Hours of searching per shed...

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Hours of searching per shed...

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 am

gjs4 wrote:one , what should be obvious, thing i learned is you cannot find sheds where bucks do not winter. my ground is lousy wintering ground.

iavergae about 2 sheds per dead deer....gotta love NY gun season. I have found none in 4 hours and have found 4 in five minutes... would say all in all about 2-3 but honestly i am scouting and looking for other sign more so than sheds...

I go threw the same thing I find all my sheds in same places every year. good thing is that's also where I shoot all my deer

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:14 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
flinginairos wrote:Well my shed season started fairly decent and just completely tanked :lol: Walked over 60 miles and never found another one. Not even sure how many hours I have walked now where I found nothing. Oh well, I was mainly looking for new hunting spots instead of sheds so hopefully that will pay off with a rack attached to a buck this coming fall! :mrgreen:

the more you do it the better you will get. its training your eyes to it then you will find them every time you are outside!

I think the areas I shed hunt just don't hold many deer in the winter. I know one thing, I may not have found many sheds but my post season scouting/shed hunting paid off huge for me this season!! 8-)
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:20 am

flinginairos wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
flinginairos wrote:Well my shed season started fairly decent and just completely tanked :lol: Walked over 60 miles and never found another one. Not even sure how many hours I have walked now where I found nothing. Oh well, I was mainly looking for new hunting spots instead of sheds so hopefully that will pay off with a rack attached to a buck this coming fall! :mrgreen:

the more you do it the better you will get. its training your eyes to it then you will find them every time you are outside!

I think the areas I shed hunt just don't hold many deer in the winter. I know one thing, I may not have found many sheds but my post season scouting/shed hunting paid off huge for me this season!! 8-)

its all about finding beds for sheds or hunting. find the bed find the shed kill the buck
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 am

If shed antlers were food I would starve to death. lol
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 am

I can't quote hours per shed, but I can tell you miles per she'd. 2016 was my best year ever and I found 62 or 63 and averaged about 4 miles per shed. Typically it is more like 7 miles per shed. I averaged over 230 miles per spring for 2014, 2015, and 2016. I didn't get out near as much last spring due to owning a new house, etc.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 am

I must be blind. I've been post season scouting my entire 30 year bowhunting career and have only found one shed and a couple of deadheads. I'm in the woods constantly before spring green up but just never seem to have any luck finding sheds. The areas I look have a lot of bucks in them during hunting season. This past fall I saw 10 different bucks during bow season in the 60 acre thicket I hunt including a couple of 2.5 year old 8 points and a 150 class 10 point....but I wont find any sheds in that thicket this spring.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm

I've never really kept track of hours in the woods or miles she hunting but can tell u once I started to scout beast style my she'd numbers went way up and all big sheds. I don't have a eye for the small ones :lol: . I just bed hunt now I'd rather kill em
Killsmeals

Unread postby Killsmeals » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm

I have only been shed hunting for whitetails a few time with pretty slow luck. I am usually out west working from mid January till the first of June. I love shed hunting out west it is definitely a lot easier and you can also glass for them and save a little walking. Pretty cool picking up muley and elk sheds. Out west I can average one an hour.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Mathewshooter wrote:I must be blind. I've been post season scouting my entire 30 year bowhunting career and have only found one shed and a couple of deadheads. I'm in the woods constantly before spring green up but just never seem to have any luck finding sheds. The areas I look have a lot of bucks in them during hunting season. This past fall I saw 10 different bucks during bow season in the 60 acre thicket I hunt including a couple of 2.5 year old 8 points and a 150 class 10 point....but I wont find any sheds in that thicket this spring.

Where bucks are in the fall and where they drop their antlers are very often different places. 1/3 to 1/2 the farms I've gained shed hunting permission on I never return to because deer just don't spend the winter there.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Mathewshooter wrote:I must be blind. I've been post season scouting my entire 30 year bowhunting career and have only found one shed and a couple of deadheads. I'm in the woods constantly before spring green up but just never seem to have any luck finding sheds. The areas I look have a lot of bucks in them during hunting season. This past fall I saw 10 different bucks during bow season in the 60 acre thicket I hunt including a couple of 2.5 year old 8 points and a 150 class 10 point....but I wont find any sheds in that thicket this spring.
they are some place some of my prime areas drain of deer after gun season sometimes they all winter a mile away but once you find a couple you can find them their year after year. look for thermal pockets pines cedar thickets shed scout in snow and find the yards by tracks walk all the trails take notes and come back when the snow is gone. some of my biggest sheds are from real remote mountain tops where the big old bucks are too stubborn to leave they are normally just about laying in the bed those old hermit bucks don't go more than a hundred yards all winter. the buck will sit next too a thick blow down in ledges in a wall of hemlock trees near a spring and dig water crest or wax myrtle all winter long. id put up pics of some sheds but I have no clue how too do that lol.
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 am

2 years ago me and a buddy walked 40 miles in 3 days on ohio public. I found 7 sheds. 3 sets of matches, and one single. Last year i walked the same public and didn't find any. Lots of boot tracks last year, so i'm guessing people beat me to it. I live 6 hours away from the parcel, so wait late to go to make sure all bucks have dropped... that strategy didn't work last year.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm

So far this year I have 39.7 mi. and found one shed and it was sitting there for a year. I find very few sheds.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:58 am

Last year I averaged 12 hours per shed. I've never kept track of miles. Not alot of shed Hunters around me but Yotes are very real competition.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”