Sunken points for walleye

• Advertisement

HB Store

Forkhorn

Sunken points for walleye

Unread postby Forkhorn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:34 am

Hey guys, I am looking at icefishing a lake around here that has a couple points that come out from shore that are like 8’ of water on top the point and drop down to 30’. For walleyes, do you set up on the inside corners/sides of the point, or straight off the end of the point? Also, should I sit on top the point in 8 feet or get on the the drop off?

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Sunken points for walleye

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Wherever the fish are...sounds like a smart aleck answer but really they can be anywhere relating to the structure. They key is finding the pattern of the day, then repeating that. A lot of times the good place to start if there is any current or wind is the side protected from current, but that certainly isn't a rule. I would start shallow and work deep. If you can find that red hot bite it's a lot of times shallower.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Sunken points for walleye

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:18 pm

I agree with yinzer. If you get them shallow, you are in business. Personally I’d set up a tip up on top, and one on the point like halfway down. Then I’d jig with a jogging rapala, pimple or buckshot spoon and cover all over the point. If you mark fish or catch some, adjust a tip up or two.

But it varies greatly where you will get them. I’ve caught walleyes in 2’ of water midday in July, and the next day they are hunkered down in a hole with the same weather conditions.

I would definitely suggest a tip up on top if it’s later in the day. That’s the one consistent I have found on my river. Walleyes come in shallow to feed, and it’s not uncommon to have every tip up go off for my dad and I. Haven’t done that in years though
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”