Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store


Bearpawon
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 pm
Location: Ontario (g.t.a.)
Status: Offline

Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Bearpawon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I was digging thru my books recently and found a book called "medicinal and other uses of North American plants: a historical survey with special reference to the eastern Indian tribes" by Charlotte Erichson-Brown. Anyways, the author basically went thru very old books written by the Europeans when they first came here and copied what these guys wrote about how the First Nations people's were using the plants. Including the index its 512 pages with the chapters being : evergreen trees, deciduous trees, shrubs and vines, wet open places, woods and thickets, and dry open places. If you like this stuff it's a really good book especially if you live in the northeast. If you guys want me to look up a plant and post what it says feel free


User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 10652
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Pretty much everything we need comes from nature but for some reason people think you are crazy to go out in the woods and pick some food/medicine.
User avatar
wolverinebuckman
500 Club
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:55 am
Location: SE Kentucky
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:21 am

headgear wrote:Pretty much everything we need comes from nature but for some reason people think you are crazy to go out in the woods and pick some food/medicine.

There is a particular plant I use for medicinal purposes :whistle:
My grandpa and I go round and round. He says he would consider it if some pharmaceutical company created some processed pill form you could go and pay for. ???
How about a seed in the ground? I don't get it.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 am

one plant I use constantly is jewel weed I put it on my exposed skin when scouting. works for bug bites poison ivy oak sumac stinging nettle pretty much everything works as a cover scent and deer eat it grows all over the river bottoms and wetlands I hunt.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
User avatar
Marshbuster89
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:32 am
Location: WI
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:47 am

Jewel weed
Image
How bad do you want it?
User avatar
Killtree
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:one plant I use constantly is jewel weed I put it on my exposed skin when scouting. works for bug bites poison ivy oak sumac stinging nettle pretty much everything works as a cover scent and deer eat it grows all over the river bottoms and wetlands I hunt.


I have been using jewel weed for many years.
You can make a tea from yellow root and gargle it. Does wonders for a soar throat.
:violence-bowandarrow:
User avatar
ghoasthunter
500 Club
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am
Location: New jersey
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:38 am

Killtree wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:one plant I use constantly is jewel weed I put it on my exposed skin when scouting. works for bug bites poison ivy oak sumac stinging nettle pretty much everything works as a cover scent and deer eat it grows all over the river bottoms and wetlands I hunt.


I have been using jewel weed for many years.
You can make a tea from yellow root and gargle it. Does wonders for a soar throat.

I like I know its an edible plant and it works for swelling from bug bites. rub your clothes with spice bush for bugs and ticks then apply jewel weed to the ones that get ya. there are so many plants out there moss has iodine in it that purifies water and helps with cuts and scrapes. not to mention all the edibles I pic berries all summer feed your kids that with wild game and other plants they will never get sick. my grandmother was big on living off nature she made it too 98 years old with no meds her whole life.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
User avatar
Sailfish_WC
500 Club
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 am
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:10 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Killtree wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:one plant I use constantly is jewel weed I put it on my exposed skin when scouting. works for bug bites poison ivy oak sumac stinging nettle pretty much everything works as a cover scent and deer eat it grows all over the river bottoms and wetlands I hunt.


I have been using jewel weed for many years.
You can make a tea from yellow root and gargle it. Does wonders for a soar throat.

I like I know its an edible plant and it works for swelling from bug bites. rub your clothes with spice bush for bugs and ticks then apply jewel weed to the ones that get ya. there are so many plants out there moss has iodine in it that purifies water and helps with cuts and scrapes. not to mention all the edibles I pic berries all summer feed your kids that with wild game and other plants they will never get sick. my grandmother was big on living off nature she made it too 98 years old with no meds her whole life.



That’s pretty neat.

Sadly each subsequent generation loses more of this knowledge
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:34 pm

I like to make a nice tea from peyote. Really helps pass the time while on stand lol
"Man who catch fly with chopstick, Accomplish Anything"
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 28035
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Online

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I like to make a nice tea from peyote. Really helps pass the time while on stand lol

That explains a lot Boogie! :lol:
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I like to make a nice tea from peyote. Really helps pass the time while on stand lol

That explains a lot Boogie! :lol:


Image
:lol:
"Man who catch fly with chopstick, Accomplish Anything"


  • Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest