Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 2704
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: Milwaukee
Status: Offline

Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby Jonny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:48 am

Rule change for one of the biggest ice fishing tournaments in the state, if not the entire country

Battle on ‘Bago 2018 rule addendum for walleye:

The lack of young of year gizzard shad has resulted in an exceptional walleye bite on the Winnebago System this winter. In past years, the number of walleye registered in the Battle on Bago Winter Tournament has been fairly low (144 in 2016, 2,191 in 2015, and 269 in 2014), however, the current low forage conditions and strong 2013 walleye year class could lead to higher numbers of adult female walleye being registered in the tournament. While always striving to have top-notch tournaments, Battle on Bago is also committed to not over exploiting our great fishery resources to ensure a healthy system for now and the future.

As such, considering the current situation on the system and comments received from a number of anglers who fish our tournament, the Battle on Bago committee has decided to implement an 18 to 22 inch “no registration” slot limit on walleyes for this year’s winter tournament in addition to the 14-inch minimum length requirement. We understand that anglers can currently keep walleyes of any size on the Lake Winnebago System, however, we want to encourage anglers to release those spawning walleyes (primarily from the 2013 year class). Anglers will still be able to target and register walleyes from 14” to 18” and those over 22 inches. We have consulted with our local DNR fish biologists regarding this decision and have their support for implementing this tournament slot limit for the 2018 event. Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping our walleye fishery one of the best in the Midwest. We will be posting signage at landings, and at ticket & media outlets.

Good luck, have fun and above all be safe!


Also from the Spring Hearing questionnaire for this year (https://dnr.wi.gov/About/WCC/Documents/ ... nnaire.pdf)

8. Do you favor reducing the walleye bag limit from 5 to 3 on the Lake
Winnebago system? 8. YES____ NO_____


"Get busy living or get busy dying"
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 22568
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby Dewey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 am

I saw the Battle On Bago rule change yesterday and think it's a great idea. Not sure if a 3 fish limit is needed but I think a slot size is long overdue. Winnebago is an incredible walleye fishery and would like to see it that way for a long time. There are tournaments out there just about every single weekend during open water and fishing pressure is increasing every year. Protecting the resource is the smart thing to do.
Chuck B
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:15 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby Chuck B » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 am

That sounds like a good rule. I have never fished Bago before, but sounds like a good lake and a good tourney.

I did fish in the "worlds largest ice fishing tourney" a couple of weekends ago up in Brainerd, MN. I have fished in this 14 straight years. One thing I will say, is if you see someone that looks like this (see link) that day, follow him and/or turn him in! Real "fishy". Him and his son have placed in a lot of tournaments. Complete BS. My theory is they don't try to win, they just try to place. But, this year, their "placing" actually won because of the low amount of fish caught.

http://www.startribune.com/brainerd-jay ... 472548253/
Last edited by Chuck B on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
User avatar
llcooljames
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:04 am
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby llcooljames » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 am

Chuck B wrote:That sounds like a good rule. I have never fished Bago before, but sounds like a good lake and a good tourney.

I did fish in the "worlds largest ice fishing tourney" a couple of weekends ago up in Brainerd, MN. I have fished in this 14 straight years. One thing I will say, is if you see someone that looks like this (see link) that day, follow him and/or turn him in! Real "fishy". Him and his son have placed in a lot of tournaments. Complete BS. My theory is they don't try to win, they just try to place. But, this year, their "placing" actually won because of the low amount of fish caught.

https://www.northwesternmutual.com/life ... s-for-you/


I think your link is wrong
Chuck B
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:15 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby Chuck B » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

llcooljames wrote:
Chuck B wrote:That sounds like a good rule. I have never fished Bago before, but sounds like a good lake and a good tourney.

I did fish in the "worlds largest ice fishing tourney" a couple of weekends ago up in Brainerd, MN. I have fished in this 14 straight years. One thing I will say, is if you see someone that looks like this (see link) that day, follow him and/or turn him in! Real "fishy". Him and his son have placed in a lot of tournaments. Complete BS. My theory is they don't try to win, they just try to place. But, this year, their "placing" actually won because of the low amount of fish caught.

https://www.northwesternmutual.com/life ... s-for-you/


I think your link is wrong


Haha, thanks for letting me know! I fixed it now. Perhaps you got some good insight from my company into the recent stock market plunge as well :lol: :lol:
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
matt1336
500 Club
Posts: 1804
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby matt1336 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 am

I was talking to my buddies about this. Why implement this rule for one tournament? Why not all year? Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come
User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 2704
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: Milwaukee
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby Jonny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 am

matt1336 wrote:I was talking to my buddies about this. Why implement this rule for one tournament? Why not all year? Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come


Everything I'm hearing is its only going to be a feel good thing for them. Personally, I'm still keeping walleyes in that range even if I can't register them. Just too tasty :lol: and I think everybody out fishing will feel the same way, unless they already release them regardless.

I'm not really getting the whole idea for a rule change. Things have been working fine honestly. Everything runs in cycles, and this year we are just lucky a great spawning year class is good size, and baitfish had a bad spawn. Low baitfish always results in better fishing. Years of high bait gave awful fishing (last couple of years). Every walleye I catch is built like a tank. I even get big fillets off 12" fish.

I look at this similar to the Fox Lake dilemma. Gotta take the good with the bad, every couple of years it is the best crappie lake in the state because it all runs in cycles. Right now it isn't worth much time, but that will change once they get another great spawn.

Winnebago to me has always been a fish factory. Just like Stoddard for bluegills and perch. I've gone to stoddard for probably 15 years now. Every year we catch piles of quality fish, and aren't the only ones doing so. The system just keeps producing, so why change things. I've seen plenty of lakes ruined by over regulating things when in reality, taking fish out of a system can be really beneficial. Same thing as shooting does, you need to keep the population in check. Too many fish will result in stunting and a real mess.

If I had to pick a rule change, I'd rather see something similar to green bay. Reduce the amount of fish taken out in the spring when they are most vulnerable.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
matt1336
500 Club
Posts: 1804
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby matt1336 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am

Yeah I guess we need to leave these decisions to the dnr..... Um, hopefully they are getting this one right. But then again there aren’t too many walleyes getting hit by cars. This means the big money is out of this. Hopefully that leads to better decision making by the Dnr.
User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 2704
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: Milwaukee
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby Jonny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm

matt1336 wrote:Yeah I guess we need to leave these decisions to the dnr..... Um, hopefully they are getting this one right. But then again there aren’t too many walleyes getting hit by cars. This means the big money is out of this. Hopefully that leads to better decision making by the Dnr.


One can only hope. Whatever they pick, as long as they can back it up, I’ll support it. Cause I truly love fishing Winnebago. Nothing else like it. Would hate to see it collapse
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
User avatar
rutnbuck
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: SE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Lake Winnebago and Battle on Bago

Postby rutnbuck » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Catching a lot of 17-22 inch on the system now. I'll keep them also if I catch during the tournament. Will give the white bass anglers a better chance in placing. It will be a great tournament regardless. Can't wait.

Return to “Ice Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest