Live from the ice 2021...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Live from the ice 2021...

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:02 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Good questions. I think Im still a novice ice fisherman. I know what I know and it works for me. For me, ice fishing is kinda like looking for deer. I look at lake contour maps on the navionics app and look for certain terrain features that are underwater and go out on the ice to check it out... I will drill holes until I find fish that are in good numbers on the Marcum flasher and drop down a tungsten jig with a wax worm. I Jig a few feet above them to see if they are hungry. If they are, I set up and hang out for awhile drink a few beers and fill the bucket. If not, I move on and continue to drill more holes until I find a hungry school of fish.

Latest technologies such as the K-drill ice auger make mobile ice fishing sooooo much easier.

Sometimes I will go to lake I never been to with only a K-drill, jigging rod, and marcum flasher and run and gun drilling holes all the way across the lake to see the quality of the fish in the lake. Its basically scouting. I never trust a stranger’s word on how the fishing is like on a body of water. You are better off going out and finding out for yourself...

Appreciate the insight. Must confess it’s not what I thought at all. Maybe I was thinking Hollywood ice fishing. You know the shanty towns, fishing from a laziboy, next to the heater. Still sounds fun. Good luck I will be following along.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:17 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Good questions. I think Im still a novice ice fisherman. I know what I know and it works for me. For me, ice fishing is kinda like looking for deer. I look at lake contour maps on the navionics app and look for certain terrain features that are underwater and go out on the ice to check it out... I will drill holes until I find fish that are in good numbers on the Marcum flasher and drop down a tungsten jig with a wax worm. I Jig a few feet above them to see if they are hungry. If they are, I set up and hang out for awhile drink a few beers and fill the bucket. If not, I move on and continue to drill more holes until I find a hungry school of fish.

Latest technologies such as the K-drill ice auger make mobile ice fishing sooooo much easier.

Sometimes I will go to lake I never been to with only a K-drill, jigging rod, and marcum flasher and run and gun drilling holes all the way across the lake to see the quality of the fish in the lake. Its basically scouting. I never trust a stranger’s word on how the fishing is like on a body of water. You are better off going out and finding out for yourself...

Appreciate the insight. Must confess it’s not what I thought at all. Maybe I was thinking Hollywood ice fishing. You know the shanty towns, fishing from a laziboy, next to the heater. Still sounds fun. Good luck I will be following along.

I have a Hollywood house. Google “Ice Castle fish house”... it’s not a very mobile way to fish. More like camp out on structure and wait for schools to swim through.

Fishing mobile definitely puts more fish top side. Keep going until you find them.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:47 am

Lockdown wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

I have a Hollywood house. Google “Ice Castle fish house”... it’s not a very mobile way to fish. More like camp out on structure and wait for schools to swim through.

Fishing mobile definitely puts more fish top side. Keep going until you find them.

Now that’s what I’m talking about! The Cadillac of ice shanties. Put me in coach I’m ready!

-John Wayne-
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:50 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Now that’s what I’m talking about! The Cadillac of ice shanties. Put me in coach I’m ready!

Good call with the green hornet!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:00 am

Just starting to see some ice here in w. Michigan. Bayous have about 4-6" or so, still open water in the basins. Trying for some gills and yellow perch this weekend somewhere, maybe throw out a tip up or 2 for pike or an occasional walleye. Waiting for that big freeze on the bigger inland lakes that feed off Lake Michigan for white belly perch action!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:20 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

Oh there are people that do ice fish like that. Some lakes have people living on the ice all winter in those big ice castles like Lockdown has. I dont have the money for that kinda thing but maybe someday... This is what I hang out in when Im out on the ice...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:38 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Oh there are people that do ice fish like that. Some lakes have people living on the ice all winter in those big ice castles like Lockdown has. I dont have the money for that kinda thing but maybe someday... This is what I hang out in when Im out on the ice...

Gotta keep in mind I camp in the castle when I hunt out of state. Brought it to western SD twice and WI once. It beats tenting it :lol:

so it’s multi purpose! My kids love it too... we slept in it in the driveway last weekend. :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:45 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

Your watching too much Grumpy Old Men. The Green Hornets caught more fish than you’ve lied about Gustafson. :lol:

My favorite movie by far. 8-)
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:57 am

The old man made that movie Dewey! It’s one of my favs as well. I 4get the exact words but something like.

I ate 12 pieces of bacon, 2 cups of coffee, smoked a pack of cigarettes and still beat u candy aces out here. :lol:
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 am

Boogieman1 wrote:The old man made that movie Dewey! It’s one of my favs as well. I 4get the exact words but something like.

I ate 12 pieces of bacon, 2 cups of coffee, smoked a pack of cigarettes and still beat u candy aces out here. :lol:

Yup. Classic. That was Grumpier Old Men. :lol:
https://youtu.be/-TrOZRHB31c
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 am

I like that story! Lol one of my all time favs as well
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 am

Last October I turned 40 years old, I haven’t exercised a day in my life. I wake up every morning, put in a pinch of snuff and scratch myself while observing the flags on my porch. From their I grab a handful of cold crappie fillets. For lunch I have a fried crappie sandwich. For a midday snack do u know what I have? That’s right fried crappie, an entire dang plate of em. I normally have Busch Lattes for dinner. All the flat belly experts say I should have been sidelined from the whitetail woods years ago. No moral here just enjoy telling that story.

Sorry couldn’t resist
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:30 pm

:lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:48 pm

Oh man I love that movie.
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:56 pm

Went out spearing this afternoon. First spin of the decoy brought in the biggest walleye I have ever seen. The decoy is 8” long. Would say that walleye had to have been 28”+. Image

Saw 3 small northerns, only threw the spear once and came up empty.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”