Hours of searching per shed...

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

flinginairos
500 Club

Re: Hours of searching per shed...

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:40 am

I would say about 5-6 hours a shed for me. I've found five this year in five outings. Three of those hunts were a bust but on one hunt in just two hours I found three lol. I don't find many in my area and when I do they are normally small. I did find two nice ones last year while turkey hunting just got lucky. The funniest one this year was laying right at the base of the tree I have been hunting and it was from last year. It was laying down in some ferns and I didn't see it until all the grass and ferns had died off and been mashed down. I had been within 1-2' of it probably five times :lol:

sheddinva

Unread postby sheddinva » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 am

I look in the cities on my lunch breaks so I'd say some months 30 minutes to an hour per shed. Other times I find 4 or 5 in an hour lunch break. If I walk areas I hunt I hardly ever find sheds
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:07 am

I enjoy looking for them. I devote a couple days around my home but the bucks don't drop until mid march-April. I usually pick a few up on this property. So it's hard to say. I'd say 1 every couple hours.

Up north in the "big woods" it's not great at all. There are areas that I can spend some time in and I'd probably do alright but I just press on and continue my scouting efforts. Most of the time I stumble across them like most people. I'm a terrible shed hunter. The ones that catch my eyes are the bigger ones. Here... I'm guessing 1 shed every 8-12 hours.
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:21 am

I went on a shed hunting/scouting trip last year. We walked about 45 miles in 3 days, and found about 8 sheds. 3 sets laying right beside each other, and the other 2 singles were in the same picked bean field... averaging out our time and it ended up being 6-8 hours per shed, but they were really found more clustered, as most were sets.
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:45 am

After many years of searching, I found my second ever shed today. I'm in a low density area and honestly I don't think I have an eye for it. My brother was just giving me a pep talk and 5 minutes later... boom!
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:05 am

Imageimage hosting free

Imageimage hosting free

I would say from my experience this year, it has been sort of a "feast or famine" thing. On a family farm I have found 6 sheds this year in approx 10 hours of walking...pretty good ratio until you consider that I found 4 of them in about a 15 minute stretch (ref bottom pic). Also of note, of the 6 I've found only 2 were fresh (this year's drops).

I started out this off season looking for sheds more than scouting because I was borderline obsessed with finding the sheds off of our #1 target buck in particular. After a couple of unsuccessful ventures (and some good advice from some beast members), I started focusing more on looking for beds and just figured I might stumble across a few sheds in the process. In the top pic, you can see the downed log in the background. It has a bed right next to it that is somewhat faint. I figured maybe it's a seasonal bed without much use lately. It is overlooking a well-worn trail about 20-30 yards down the hill so maybe a rut bed. I was kneeling down confirming some hair in the bed when I looked up and saw the shed laying just a few yards away (where I'm standing when I took the pic). This shed is from the target buck I mentioned earlier. I wanted to give credit to the good advice I received. By shifting my focus, I have collected more pieces of the puzzle than I would have had I been just walking through the woods looking for bone, but it also led to my finding one of his sheds (so far ;) ) in the process. Hopefully I'll be on here posting a pic of the other side soon.
ky jack
Facebook: jack seppala

Unread postby ky jack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am

For me it's about 3 or 4 hours per shed I found 39 this year most were near bedding im usually scouting and looking for sheds. Since I found the beast I have more fun scouting than just shed hunting
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:36 am

ky jack wrote:For me it's about 3 or 4 hours per shed I found 39 this year most were near bedding im usually scouting and looking for sheds. Since I found the beast I have more fun scouting than just shed hunting

39 that's incredible!
ky jack
Facebook: jack seppala

Unread postby ky jack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Nocturnal wrote:
ky jack wrote:For me it's about 3 or 4 hours per shed I found 39 this year most were near bedding im usually scouting and looking for sheds. Since I found the beast I have more fun scouting than just shed hunting

39 that's incredible!

Yea it was a good year expecialy since I found them all on public ground
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Like a few others have stated I spend most of my time scouting rather than look for sheds, I find that if I look for sheds I miss to much sign, so I've put less emphasis on looking for them the last few years, one exception was in 2015 I really wanted to find the sheds of one particular buck I was hunting in NE Ohio and never found his sheds, well not until after I killed him this past season, then I found his left side from 2015 not 80 yards from where I killed him on 11/14/16. I walked past that shed several times since it dropped after the 2015 season.

But back when I used to look hard for them I'd say 4-6 hours of walking per shed.
Aim small miss small
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:11 am

I'd have better luck finding an IS...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Well my shed season started fairly decent and just completely tanked :lol: Walked over 60 miles and never found another one. Not even sure how many hours I have walked now where I found nothing. Oh well, I was mainly looking for new hunting spots instead of sheds so hopefully that will pay off with a rack attached to a buck this coming fall! :mrgreen:
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 am

Nocturnal wrote:

39 that's incredible!

Wow! What's especially incredible is the number of hours that totals up to! That's equivalent to like 3 full work weeks with some overtime scattered in there. Ky Jack, props to ya on putting in the hard work. Hope it pays off for you this fall! :clap:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:37 am

dan wrote:How many hours on average do you spend searching for sheds per shed you find? I usually just scout now, but I think my average was about 4 hours per shed last time I spent time at it.

first thing first thank you for all that you do for us fellow hunters. I'm averaging 2 miles per shed in hardwoods and 30 minutes in bedding areas. every year it gets a little better.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 am

flinginairos wrote:Well my shed season started fairly decent and just completely tanked :lol: Walked over 60 miles and never found another one. Not even sure how many hours I have walked now where I found nothing. Oh well, I was mainly looking for new hunting spots instead of sheds so hopefully that will pay off with a rack attached to a buck this coming fall! :mrgreen:

the more you do it the better you will get. its training your eyes to it then you will find them every time you are outside!
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”