Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Hours of searching per shed...

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 am

How many hours on average do you spend searching for sheds per shed you find? I usually just scout now, but I think my average was about 4 hours per shed last time I spent time at it.

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Hours of searching per shed...

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 am

Here in my area of NY if I walk 6 hours a day, I'll find one shed every other day. Me and a buddy had a record day where we found 11 in one day, about half were fresh.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 am

I never specifically look just for sheds so if I find one it is usually while I am scouting. I'm sure I miss a bunch of them.

On average I only find maybe one per year this way.

Dan, I'm curious if you have any luck finding many sheds in cattail marshes? Of all the sheds I found only 2 came from a cattail marsh even though that is where I spent most of my time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 am

I, m not sure but I bet over 10 hours per shed mabey more. Or more accurately 10 miles per shed.
Last year only found 4. Walked roughly 40 miles. Hardly seems worth it. Image
Here is one I found in the swamp.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:50 am

Swampthing wrote:I, m not sure but I bet over 10 hours per shed mabey more. Or more accurately 10 miles per shed.
Last year only found 4. Walked roughly 40 miles. Hardly seems worth it. Image
Here is one I found in the swamp.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I remember when you posted that one. Great find and good eye! :) I probably walk over those all the time!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:51 am

Dan, I'm curious if you have any luck finding many sheds in cattail marshes? Of all the sheds I found only 2 came from a cattail marsh even though that is where I spent most of my time.

Most of the sheds I have found in the marsh were actually found during hunting season when I step on them out at the edges of islands... I don't find many in the marsh looking for them. More in the fields and woods.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:59 am

One thing for sure the amount of time per shed has gone down each year.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Walked about 70hrs. and found 13 sheds and 2 dead bucks! :) :) :)
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:57 pm

one , what should be obvious, thing i learned is you cannot find sheds where bucks do not winter. my ground is lousy wintering ground.

iavergae about 2 sheds per dead deer....gotta love NY gun season. I have found none in 4 hours and have found 4 in five minutes... would say all in all about 2-3 but honestly i am scouting and looking for other sign more so than sheds...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:27 pm

A few years back I was out snowmobiling with a friend. He hunts , but just not too hardcore. We were sledding with-in the city limits, where there is NO HUNTING but good deer numbers. All I could think about was all the sheds that might be laying out in the woods we were passing by.
We had stopped along some RR tracks , and he says to me. " So how do you SHED HUNT ?
I wanta try . I'm thinking to my-self GOOD LUCK .You need to bust your but put on some miles and if your lucky , you might find one. I go on to tell him how I had only found 2 so far this year.
So i decide to play along. FIRST you need to find a well used deer trail. So he looks around and says " Oh kinda like this one right here ? " SECOND you need to walk the trail and scan for an antler or tines sticking up ? THIRD if you find a side then keep looking but along the opposite side of the trail for the other side.
So he takes about 3 steps onto the trail . And says " HEY there's one ! and picks up a 4 point right side. " Now I just keep walking and look on the left side of the trail for the other side ? "
I jealousy respond " Yeah " He takes about 5 more steps and hollers " Hey Donivan ! I found the other side. Then he says boy i like shed hunting it's easy . How come you 've only found 2 so far ?
So to some it up. My buddy in a matter of 2 minutes decides he is gonna try shed hunting and finds a MATCHED SET . Unbeleivable !
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Swampthing wrote:A few years back I was out snowmobiling with a friend. He hunts , but just not too hardcore. We were sledding with-in the city limits, where there is NO HUNTING but good deer numbers. All I could think about was all the sheds that might be laying out in the woods we were passing by.
We had stopped along some RR tracks , and he says to me. " So how do you SHED HUNT ?
I wanta try . I'm thinking to my-self GOOD LUCK .You need to bust your but put on some miles and if your lucky , you might find one. I go on to tell him how I had only found 2 so far this year.
So i decide to play along. FIRST you need to find a well used deer trail. So he looks around and says " Oh kinda like this one right here ? " SECOND you need to walk the trail and scan for an antler or tines sticking up ? THIRD if you find a side then keep looking but along the opposite side of the trail for the other side.
So he takes about 3 steps onto the trail . And says " HEY there's one ! and picks up a 4 point right side. " Now I just keep walking and look on the left side of the trail for the other side ? "
I jealousy respond " Yeah " He takes about 5 more steps and hollers " Hey Donivan ! I found the other side. Then he says boy i like shed hunting it's easy . How come you 've only found 2 so far ?
So to some it up. My buddy in a matter of 2 minutes decides he is gonna try shed hunting and finds a MATCHED SET . Unbeleivable !

:shock: :clap: beginners luck :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:53 pm

I usually dedicate one day to each area I hunt. This is what I found last year in one area 7 hrs of looking.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Public land is first come first serve, that being said some places require a few trips to the same spots in order to find sheds.

I look at it as time well spent. Good exercise and its always good to be in the woods/fields/marsh.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Stan, thats good work.

I have never put any effort into shed hunting. Maybe this year. Adds an extra element to scouting at least.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:34 am

I think I spend 3 hours looking per shed on average ground. In my best spots it may be 2+ sheds per hour.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”