2013 Injuries and Close Calls!!

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

2013 Injuries and Close Calls!!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:52 am

Post your 2013 injuries and close calls here! It can be for others too, it doesn't have to be for yourself. Also, close calls are often the scariest of the bunch. Should be a good learning tool for all of us.

I'm not talking about the "bad shoulder" that keeps you from drawing your bow, but rather the cuts / bruises / broken bones / twisted ankles / life threatening bug stings.... FALLS FROM YOUR STAND... I think you get the drift. Injuries large and small directly caused by the 2013 hunting seasons... Minor and major events, please post them up! 8-)

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: 2013 Injuries and Close Calls!!

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 am

This is more of a general posting. I work as an X-Ray tech, and ever year I have to X-Ray several hunters who fall from tree stands. I have had two differnt guys this year allready. One fell while prepping a permanent stand back in August. the other fell just a last week. The first guy broke his coller bone and 7 ribs and punctured a lung, the other guy broke an ankle.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 am

Might as well get it started- yesterday I was walking through a deep swamp, one of those places NO ONE likes to go. 3 feet of visibility, waist deep muck, countless trees knocked down and dead that your have to climb over...

I have to admit, over the years I've been pretty lucky with my deep swamp hunting and I remain so- for the most part. But yesterday I hopped over a dead tree and all its branches and when I came down on the other side my left leg went between two cedars on the ground. My foot rocketed down and hit another cedar a couple of feet below the surface, before hitting the bottom of the hole.

Quite a bit of pain on the way out, but no big. But, by the time I got home I could barely get my boot off. The ankle ended up looking like a puffball mushroom. I was hoping to hunt this evening before going back to work, but I don't think I'll make it. It might be a couple of days. I don't think anything is broke and the swelling went down a bit overnight.

This Beast will be back in business in a couple a days!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:06 am

Black Squirrel wrote:This is more of a general posting. I work as an X-Ray tech, and ever year I have to X-Ray several hunters who fall from tree stands. I have had two differnt guys this year allready. One fell while prepping a permanent stand back in August. the other fell just a last week. The first guy broke his coller bone and 7 ribs and punctured a lung, the other guy broke an ankle.

I'll bet over the years you've seen a thing or two, Black Squirrel! Glad to hear those hunter's do not have any paralysis- they are lucky indeed.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:14 am

One of my coworkers that I used to work with said his buddy fell from his lone wolf. I don't know the full details but he was 3 sticks up and he was OK but did get the wind knocked out of him and was banged up from the sounds of it. That was here in Wi.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ONE UP

Unread postby ONE UP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:00 am

friday i was hanging a camera and pushed a hawthorne needle 1/2" deep between my knuckle. broke off, now my hand is so puffed up I can't make a fist.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:22 am

Brad wrote:One of my coworkers that I used to work with said his buddy fell from his lone wolf. I don't know the full details but he was 3 sticks up and he was OK but did get the wind knocked out of him and was banged up from the sounds of it. That was here in Wi.

That had to hurt! It's been a long time since I've fallen from a tree... I still remember getting the wind knocked out of me though. NOT a good time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:37 pm

ONE UP wrote:friday i was hanging a camera and pushed a hawthorne needle 1/2" deep between my knuckle. broke off, now my hand is so puffed up I can't make a fist.

Nasty dude- sounds like some cellulitis and or infection. Have you consulted a physician?
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35 pm

hope you get better SB
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:hope you get better SB

Thanks Bigdaddy- it got a lot better today already... I'll be back in the swamp in no time.
carmmond

Unread postby carmmond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:05 am

Walking back to the house (at a fast pace) Saturday night I forgot to look out for a downed barbed wire fence that is about ten inches off the ground. My shin found it at full speed and three barbs caught me. Of corse I had to slam my foot down draging the barbs through the skin... hurt like heck till today.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:36 pm

my worst injury of the year came more to my equipment then me... tripped over a log in the snow and fell face first slamming my bow onto another tree and breaking my quiver into 3 pieces.... better that then my arm.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:06 pm

I should be dead or messed up, but got lucky. In November, in the morning during a light rain I snuck into the downwind side of a doe bedding area. The tree I had picked was a crippled white ash with an ironwood infront of it. The plan was to get high, cut the top of the Ironwood off and I'd have a 20 yard shot to a heavily used trail. I used limbs from the tree to get added height and set my third stick, I figure it was at 24 ft since my stand ended up about 28 ft to the platform since I had to bend over to use my 30ft bow rope. While stepping onto my third step I had to dissconect my linesman belt since the tree split. When I stepped my foot slipped, when my foot slipped my hands slipped and I started falling backwards. In the process my pant leg hooked into the step of my stick tearing it to the knee, flipping me upside down falling towards the ground head first. By the grace of god the linesman belt that was just hanging at my waiste hooked on the bottom step of my second stick, knocking the wind out of me, probably saving my life. I was able to hook my leg into a limb on the tree and crawl down, regroup and count my blessings. On a bright note, after finishing the set I got to pass three young bucks!

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:41 pm

purebowhunting wrote:I should be dead or messed up, but got lucky. In November, in the morning during a light rain I snuck into the downwind side of a doe bedding area. The tree I had picked was a crippled white ash with an ironwood infront of it. The plan was to get high, cut the top of the Ironwood off and I'd have a 20 yard shot to a heavily used trail. I used limbs from the tree to get added height and set my third stick, I figure it was at 24 ft since my stand ended up about 28 ft to the platform since I had to bend over to use my 30ft bow rope. While stepping onto my third step I had to dissconect my linesman belt since the tree split. When I stepped my foot slipped, when my foot slipped my hands slipped and I started falling backwards. In the process my pant leg hooked into the step of my stick tearing it to the knee, flipping me upside down falling towards the ground head first. By the grace of god the linesman belt that was just hanging at my waiste hooked on the bottom step of my second stick, knocking the wind out of me, probably saving my life. I was able to hook my leg into a limb on the tree and crawl down, regroup and count my blessings. On a bright note, after finishing the set I got to pass three young bucks!

:shock: I don't think I would've hunted anymore that evening because my pants would've been full!! :shock: I'm glad you're ok and you're more man than me for finishing out the hunt!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm

purebowhunting wrote:I should be dead or messed up, but got lucky. In November, in the morning during a light rain I snuck into the downwind side of a doe bedding area. The tree I had picked was a crippled white ash with an ironwood infront of it. The plan was to get high, cut the top of the Ironwood off and I'd have a 20 yard shot to a heavily used trail. I used limbs from the tree to get added height and set my third stick, I figure it was at 24 ft since my stand ended up about 28 ft to the platform since I had to bend over to use my 30ft bow rope. While stepping onto my third step I had to dissconect my linesman belt since the tree split. When I stepped my foot slipped, when my foot slipped my hands slipped and I started falling backwards. In the process my pant leg hooked into the step of my stick tearing it to the knee, flipping me upside down falling towards the ground head first. By the grace of god the linesman belt that was just hanging at my waiste hooked on the bottom step of my second stick, knocking the wind out of me, probably saving my life. I was able to hook my leg into a limb on the tree and crawl down, regroup and count my blessings. On a bright note, after finishing the set I got to pass three young bucks!

WOW :o Glad you are OK
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”