I want to ice fish. I have alot of questions...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

I want to ice fish. I have alot of questions...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:40 pm

I haven't been ice fishing since I was a kid when my dad was actually a good guy. I been thinking of getting into it again since winter is long and depressing I need something to keep me busy on the weekends rather than sitting home and drinking and getting fat. I have a long list of questions so I guess I will start with the first one. For a beginner, Im looking to just have the the bare minimum gear to get me started. I know for sure Im going to use a plastic sled to drag my stuff out on the ice. Thats all I can really fit into my car so no portable shacks for me. Anyways, what else do I need for equipment? Im not looking to spend hundreds of dollars either. Just enough to get me in the right direction. What equipment would you recommend?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
hunter_mike

Re: I want to ice fish. I have alot of questions...

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:59 pm

If you are going with a hand auger, make sure you get 6" diameter or less, much easier drilling

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Watch Grumpy Old Men, those guys seemed to be experts :lol: sorry couldn't resist. I know nothing about, only been once was a lot of fun though.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
VT Outfitter

Unread postby VT Outfitter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:56 am

I would say the basics are:

Warm clothes and boots
6 inch Fin Bore hand auger
Simple spinning reel jig stick
5 gallon buck to carry gear, bring back fish, and sit o while fishing
Some tip ups
Tackle, line, ice jigs
Bait
Fishing license

If you need more help let me know and good luck to you on the ice.
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
www.whitetailstrategies.net
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:35 am

Crazi - where in WI are you at? I'm in Waukesha county and I'd be more than happy to help out.

I'd start with just panfish at first. No tip-ups and minnows to bring. Jigs can fit in your pocket.

There's plenty of popular "community holes" where you could wander around and see what everyone's using. I'm sure you know of lake-Link. It shouldn't be hard to find a crowd on the ice near you.

You'll need an ice scoop.

VT-dude - Fin bore is generally not carried by stores around here. It's mostly either Mora or Lazer.

One bit of advice: If you think you're going to stay with the sport remember the old adage "Buy cheap,buy twice". There is some really cheap crap out there.

Oh,and I've seen plenty of flip-top portables tied on the top or shoved into the back seat of cars.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 am

plenty of room in a car for a hub style shack. I fit my sled, shack, auger , minnows, tip-ups, heater, jig poles, beer, buckets all in my car.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:08 am

Come to NH for a long weekend!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:26 am

Where in Wisconsin is my first question? I am sure there are plenty of people there that would be willing to show you the ropes again.

Pending on where you are....

-Start with panfish, there is no better fish fry in my opinion than bluegills caught through hard water.
-Spinning rod Ice combo. You can pick up a Ugly Ice jigging rod combo at Gander for $35. Once you move up to Walleye jigging, find a sturdier rod.
-SPRING BOBBER, and absolute must for panfishing.
-Go with a smaller hand auger. You will be able to drill many more holes a day by hand or with the Nimrod attachment. If you were setting up tips ups in 4ft of ice, that is a different story(meaning you are insane to drill that by hand). Don't go above 6", I seldom even use that. I have a 5" that melts through the ice compared to a 6"
-small jigs. That list is long but again, there will be a ton to select from. I found for perch the best I can find is the smallest red jig I can get ahold of, and use with wigglers. Flirty Girty, Custom Jigs, Gitzit, I will also use a Kastmaster with a minnow head for perch, but it has to be a really small one.
-wax worms or mousies for bluegills.
-2 buckets One to sit on, and one to carry fish or random stuff around hole to hole.
-Sled of some sorts.
-Slush Scoop
-Ice Creepers, you may not need them everyday, but life gets a lot better if you have them when you need them.
-Construction Knee Pads**** Trust me on this. Get a decent set from Menards or Home Depot. You will find yourself kneeling on the ice all the time, especially when you upgrade to tip ups. It sucks bad when you kneel down hard on a shard or chunk of ice right on your knee cap with all your body weight. I put them on every time out of habit now. Over the bibs even.

Tip DOWNS are also a real easy way to deploy several jigging lines, work great for Crappies with a plain jane minnow. But you shouldn't worry about these for awhile. See how serious you get the Ice Fishing Bug before you go invest in a heap of equipment. I have picked up so many tips ups from guys who went out and bought a bunch of stuff right away... only to find they didn't like it as much as they thought they would, and their Beaver Dams just collected dust. Works great for me, I get barely used gear for cheap.

That is your bare bones list for most SE WI lakes, however if you are out in the sticks where there are NO land markers , and fished a lot of the same lakes I have into the dark.... I would bring a few extras like a spot light, lantern, and a Chem light. I always mark the trail where I went onto the lake by hanging a glow stick chem light on a tree branch. It isn't hard to get turned around by the end of the night and you have no other land markers or beacons to follow at 2 am. The Chem light trick has saved me several times before. Once bitten, twice shy. But my guess is you should start small and not go on late night adventures by yourself, not until you get the feel of it all.

If I were you I would just throw a line out and see if you can tag along with a few guys a few times. Best way to learn really. Most guys I know that ice fish will have MORE than enough gear to the point you would only have to show up....... with beer.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:26 am

Love the advice guys. What type of portable shack do you guys use that fits into cars? Also, I love catching sunfish and crappies so thats what fish Im going for. Live bait, or no live bait? Will spots that hold panfish in the summer be productive in the winter? If i had money Ed, I would love to come out and fish over there. Im up near Eau Claire WI.
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:08 am

Did anyone mention electronics...such as a good flasher? Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird etc. You should be able to find a used one for under $200. It would be the first thing I would buy! After you get addicted....buy the best, warmest suit you can afford. Forget the shanty until you can afford a sled or quad to pull it all. A simple Schooley rod works well for panfish. If you are going to fish for bigger fish or deep water get a decent spinning outfit.

