Live from the Ice 2016/2017

• Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Live from the Ice 2016/2017

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:40 am

I wonder how many trucks are gonna go under in the next week or so with this heat wave that is expected to move into the upper midwest. Upper 50's by Monday!!!! :shock: Heard Battle on the Bago maybe cancelled.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I wonder how many trucks are gonna go under in the next week or so with this heat wave that is expected to move into the upper midwest. Upper 50's by Monday!!!! :shock: Heard Battle on the Bago maybe cancelled.

It will be messy for sure, even here in the Northwoods. We will be pulling our shack off Sunday after fishing.

The ice should still be OK but when it firms back up the shack would be a nightmare to break out of the frozen mess when it is time to pull for good.

Our biggest Sunday, my daughter's biggest through the ice so far.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:27 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I wonder how many trucks are gonna go under in the next week or so with this heat wave that is expected to move into the upper midwest. Upper 50's by Monday!!!! :shock: Heard Battle on the Bago maybe cancelled.

Heard they were gonna make a decision this Friday. A week straight of near 50 or higher leading up to it will not be good.

Always shake my head when people say "there is 18" of good ice" on such and such lake. When your auger goes thru like butter because the water is soaking thru the ice it's far from "safe".

No thanks.....I will be scouting for deer instead. I would rather risk my life on treacherous marsh ice instead. :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Dewey wrote:

Heard they were gonna make a decision this Friday. A week straight of near 50 or higher leading up to it will not be good.

Always shake my head when people say "there is 18" of good ice" on such and such lake. When your auger goes thru like butter because the water is soaking thru the ice it's far from "safe".

No thanks.....I will be scouting for deer instead. I would rather risk my life on treacherous marsh ice instead. :lol:

From my understanding there have been a couple trucks that went through the last few days on bago. The south end is totally closed to access.

The ice will be fine for the tournament. Only question is how far do you have to swim to reach it. Once you are on the main ice, the only concern is the sturgeon holes. That ice won't rot anywhere near as fast as the shore ice.

I know plenty of guys who wade out to the ice to ice fish on backwater sloughs. They just are prepared for it. Warm days, full wader suits and lots of dry clothes in their trucks. That's when you want to be ice fishing. Just scares you good the first time you break the ice. But the fish we have caught. Oh boy

However, I would never do that on bago. Much different doing it in a 3' deep backwater compared to a 20' deep lake.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:

From my understanding there have been a couple trucks that went through the last few days on bago. The south end is totally closed to access.

The ice will be fine for the tournament. Only question is how far do you have to swim to reach it. Once you are on the main ice, the only concern is the sturgeon holes. That ice won't rot anywhere near as fast as the shore ice.

I know plenty of guys who wade out to the ice to ice fish on backwater sloughs. They just are prepared for it. Warm days, full wader suits and lots of dry clothes in their trucks. That's when you want to be ice fishing. Just scares you good the first time you break the ice. But the fish we have caught. Oh boy

However, I would never do that on bago. Much different doing it in a 3' deep backwater compared to a 20' deep lake.

In my younger days I did some really stupid stuff when it came to ice fishing pushing our luck with absolute last ice of the season. Fishing was amazing but looking back it was really stupid to do for a few fish.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:38 pm

The lake I was on today was a ghost town. Only few people out there. Still 20 inches of ice but it looked very sketchy. Fishing today sucked. Lots of tiny bluegills. But Old Abe came down and made a visit...
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”