Shed found in bed/ buck killed in same bed.

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Shed found in bed/ buck killed in same bed.

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Wow,that is awesome! You definitely are a beast Dan!

bkraus

Unread postby bkraus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:40 pm

dan wrote:I found this shed while scouting right in a big buck bed. The next November I shot the buck ( 180's ) in that same bed.
The whole story can be read in the post below this one.

Dan great story! I find in very interesting that you learned the bucks track, it sounds like that was the key to success. Have you done this with any other of your buck kills?
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 am

Glad this story got bumped! Simply awesome.

“The long walk past my wife with gun and orange vest”. Lol. :lol:
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:14 am

bkraus wrote:
dan wrote:I found this shed while scouting right in a big buck bed. The next November I shot the buck ( 180's ) in that same bed.
The whole story can be read in the post below this one.

Dan great story! I find in very interesting that you learned the bucks track, it sounds like that was the key to success. Have you done this with any other of your buck kills?

Last years January buck
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:41 am

Dan I have a couple questions.
1. Did you have back straps or Turkey for dinner that Thanksgiving?
2. How far was the belly crawl you had to do to get that close?
3. How in the world were you able to stay quiet enough to ever get that close?
4. In the hills where I hunt I'm not finding the deep worn primary beds like you are seeing in the swamps and farms. Is this due to them having so many beds on the ridges and points? In the hardwoods when I come across a single mature pine with the limbs gone up to about 5' I find some good beds underneath them and you can see where they scrape the tree while bedded. I'm sure these are rut beds but they dont fit the general mature buck bedding criteria. Usually these are in more open timber near high doe traffic areas.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:37 am

may21581 wrote:Dan I have a couple questions.
1. Did you have back straps or Turkey for dinner that Thanksgiving?
2. How far was the belly crawl you had to do to get that close?
3. How in the world were you able to stay quiet enough to ever get that close?
4. In the hills where I hunt I'm not finding the deep worn primary beds like you are seeing in the swamps and farms. Is this due to them having so many beds on the ridges and points? In the hardwoods when I come across a single mature pine with the limbs gone up to about 5' I find some good beds underneath them and you can see where they scrape the tree while bedded. I'm sure these are rut beds but they dont fit the general mature buck bedding criteria. Usually these are in more open timber near high doe traffic areas.

1- There was probably some of both back in those days. Thanksgiving back then ( aprox. 1991 ) would of been at Ma's house and would likely of included fresh venison, turkey, crab legs, and all the fixens...

2- It was not real far, maybe 75/100 yards.

3- Go slow.

4- Complicated question and answer... I do have places in the hills that have worn in very well used beds. I know other areas where its very hard to see or locate beds. Has a lot to do with the exact terrain. In steep hill country the bedding is concentrated at the military crest. The more rounded the hills get, the more a good bedding area can have the actual beds scatter around based on where the wind rolls and the amount of thermal activity. Often in more rolling hills or areas lacking great bedding structure, bucks will actually change bedding spots often all day as air currents change. This does not automatically mean the bedding is worse. A buck can bed in a different spot within a bedding area and not leave much sign, or he can bed in the same spot every time he beds there cause that spot forces the air currents and has all the right ingredients. One will leave a worn bed, one not much sign... Kind of why being able to read terrain and understand where they bed regardless of sign is important.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:59 am

Sounds like a good feast there, lots of good eats! 75-100 yards crawling on your stomache and hands in frigid weather is a haul, a test of endurance and determination for sure. Some of the best bedding for bucks I have found in the big hill country is where it was logged out about 50 years ago. The old logging roads have created military benches. Above them is thick with multaflora and new younger growth, it would take a dozer to get to them from the top. These have been the only spots I have found good beds.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:46 am

may21581 wrote:Sounds like a good feast there, lots of good eats! 75-100 yards crawling on your stomache and hands in frigid weather is a haul, a test of endurance and determination for sure. Some of the best bedding for bucks I have found in the big hill country is where it was logged out about 50 years ago. The old logging roads have created military benches. Above them is thick with multaflora and new younger growth, it would take a dozer to get to them from the top. These have been the only spots I have found good beds.

YES I love logging roads as I have seen some of the biggest deer I have ever witnessed from a stand sitting close to old logging roads. And you are absolutely right on the thickets above them
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”