Coyotes grabbing antlers?

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Coyotes grabbing antlers?

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:18 am

P&YBuck1 wrote:Interesting post Stanley.

I have not witnessed this but can see the validity of it.

I know dogs like these as you see antlers sold at pet stores so maybe natures way to clean teeth and vitamins for the yotes.

I did see a fox by my stand several years ago chew on a glove a hunter lost that had the leather palm, so interesting what all they guys my chew on and why.

I know I have seen bones void of meat being chewed on but have not see antlers, but as others say maybe another reason or excuse for me why I don't find
many. :)

Good post!

I witnessed a red fox steal a guys golf ball on our local golf course, with us standing 15 yards away lol. It kept looking back at us while it trotted off. Then stood in the woods line looking at us eventually taking it in the woods, then coming back with a friend lol. No telling how many balls that thing stole

Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am

No doubt coyotes can be the culprits. They love chewing on and carrying stuff around.

Look closely at a lot of the plastic trash you find when you are out and about, most times its got canine chew holes in it.
I think the pups will really get into this. I've found this many times in late summer/early fall scouting where the grass will be laid flat in a large area with one or multiple (usually plastic) chew toys laying in it. If you scout around there's usually a coyote den site close by. It's like mamma brings stuff home for the young'ns to play with.

Hint: Even though by late summer the pups will be out of the den site, it's still a great spot for couple of dirt hole sets! :D
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:42 pm

It's not uncommon to find a few older sheds on rock outcrops. I think k9s like to bring them up on them to play with
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 pm

I just posted about this in my journal. This shed was found along a trail I'd walked 3 or 4 times last fall. It has to be AT LEAST 2 years old. Its super dry and even cracked laterally on the main beam. However it was laying on top of the grass like a fresh shed. I was thinking coyotes must have set it there. Pretty confident in that after reading these posts.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm

So I never would have given it a second thought and assumed rodents but since I read this post 2 days ago and found this today I am thinking I found a chew toy. It definitely has rodent tooth marks but it also appears to have canine molar marks too. The brow tine was chewed off and the remaining piece was about 9" long. Who knows how many more points. A respectable deer even if it wasn't mature yet.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:55 am

Killtree wrote:I apologize for bringing up old posts.

I have always suspected coyotes play with sheds and move them around.
I have found some with chew marks.
Anytime I find a shed more than a year old I have to wonder if I am getting good Intel or if the trickster is at work.
I have also noticed that every old plastic bottle or jug I find in the woods shows evidence of being used as a chew toy.

Glad you brought it up. Never heard of this. Really cool.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”