I want to ice fish. I have alot of questions...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: I want to ice fish. I have alot of questions...

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Maybe try some weed edges. If jigging vary your up motion and slowly drop jig in fishes strike zone. They will mostly hit on the drop or keeping rod still.

Experiment and good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I do have some cheap cleats. They seem to work. The ice is very glare and crystal clear. A bunch of guys were out there with no traction cleats and it was fun watching them walking across the lake nearly falling on their bums every other step. Did watch a whole family ice skate all the way across the lake when I was coming off the ice. That was kinda neat to watch. I think my biggest struggle right now is being able to find the fish, and to be able to find the right set up to get them to bite. I been on some ice fish sites gathering some info. So far its coming down to not having a fish finder that will make a long day on the ice. I hope it isn't that complicated.

You always hear us preach transition zones for hunting... Its the same with icefishing. Hodags advice is spot on. As far as cleats on the ice, those of us that have ice fished since age one utilize a thorazine shuffle.... and we don't fall down!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Looks like you have a nice set up there. A shanty makes ice fishing much more enjoyable when the temps really drop especially if you get a little portable heater.

I haven't ice fished for a few years and should really get back into it this winter. Scouting took over so much of my time but should make time for both.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:27 pm

superseal wrote:Did anyone mention electronics...such as a good flasher? Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird etc. You should be able to find a used one for under $200. It would be the first thing I would buy! After you get addicted....buy the best, warmest suit you can afford. Forget the shanty until you can afford a sled or quad to pull it all. A simple Schooley rod works well for panfish. If you are going to fish for bigger fish or deep water get a decent spinning outfit.

The main thing is to keep all your gear light and productive. When you start dragging 100 lbs of stuff around it becomes WORK!

The one item I will not ice fish without is my Vexilar FL-18...

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:08 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:
superseal wrote:Did anyone mention electronics...such as a good flasher? Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird etc. You should be able to find a used one for under $200. It would be the first thing I would buy! After you get addicted....buy the best, warmest suit you can afford. Forget the shanty until you can afford a sled or quad to pull it all. A simple Schooley rod works well for panfish. If you are going to fish for bigger fish or deep water get a decent spinning outfit.

The main thing is to keep all your gear light and productive. When you start dragging 100 lbs of stuff around it becomes WORK!

Marcum LX7 :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:38 am

Awesome setup!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:

FL-18 and aqua view here. if ice is clear, I get it wet and set my transducer on the ice. if I mark fish, I drill a hole and set the camera down the hole to see what they are and then make my next move.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 am

How do you find weed beds and edges under the ice?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 am

Crazinamatese wrote:How do you find weed beds and edges under the ice?

Topo map of the lake and aqua view. Also find weed beds in fall with the boat. They may or may not be there when the lake ices over, but it will give you a starting point when the ice gets here.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:55 am

Crazinamatese wrote:How do you find weed beds and edges under the ice?

BB's right, your electronics can show you the weed beds and edges. Some of us (cough, cough..) have been ice fishing so long these electronics and hydromaps did not exist for most of our fishing careers.

If the water is clear, get your eyes right above the water in a hole you drilled through the ice... put a coat over your head to block out the surrounding light outside the hole and peer downward to see weeds, weedlines, dropoffs etc. Finding these structure areas will put you to work and keep you warm (keep telling yourself that). When successful, its a very satisfying way to fish.

Another potential shortcut is too begin by lining up about the same distance offshore as the locals, they generally are fishing a good depth or have located a basin bite. If the water is not clear and you are determined to find weeds, tie on a big spoon with a treble and begin taking bottom samples... drilling holes will put you to work and keep you warm! :lol:

Believe me, most of us have been in your position at some time or another. Sounds as though you are off to a great start. As far as rigging goes, let us know what you are really after and we can give you some shortcuts... panfish? pike? walleye or muskie? Your answer will give us the chance to shorten your learning curve.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:18 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:

Agreed. Did you ever forget it at home? Last time I forgot it, I only lasted about 5 minutes before heading back home. I felt significantly handicapped. I love chasing lines all day. :mrgreen:
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:22 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:

Agreed. Did you ever forget it at home? Last time I forgot it, I only lasted about 5 minutes before heading back home. I felt significantly handicapped. I love chasing lines all day. :mrgreen:

I would turn back around even if it cost a couple of hours of fishing. I also shoot it through the ice before I drill when I can. I either pour water on the ice to make a good connection for the transducer or use a torch to clear a small spot for the transducer. I love my old H20c Lowrance with the LakeMaster chips for lake bottom contour data... but Navionics on a phone would do the same ... ... but most of all the flasher so I can fish the whole water column.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 am

Im going after panfish right now. I may set up a tip up for pike a few times to experiment. Im fishing a local lake that is mostly 20 feet and the water is very murky. I guess the fish yesterday were biting ok around 10-15 feet about 100 yards the off shore line. Thats the depth I landed the perch. I have looked at some lake topos but I have yet to know how to read them. I hope sharpened blades wil make drilling holes easier. My arms are killing me today. :D
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 am

I also forgot to mention the local bait shop is a good source of intel. I did ask where the panfish were biting good which led me to where I set up yesterday. I think I just didn't change up my set up for jig color and presentation enough. Again, it would help if I knew if I was sitting on top of any fish or not.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:33 am

Talking with buddies a lot of guys are struggling right now pan fishing.

I don't own a vexlar. Will take my front graph of the boat to use from time to time ice fishing but rarely use it.

I do have a small camera also use from time to time but not a requirement.

Keep talking with bait shops for reports.

Electronics help ice fishing but far from a requirement.

My old man just picked one up a few years ago but nothing beforehand and I consider him the greatest pan fisherman I know. Ice fishing or open water.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”