Live from the ice 2021...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Live from the ice 2021...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:44 am

Its been awhile since we had a live from the ice thread. Live updates, reports. You know the routine...

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Crazinamatese

Re: Live from the ice 2021...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:49 am

I guess I will be the first to start. I been on a couple lakes here in west-central WI. As of yesterday, there is at least 8-10 inches of ice so far on two lakes I visited. Finnicky bite the last three outings. Targeting panfish in 15-20 ft. of water...
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Had to work hard for keepers today... went with a bigger presentation for the bigger fish and it paid off. Turned them into fish tacos. Seen couple full size trucks on the ice for the first time this season. About 10 inches of ice :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:00 pm

Had fish tacos twice last week. Might go tomorrow. We have 4" of water on top of the ice now with all the snow we got. Kind of a mess. Nice gills!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:40 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Had to work hard for keepers today... went with a bigger presentation for the bigger fish and it paid off. Turned them into fish tacos. Seen couple full size trucks on the ice for the first time this season. About 10 inches of ice :shock:

Yummy!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:16 pm

Took my castle and the whole fam to a lake about an hour from home. Good walleye lake that I never fish in the winter. Two of my friends came and brought their own house as well. They tried 10 fow randomly in the mud flats, I tried 7 fow on a small isolated rock pile that doesn’t show up on the lakemaster contours.

I ended up moving after dark because they were hitting them pretty good, and we were slow.

So we missed the good evening bite but picked up a few over night. They left with their limit at 10:00 am and we left at noon with 6 nice eaters. Threw a couple back, caught 2 northerns, and missed probably 7! Fun day! Hoping to go back Tuesday with my Dad and my oldest.

I’m not much of a fisherman and I haven’t done real well locally the last few years. So it was fun to get into them! Hopefully they stay active.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:21 pm

Crazi I just noticed your comment about full sized trucks on 10”. I watched two pull 8x16 ice castles off the lake today. I popped two holes yesterday and got 10” and 11.5”.

I think one ballsy driver heads out there and everyone else things it’s safe.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:39 am

Nice work fellas
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:17 am

You guys are much more dialed in than I am. I've tagged along with a few buddies several times now, and have struck out every time. Nothing jigging or on tip ups.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:23 am

Got the wheel house on a "local" lake been getting some small walleyes in 20ft. Took a trip to mille lacs on Saturday and got into some. No real big ones. Did catch a 21.5 that I brought home for my ONE fish limit... I wish I had half as many fishing spots within 30mins of the house as I do hunting spots. Not sure that's something to complain about tho haha.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:11 pm

RiverBottoms wrote:You guys are much more dialed in than I am. I've tagged along with a few buddies several times now, and have struck out every time. Nothing jigging or on tip ups.

I learn alot about ice fishing watching in-depth outdoors vids on youtube... I kinda learned to fish along the edges of of deep basins where fish travel along. Navionics app has helped me look for them on area lakes. Lockdown, those filets look excellent! And there was a full size truck hauling what looked like a 25 foot ice castle on 10 inches last weekend. Maybe I underestimate the strength of ice. I won’t drive on until there is at least 15 inches. Amazed me enough that I had to crawl out of my flip over to watch and wait for it to bust through but they made the trip without incident. They were on the other side of the lake and the ice I was standing on was popping and snapping pretty good. Everyone around me was pointing and shaking their heads in disbelief lol.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 am

Live from the ice for me would be a inside look of Busch lattes in my cooler. However, I am fascinated with it. Hope this doesn’t derail cause it’s not my intent. But I got curious questions that I don’t know or have the opportunity to figure out.

For 1 what leads u to drill a hole where u do? Is electronics involved? Gut feeling? Or just the ole well “F” it this seems like a good spot?

I don’t deal with near that kinda cold, mid 40s is the lowest I ever see on my home lake. In those conditions the fishies metabolism has slowed to basically a no interest to feed. Basically have to beat em over the head with a jig and tick em off enough to strike. In those harsh conditions do the fish actively feed?

Is the mentality behind the hole is that sooner or later one will swim by? Or does the hole itself create activity?

Different animal for this southern hillbilly any insight is much appreciated. I luv learning tricks of the trade.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Good questions. I think Im still a novice ice fisherman. I know what I know and it works for me. For me, ice fishing is kinda like looking for deer. I look at lake contour maps on the navionics app and look for certain terrain features that are underwater and go out on the ice to check it out... I will drill holes until I find fish that are in good numbers on the Marcum flasher and drop down a tungsten jig with a wax worm. I Jig a few feet above them to see if they are hungry. If they are, I set up and hang out for awhile drink a few beers and fill the bucket. If not, I move on and continue to drill more holes until I find a hungry school of fish.

Latest technologies such as the K-drill ice auger make mobile ice fishing sooooo much easier.

Sometimes I will go to lake I never been to with only a K-drill, jigging rod, and marcum flasher and run and gun drilling holes all the way across the lake to see the quality of the fish in the lake. Its basically scouting. I never trust a stranger’s word on how the fishing is like on a body of water. You are better off going out and finding out for yourself...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Night and day different this evening. Made it out for a couple hours and only had two bites. Missed one and the other ran 8’ and spit it out.

I’ll never understand how fish can turn down an easy meal. Saw on Fb that a couple other guys had slow nights too. Maybe an off day? Will be out again later this week.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Live from the ice for me would be a inside look of Busch lattes in my cooler. However, I am fascinated with it. Hope this doesn’t derail cause it’s not my intent. But I got curious questions that I don’t know or have the opportunity to figure out.

For 1 what leads u to drill a hole where u do? Is electronics involved? Gut feeling? Or just the ole well “F” it this seems like a good spot?

I don’t deal with near that kinda cold, mid 40s is the lowest I ever see on my home lake. In those conditions the fishies metabolism has slowed to basically a no interest to feed. Basically have to beat em over the head with a jig and tick em off enough to strike. In those harsh conditions do the fish actively feed?

Is the mentality behind the hole is that sooner or later one will swim by? Or does the hole itself create activity?

Different animal for this southern hillbilly any insight is much appreciated. I luv learning tricks of the trade.

One of the best things about ice fishing is you don't need a cooler to keep the busch lattes cold. Sometimes one is required to keep them from turning into slushies when it is bitter cold.
As said, contour lines, rock piles, mud flats, brush piles are my main attractants and reasons I drill where I do. Some lakes or especially farm ponds without structure or contour it is basically just waiting for fish to cycle through. Catch a few and then you try to follow them or wait til they cycle back. If there is brush piles or something else usually there are there and fish come and go from it regularly.
And the fish do feed in these Temps. In fact many times if you can get one to bite it almost starts a feeding frenzy, especially in yellow bass and other pan fish.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”