Shed Buck Pictures

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Shed Buck Pictures

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Headed up to check some cameras this weekend and wondering if there are any pictures of bucks shed.

Going back thru a few years pictures and see this is about the time some bucks start droping. Some have been earlier, others later, but this weekend seems about the average start time in my area.

Anybody see any shed bucks yet, or found a shed by chance?

huntinfool14
500 Club

Re: Shed Buck Pictures

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 pm

in my area i usually start to see bucks dropping their antlers in the beginning to mid january..usually if i see a buck with dropped antlers now..it is usually because of an injury..
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:21 pm

I thought dan said, or maybe was another veteran whitetail hunter, that the same bucks tend to shed the same time every year...with 24hrs or so of last years drop. I can't remember where I read it but I swore it was something about if buck "X" drops his sheds on December 7th 2009 its a pretty good chance that if he makes it through the gun season he will be shed within 24hrs or so of the 7th of December in 2010. Sort of how the rut is the same time every yr no matter what and can be slightly affected by weather, temperature, and moonlight. I think the shedding bucks are affected by things like weather and stress but not as much as we think
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Right around Jan 15th I start ramping up my walking. Although I suspect some are dropping already...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:08 am

wow you guys drop this early? we just got out of our gun season... bucks here wont drop until feb, maybe a few last week of jan... but not likely.

march we shed hunt before spring grow up... then its turkeys!!

im duck hunting now... mashin em up!
You can't kill em on the couch
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 am

Yeah, some deer do.

Here is just a quick example.

Just noticed December 18th is a popular day. :?

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 am

Some bucks in northern MN are shedding already. In southern WI or Iowa, I start looking around the middle of January. Last year, I ran into a guy while hunting around December 21st. I asked him what he was up to and it turned out he was shed hunting. He said he has sees a few bucks starting to shed around that time in his area (Allamakee county, IA).
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:53 am

Cool pictures Hodag!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:59 am

On another forum some guy found two big sheds in Iowa last week.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm

My area just don't seem to drop any antlers until Febuary or so.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:42 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I thought dan said, or maybe was another veteran whitetail hunter, that the same bucks tend to shed the same time every year...with 24hrs or so of last years drop. I can't remember where I read it but I swore it was something about if buck "X" drops his sheds on December 7th 2009 its a pretty good chance that if he makes it through the gun season he will be shed within 24hrs or so of the 7th of December in 2010. Sort of how the rut is the same time every yr no matter what and can be slightly affected by weather, temperature, and moonlight. I think the shedding bucks are affected by things like weather and stress but not as much as we think

That is correct. I believe it was in D&DH. Just like you said within 24 hours and I remember them saying a a lot of them dropped them in a 5 or 6 hour window. Its amazing how nature works.

As for bucks dropping there racks now.......well in my neck of the woods thats just crazy. The earliest our bucks seem to drop are mid to late January, but we see big racked bucks with full head gear in February and on the rare occasion even into March.

Our deer herd is insane though. We have so many deer and such an off balance Buck to Doe ratio that we see bucks chasing un-bred does as late as February and March as well.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:38 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I thought dan said, or maybe was another veteran whitetail hunter, that the same bucks tend to shed the same time every year...with 24hrs or so of last years drop. I can't remember where I read it but I swore it was something about if buck "X" drops his sheds on December 7th 2009 its a pretty good chance that if he makes it through the gun season he will be shed within 24hrs or so of the 7th of December in 2010. Sort of how the rut is the same time every yr no matter what and can be slightly affected by weather, temperature, and moonlight. I think the shedding bucks are affected by things like weather and stress but not as much as we think

Yes I did say that... I read some research on it. It can be effected by stress though. I remember a couple years ago we had a bad ice storm and it was really cold and the deer could not get at the ice covered food and most of the bucks dropped there antlers because of that.
There has been some research that shows that in a stress free environment bucks will drop close to within 24 hours of when they did the year before. So if someone is tracking a particular buck and finds a shed I would think about writing down the find date.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Its really hard to know exactly when a certain buck dropped, unless you check for the sheds everyday. Even then its easy to walk over them when theres snow. A camera works good for that but even then you need to have some kind of verification that it is that buck. Like a half side dropped.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:52 pm

solocam88 wrote:Its really hard to know exactly when a certain buck dropped, unless you check for the sheds everyday. Even then its easy to walk over them when theres snow. A camera works good for that but even then you need to have some kind of verification that it is that buck. Like a half side dropped.

Yea.. But I have found big sheds at the end of december, and also seen a particular buck wearing his crown till April. So knowing this is a trait that repeats its self, one can estimate when the buck will shed the next year.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm

I found these sheds in 2009 and 2010 fifty yards apart and within a couple days of each other

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”