Looking for advice on flasher purchase

• Advertisement

HB Store

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Re: Looking for advice on flasher purchase

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Went up to Gander mountain today, they had 10% off everything in store, great! Looked at marcums and Vexilar, all nice stuff, talked with sales rep which wasn't much help than asked what's in Stock, nothing but fl28, could order it for you, but not with 10%, see ya, hate Gander!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:31 pm

olivertractor wrote:Went up to Gander mountain today, they had 10% off everything in store, great! Looked at marcums and Vexilar, all nice stuff, talked with sales rep which wasn't much help than asked what's in Stock, nothing but fl28, could order it for you, but not with 10%, see ya, hate Gander!

You are better off buying it at Fleet Farm or some other store anyway. Ganders sale price is rarely great. Big boy toyland event should be starting at fleet in another week or so. That should knock off $50 off $350...and it will retail much less on the shelf.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:32 pm

For $500 I have the opinion that these units are pixie dust! :mrgreen:

For 1 small moment I considered that all this talk of fish cameras might have some bearing...

I'll just walk 200-yards into my cove, chip a small hole, stab a minnow on a line and catch fish - I must have the "mid-westerners" lake in my front yard ;)

Too rich for my blood!
DOES look like some nice units - Although, I would buy an Ozonics before one of these units :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:01 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
olivertractor wrote:Went up to Gander mountain today, they had 10% off everything in store, great! Looked at marcums and Vexilar, all nice stuff, talked with sales rep which wasn't much help than asked what's in Stock, nothing but fl28, could order it for you, but not with 10%, see ya, hate Gander!

You are better off buying it at Fleet Farm or some other store anyway. Ganders sale price is rarely great. Big boy toyland event should be starting at fleet in another week or so. That should knock off $50 off $350...and it will retail much less on the shelf.

Yeh Duluth is getting a fleet farm in the near future can't wait!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:03 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:For $500 I have the opinion that these units are pixie dust! :mrgreen:

For 1 small moment I considered that all this talk of fish cameras might have some bearing...

I'll just walk 200-yards into my cove, chip a small hole, stab a minnow on a line and catch fish - I must have the "mid-westerners" lake in my front yard ;)

Too rich for my blood!
DOES look like some nice units - Although, I would buy an Ozonics before one of these units :lol:

Ozionics for ice fishing, learn something new every day..... Lol

Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:27 pm

I fish superior around Washburn and Bayfield out into the islands. Where are you at Oliver?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Hilts wrote:I fish superior around Washburn and Bayfield out into the islands. Where are you at Oliver?

Live in superior, fish head of Lake a lot during open water. Last year when lake froze over fished north shore Minnesota some (really been dying to try open water winter fishing in winter up there, but don't have boat set up yet). My old man used to take me out as kid in the islands and bark Bay when ice used to be good, but as of late haven't made the trek too many times, hit up chequamagon Bay once in while too

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I've thought about converting one of my Lowrance HDS units for ice fishing like Parsons did in this video.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Orb3hs2_Q[/bbvideo]

He said the flashers are old school. I don't know about that but it would be cool to have my GPS and bottom contour data together with the sonar in one unit. Also the HDS does have an analog "flasher" type screen if you want to see that view of the water column.

I could see them being useful for walleyes but I think I would still want my Vexilar for crappies.

Edit: here's a guy fishing crappies with a regular sonar unit and also shows the analog dial view.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://youtu.be/dr-pNaGXh7s[/bbvideo]
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I've thought about converting one of my Lowrance HDS units for ice fishing like Parsons did in this video.

He said the flashers are old school. I don't know about that but it would be cool to have my GPS and bottom contour data together with the sonar in one unit. Also the HDS does have an analog "flasher" type screen if you want to see that view of the water column.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:06 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:I've thought about converting one of m y Lowrance HDS units for ice fishing like Parsons did in this video.

I could see them being useful for walleyes but I think I would still want my Vexilar for crappies.

Edit: here's a guy fishing crappies with a regular sonar unit and also shows the analog dial view.

I still use my vexilar in open water. Instantaneous data return is huge.

Only open water technology I would like BETTER applied to hard water is side imaging.
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:06 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:I've thought about converting one of my Lowrance HDS units for ice fishing like Parsons did in this video.

Yeh talking with guys at work about lowrance elite series, got some homework tonight, hmm?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:10 pm

From what I've heard, the Lowrance "flasher" LCD is "sluggish"
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:45 pm

I fish with a guy that uses and elite 5. He gets a lot of interference when fishing near any other unit.

olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:From what I've heard, the Lowrance "flasher" LCD is "sluggish"

Duly noted, going up to another shop tomorrow to poke around

olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Hilts wrote:I fish with a guy that uses and elite 5. He gets a lot of interference when fishing near any other unit.

Great info!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”