anyone find sheds in NH?

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

geremy14

anyone find sheds in NH?

Unread postby geremy14 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Iv been looking for the past couple weeks and haven't seen anything looks of sign nut no sheds....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Edcyclopedia

Re: anyone find sheds in NH?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:07 pm

I've only been out a few hours and nothing yet.

Granted I've only found one my entire life, so the odds are against me anyways:)

I have better luck finding Moose sheds or the one that holds my lawn mower...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:I've only been out a few hours and nothing yet.

Granted I've only found one my entire life, so the odds are against me anyways:)

I know here in Maine, I find sheds nearly every year. Many of the ones I found, I know who the shed came from. Most of the time I do not look for them. I find shed hunting really slows my scouting down and I cannot see how shedding hunting benefits me in the fall. By the time the bucks are back in that range where the antlers fall off, seasons are typically over. Some guys shed hunt in deer yards.

So far this year, I found a shed that is from a buck I hope to see next year, he has been around for awhile and found a dead head. I know guys who love love love to look for moose sheds. They scout with a back pack rack with bungie cords.

I know Sunday curiosity got the best of me and scouted for sheds under some apple trees. Found nothing. I know a lot of guys like to shed hunt. Its kind of a hobby all in itself.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:06 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I've only been out a few hours and nothing yet.

I know here in Maine, I find sheds nearly every year. Many of the ones I found, I know who the shed came from. Most of the time I do not look for them. I find shed hunting really slows my scouting down and I cannot see how shedding hunting benefits me in the fall. By the time the bucks are back in that range where the antlers fall off, seasons are typically over. Some guys shed hunt in deer yards.

So far this year, I found a shed that is from a buck I hope to see next year, he has been around for awhile and found a dead head. I know guys who love love love to look for moose sheds. They scout with a back pack rack with bungie cords.

I know Sunday curiosity got the best of me and scouted for sheds under some apple trees. Found nothing. I know a lot of guys like to shed hunt. Its kind of a hobby all in itself.

I actually started typing this very thing, then erased it... ;)

Another point as well, if you push the buck out by shed hunting too early then may drop it elsewhere...
I typically wait until end of Feb/early March for this reason.

My shed hunting consists of looking @ the ground occasionally, not very serious. :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bonecollector

Unread postby bonecollector » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Not alot of deer left around here since the previous two winters .i feed them on my land and ive seen them drop like flies.we needed this. Mild winter bad!

Huntoholic
Facebook: Garrickpfromthe603@yahoo.com

Unread postby Huntoholic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:15 pm

My buddy had some luck in NH making an antler trap over a small bait pile. I don't recommend it during tough winters like last year though. The majority of the winter kills in NH last year were due to people feeding them. Their stomachs are not conditioned to eat corn and it ends up killing them with full stomachs. Hawkeye has had a few articles on this.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
bonecollector

Unread postby bonecollector » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 pm

Grain and good hay is all i feed them corn takes about two weeks for them to adjust to it slowly.ive been feeding the same bucks for years .coyotes and bobcats had a good year though

bonecollector

Unread postby bonecollector » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:09 am

There has to be some sheds on the ground in nh .im not to far away and they were all shed out by first week of febuary here.and thats late last year they were shed out by first week of january .ive found 21 deer sheds so far ....def. not easy around here .we are on the line of where whitetails cant survive .some years are better than others but our populations are fragile .

sjj

Unread postby sjj » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:12 am

I live in central NY and look for sheds aggressively each year. Many of our deer do not drop their antlers until mid March here...which, I assume would be true for you too. When you start looking this early sometimes your looking for antlers that are still with the deer. We've had virtually no winter this year. The deer are spread all over and they never concentrated anywhere plus most farmers got all of their crops off. Shed hunting is going to be particularly tough this year I figure.
bonecollector

Unread postby bonecollector » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:02 pm

I run alot of cameras and been at it along time seen a thousand deer in deer yards and ive personally never seen a buck with antlers around here past feb 2 ..even the little spike horns dropped on jan. 2 this year .ive did see a moose on may 8 last sring with both sides at tweny yards but he was suffering .trying to kick them off with his back feet and raking trees .he was clearly suffering from it .

sjj

Unread postby sjj » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:42 am

Whats state you in Bonecollector?
bonecollector

Unread postby bonecollector » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:44 am

Im in maine

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”