Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Coyotes grabbing antlers?

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:20 am

Friend of mine has been snaring coyotes. He used an antler for an attractant/diversion. He said a Yote took the antler and walked off with it. The evidence was very prominent as it had snowed and tracks told the story. I never thought about this, but maybe that is why we find drops a year later in places we looked the year before. What do you think?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Coyotes grabbing antlers?

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 am

Saw a coyote sitting on a hill chewing and playing with a nice shed that was a year old during hunting season and picked it up later after the hunt... I am sure they carry the fresh ones that smell like a deer around.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

That is something I never thought about or considered. I just thought maybe the drops I was finding a year later were late drops. Interesting for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 am

I wonder if they have a few in their dens!? WOuld be cool to check out.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm

I have a buddy who picks up at least 1 or 2 sheds every year that smell so bad from coyotes scent marking on them that they can't stay in the house. One he put in the dishwasher a few times as it was a high 80 inch 5 point, it still stinks but he lives with the stink!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

I pick up a lot of antlers that are covered in fox urine and they wreak. There aren't many yotes around here. I have never witnessed a fox picking one up or moving them nor have I heard anything about it. Yotes on the other hand, I definitely believe that. I think a lot of the antlers you find a year later are a result of walking by them. I know I walk by a ton of antlers every year. Although, I'm sure if the yotes are moving them around... that wouldn't help.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 am

i found a beautiful set a few years back lying together one on top of the other as they fell that way. when i picked them up they stunk horribly of pee. not sure if it was fox or yote but i wasnt leaving them behind. a few washes with dawn dish soap and some time and they dont stink anymore. i thought it was the strangest thing now i see im not the only one who has come across this, interesting/strange too...
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:17 am

Makes you wonder how predators like to scent post like that what the use would ever be for using a doe urine. You would be further ahead to dump a bucks urine out and challenge it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 am

Interesting for sure.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 am

I apologize for bringing up old posts.

I have always suspected coyotes play with sheds and move them around.
I have found some with chew marks.
Anytime I find a shed more than a year old I have to wonder if I am getting good Intel or if the trickster is at work.
I have also noticed that every old plastic bottle or jug I find in the woods shows evidence of being used as a chew toy.
:violence-bowandarrow:
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:49 am

I've been working on training my pup to find sheds, Dogbone a trainer out of WI has a video where a farmer told him where a shed was in a field, left it, gave him a picture of it and he took his young dog out to train it with the real thing. Ended up the shed was moved assumed by coyotes and was found about 100 yards from where it previously was. Interesting for sure.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:53 am

Very interesting. I found a year old shed yesterday within sight of where I shot 4 deer this year and missed another one and must have walked past the spot multiple times. It was right on a well used game trail near the top of a ridge where coyotes do like to travel. I figured I just walked by it and didn't see it, but that is unlikely because it was pretty obvious. We don't have many coyotes but I had a couple on trail cam in the area...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 am

Killtree wrote:I apologize for bringing up old posts.

I have always suspected coyotes play with sheds and move them around.
I have found some with chew marks.
Anytime I find a shed more than a year old I have to wonder if I am getting good Intel or if the trickster is at work.
I have also noticed that every old plastic bottle or jug I find in the woods shows evidence of being used as a chew toy.

No need to apologize, its a good thread to bump.
I shot a big buck on a farm once and When I got to it, not only did the coyotes eat the whole deer, they chewed up the antlers really bad, even chewed a couple points in half...
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 am

Interesting post Stanley.

I have not witnessed this but can see the validity of it.

I know dogs like these as you see antlers sold at pet stores so maybe natures way to clean teeth and vitamins for the yotes.

I did see a fox by my stand several years ago chew on a glove a hunter lost that had the leather palm, so interesting what all they guys my chew on and why.

I know I have seen bones void of meat being chewed on but have not see antlers, but as others say maybe another reason or excuse for me why I don't find
many. :)

Good post!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:57 am

PredatorTC wrote:I wonder if they have a few in their dens!? WOuld be cool to check out.

It's funny you say that I found a Coyote Den near my cabin and it was full of Bones hair hides and there was also a small 8 point shed in the den
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”