Propane Ice Augers ?!?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Propane Ice Augers ?!?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:25 am

Has anyone got one of these, and if so can you let me know what you think? They are very pricey right now, being new and all, but I suspect after awhile the price will come down a bit. I have to admit when I saw them in the stores, I wasn't impressed. I figured there would be problems using the little propane tanks... but then I got to see one in action (10 ") and wow, was I impressed! The guy barely pulled the handle and it fired right up. The noise the engine made was quiter than gas and it produced a steady rhythm of combustion. The part that really impressed me was the speed and power, it smoked my 10" gas auger...

My gas auger is very old, I will be in the market for a new auger soon. If anyone has heard anything bad about the propane augers, I would really appreciate a heads-up. Here's a pic of one of the propane augers, 10" blade and it retails for $450 right now... definitely more than I want to pay, but again, I think the price may come down a bit at the end of the season or as time goes by.

Brad

Re: Propane Ice Augers ?!?

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 am

I have heard they are a lot of trouble in cold weather , not sure how cold is cold. I know propane freezes up and doesnt flow, so I can see where that could be a concern. If I ever go away from a gas auger it will be to an electric one.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 am

I think anything new is going to have it's problems. Me and my brother are trying to decide on which propane auger to buy. I've been doing a lot of research and like the Jiffy Pro 4. I've heard the lite version has a few problems. Too make it lighter than need to cut weight but in doing so it doesn't have all that good of power to turn the 10" auger through a lot of ice. It's still gonna work just will make the motor work a lot harder. The eskimo's have gotten good reviews. I know one person that bought the hc-40??? this year and he loves it. Were to the point in the season where unless we find a screaming deal on an auger were gonna wait until next year.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 am

Brad wrote:I have heard they are a lot of trouble in cold weather , not sure how cold is cold. I know propane freezes up and doesnt flow, so I can see where that could be a concern. If I ever go away from a gas auger it will be to an electric one.

That would be my concern too. I was reminded last night when I fired up the gas grill.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:14 am

I havent verified this, but I was told by a bait shop owner that the jiffy's are a gas engine converted to run on propane vs. the new Eskimo that was designed for propane.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wibowhunt4me

Unread postby wibowhunt4me » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:28 pm

A buddy has one and we love it. The only problem he has had with it is starting it one time after leaving the propane tank all night. He didn't read in the manual where it says to remove tank after use. I have read a lot of problems with the jiffy augers. Most of the complaints being with the carburetors not being properly tuned. I guess they don't start them before shipping so the factory has you take them to an authorized shop to have them tuned. Not a big deal if you live close to one. Also a lot of guys take their propane tanks off and keep them in the truck or a warm shelter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
aspire to inspire before you expire
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:10 pm

My buddy has 10", that we used in Ontario this last trip.... Our experience was it doesn't rip like the 10" gas jiffy, but it just keeps cutting. Also that center blade definitely needs to be kept clean after use, I'm assuming due to slower revolutions, since never really had to baby sit the ole gas jobs as much it seems. I don't remember him ever taking the cylinder off at night at all and beginning of trip was milder, started first pull every time. It did get colder later in trip than took few pulls to fire. Overall good auger after we knew had to keep center blade cleaner, but since we drill mostly clover leafs or doubles, be tempted to try 8".

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Bridge I just texted my buddy who's got one. He has a 10" Jiffy Pro 4... not the lite. I have seen it in action and the cutting speed is very impressive. It throws ice 2' from the hole if you want it to. I asked him about cold temps and he said he used it this weekend with actual temp -8 and wind chill at -24. He claims whether its 40 degrees or below zero it starts on the 2nd pull every time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:41 pm

I have a jiffy pro lite. I love it. No darn gas jugs. Like another said, if the center blade ices over it will have to be cleaned. Starts great. Only thing i had to get use too was not pushing down while cutting. Just set it on the ice and hang on.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Great information - much appreciated! 8-)

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:11 pm

I have the Jiffy Pro 4 as well. No complaints. Always starts, cuts with ease. I also like being able to remove the auger shaft from the power head with a simple pin, so fitting inside flip overs for transports is easy.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Lot of guys around here use the electric augers. I think most have the 8 inch.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Brad wrote:I have heard they are a lot of trouble in cold weather , not sure how cold is cold. I know propane freezes up and doesnt flow, so I can see where that could be a concern. If I ever go away from a gas auger it will be to an electric one.

brad , travis just bought one I do not like it at all.....not impressed. on extremely cold days it dose not want to start ...I will start mine ( jiffy classic 30th anniversary ) and have three hole drilled by the time he gets his running ....

I have no desire to buy a propane auger after what I've seen for the past two season :naughty: yes gas are more stinky but reliable
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 am

I know a couple guys that have then and no complaints yet. Bought a new gas auger just before these came out, kind of wish I would have waited but not enough encentive to switch as this point.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:41 am

I have a Jiff Pro Lite (propane). Took 1 minute to properly tune it and now it fires within 2 to 3 pulls. and yes, in -40 degree weather too. Not a single problem as we just got back from North Dakota ice fishing. Going strong on (id estimate) 500 holes this season. I wont ever go back to gas. If you have any concerns call some auger dealers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”