wrong. You just won't. The only thing you can do is prepare for the worst before it happens.

I was baffled, figuring I mistakenly stepped on a branch in the dark and not on my step. Turns out one of the steps actually broke. I have been using the same steps for close to twenty years. Time to get new ones. They fatigue like any material. Imagine bending a tree step over and over hundreds or thousands of times under your weight.

Just before this happened, my brother was coming down the hill toward me and said he saw my red head light just drop, but then it stopped. Glad I decided to tether myself while climbing. I hope you guys do too.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 am

Safe and sound, thank God!
But I did trip on new years on a log in the yard and busted up my face pretty good :cry: :doh:
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”