The main thing is to keep all your gear light and productive. When you start dragging 100 lbs of stuff around it becomes WORK!
Last edited by superseal on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:13 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Love the advice guys. What type of portable shack do you guys use that fits into cars? Also, I love catching sunfish and crappies so thats what fish Im going for. Live bait, or no live bait? Will spots that hold panfish in the summer be productive in the winter? If i had money Ed, I would love to come out and fish over there. Im up near Eau Claire WI.

Weed edges and deep holes, anything structure, rock piles.. old river channels. Electronics are how you target suspended fish but like you said you were looking for bare minimum. There is really good fishing on the Mississippi in the back channels and pools. With you being by Eau Claire I would check that out. Maybe hire a guide for half a day to get you pointed in the right direction for the big river. You will want to find some success early to build off of to keep you interested..

As far as portable shacks that fit into cars... Frabil used to make a pop up version that was pretty much a hard bottom tent. i owned one ten years ago and it did me just fine. It was great in the sunlight with it being all black. It was nice but you definitely have to make a point to anchor it in the wind, at least tether cord the shanty to the auger halfway drilled down. Otherwise you could be taking a walk for your popup across the lake the moment you step out of it. I'm not sure if they make it anymore but it was a cheap way to have a bit of cover.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Kodiakman wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Love the advice guys. What type of portable shack do you guys use that fits into cars? Also, I love catching sunfish and crappies so thats what fish Im going for. Live bait, or no live bait? Will spots that hold panfish in the summer be productive in the winter? If i had money Ed, I would love to come out and fish over there. Im up near Eau Claire WI.

Weed edges and deep holes, anything structure, rock piles.. old river channels. Electronics are how you target suspended fish but like you said you were looking for bare minimum. There is really good fishing on the Mississippi in the back channels and pools. With you being by Eau Claire I would check that out. Maybe hire a guide for half a day to get you pointed in the right direction for the big river. You will want to find some success early to build off of to keep you interested..

As far as portable shacks that fit into cars... Frabil used to make a pop up version that was pretty much a hard bottom tent. i owned one ten years ago and it did me just fine. It was great in the sunlight with it being all black. It was nice but you definitely have to make a point to anchor it in the wind, at least tether cord the shanty to the auger halfway drilled down. Otherwise you could be taking a walk for your popup across the lake the moment you step out of it. I'm not sure if they make it anymore but it was a cheap way to have a bit of cover.

I been eye balling a few options for a shelter. There is a few that break down enough to be able to fit into the trunk of my car. Not sure yet on that, unless I can get a crazy deal. I been looking at hand operated augers too. Looks like the cheapest one is about $50 at Fleet Farm, a sled for about $30. I haven't ventured into fishing poles or lures yet. Craigslist has no one in my area selling ice fishing gear that Im looking for either. This maybe something that may take a few years to be able to acquire the essential equipment. Unless I win the lottery. :think: I think Im looking at purchasing the auger, a sled, a pole, a few jigs/lures, slush scoop, a couple of 5 gallon buckets, knee pads. I have enough cold weather gear. That should be enough to get me going this season. Does anyone think this is not enough? I need to know. There are a few lakes in my area that are full of panfish. I think Im going to check out those areas. I have no friends up here that ice fish, around these parts at least. Many of them have cabins way up north, and its one of those ideas we talk about during the summer months when we are pounding beers on the back deck and my buddies are like "dude, we are gonna ice fish every weekend up at my dad's cabin this winter and catch trophy northerns and walleyes", and when the winter time comes, you never get the invite to go ice fishing with them. :lol: The idea pretty much disappeared just like the beers we drank. :lol: Anyways, I figured I will go full DIY on this new mission. Unless a fellow beast in my area is willing to show me some cool stuff. I will be asking a ton of questions and looking for advice. Just like when I got into bowhunting in 2007, I had to do it on my own to get into the swing of things.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:29 am

where do you live? one of my favorite little lakes is giving up limits of big gills and crappies. I went out last weekend from sun up to sun down with just tip-ups and watched people come and go all day with buckets of fish. I felt like a fool without my jig pole. :roll:
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:05 am

for an auger, get the 5" strikemaster lazer (the black one). the blue Mora is crap compared to the lazer. I bought one when it was made in Sweden. now I think they are made in China, so I don't know if that makes a difference. you can by a little shanty that is basically a chair that has a flip over cover. you'll have to research it as I forget what they are called. also have to check ebay cause I don't think they are made anymore. I have a 2 seater Frabil shanty and I drag it on the ice and it's not bad at all. I don't need anything to pull it and I load it will a vexilar, aqua view and a gas auger as well as terminal tackle.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:01 pm

Check out the Nils 6" hand auger. Light years ahead of any other hand auger on the market. Cuts about an inch of ice every second.

I use mine more than my gas auger unless a pile of kids are along then back to the gas powered.

Pm me your adress, I have tons of tip ups and extra jig pole that I can dig through. You can have a few of the extras. Some may not be top of line but should be fine to get you started.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”