Looking for any ice fishing destination suggestions...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Goober

Re: Looking for any ice fishing destination suggestions...

Unread postby Goober » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:22 pm

I grew up on Mendota, fishing with my grandpa almost everyday when school was out and I have no desire to go back out there, although I usually end up meeting my uncle out for a day of perch chasing every year. I think you may be missing my point. I have no desire to spend my time there. Like I said to each their own! Tight lines :-)

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Goober wrote:I am not going to argue that you can catch huge fish in the Madison chain. I have. I also wouldn't argue that you can shoot huge bucks in a high fence area. But to me, that is not what hunting is about. or fishing. I want to be where the sky line isn't buildings, the background noise isn't traffic, where there isn't garbage blowing around on the ice. That is what fishing is about to me, not the biggest bluegill. Everyone does things for different reasons. I have access to some private land in Dane County that I know has a 160" buck living on it. I hunted it one afternoon this year, and the road noise drove me insane and I left long before dark. To each their own, and I am not trying to take away from anyones ways, but to me it is more about the journey than the destination. Sorry to hi-jack your thread Pullintoobs! :)

I agree also not trying to cause arguments man we are all friends here. I am not out to catch the biggest gills either but if I am trying to keep the attention of a young kid through catching fish I am going to go somewhere we don't have to sit on the ice long and can catch a bunch of fish. Anyways I did a bunch of duck hunting and bowfishing on petenwell in the last year...do you eat the fish out of there? I thought that people were advised not too :?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Bucky wrote:
Goober wrote:I am not going to argue that you can catch huge fish in the Madison chain. I have. I also wouldn't argue that you can shoot huge bucks in a high fence area. But to me, that is not what hunting is about. or fishing. I want to be where the sky line isn't buildings, the background noise isn't traffic, where there isn't garbage blowing around on the ice. That is what fishing is about to me, not the biggest bluegill. Everyone does things for different reasons. I have access to some private land in Dane County that I know has a 160" buck living on it. I hunted it one afternoon this year, and the road noise drove me insane and I left long before dark. To each their own, and I am not trying to take away from anyones ways, but to me it is more about the journey than the destination. Sorry to hi-jack your thread Pullintoobs! :)

Fish the off shore structure... there is tons of it... I never heard a car or saw garbage blowing around. If you want I can bomb this thread with pictures to prove it :P

Not to mention when it warms up in March some of the black spandex (women) running down the lake shore paths is some of the best ice fishing scenery god has ever created! :lol: :lol:

God yes!! :L: Missed a lot of nice hook sets for that reason out there on Monona and Triangle!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Oh and lake Redstone is my baby, although its been slower the past few years, perhaps this is gonna be a good year? Castle rock was fun by the dirty turtle, was arctic last time I was there, but the white bass were awesome to catch, talk about action!! I think you could catch white bass on a zippo lighter with no hook!
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:21 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:

I agree also not trying to cause arguments man we are all friends here. I am not out to catch the biggest gills either but if I am trying to keep the attention of a young kid through catching fish I am going to go somewhere we don't have to sit on the ice long and can catch a bunch of fish. Anyways I did a bunch of duck hunting and bowfishing on petenwell in the last year...do you eat the fish out of there? I thought that people were advised not too :?

We don't eat more than a meal of fish per month, and usually only panfish. Just about any water any more they would advise the same. I haven't eaten any fish out of Pete, but I would not hesitate to keep a few meals of panfish or smaller eyes. No gamefish though. I would have an awful hard time believing that fish out of a flowing water impoundment are worse for you than fish caught out of stagnant water lake's in downtown Madison. But I am no biologist either. My opinion, stick to panfish, dont eat more than a few meals per month of wild-caught fish, and I think I will be fine.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”