• Advertisement

HB Store

moondoondude
500 Club

Re: Lucky surprise

Unread postby moondoondude » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:02 am

JoeRE wrote:
moondoondude wrote:
JoeRE wrote:That's awesome thanks for sharing.

Do you have much history with that first big buck/do you think he will put on more inches?

He was about 110" last year at 2.5, this year his antlers went 150.5" without a spread credit (right under 170"). I set up a camera where I found his antlers last year at about 4 p.m. on 11 sept. I had pictures of him an hour or 1.5 hours later. I got pictures of him just about daily since, almost daily in daylight too. I hunted there 3 times this year, first 2 times passed him, third time had a couple others from his bachelor group come in and when they passed, i got down and snuck out early. He was shot sometime between october 6-11 through the guts and lived, never phased much at all by it. I figured he would die sometime this year but really hoped he wouldn't, i got lucky there. I still am getting daily pictures of him and his bachelor group. There are probably another 10 or so antlers within 100-150 yards of that camera, but i am not going to shed hunt it due to the regularity and comfort of the bachelor group there.

:shock: Holy buckets.

Crazy that he's acting normal. Did the gut hit just not penetrate or did it go all the way through? I have seen that once, shot a buck that had a huge expandable wound through the hide and against the last couple ribs, basically dead center guts but never penetrated enough to kill. Tip didn't even puncture anything somehow...

Yes, clean pass through. I will put some pictures up tomorrow. I figure there had to be some type of internal damage, but clearly things are still functional.

moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:36 am

Sorry, been a few days. Had to look through lots and lots of pictures. For future shot placement ideas - here's a good spot not to hit. Clearly exit and entrance on both sides. Just hoping that the injury doesn't alter growth and development as they can, and tend to do.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 am

Kokes wrote:what an awesome find, I think that may prove to be a costly mistake for that buck now!!

Having MDD on his track, he doesnt stand a chance!

Awesome stuff Luke!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:03 am

Wonder if his Willis is all right after that shot. Ouch :lol:

Be curious to see what you find when you kill him. That looks like a pretty small diameter wound although they do shrink and heal fast in the hide.

My guess would be either a dull broad head that just didn't cut much, or maybe a gunshot, slid right along the bottom of the intestines. That fluffy belly hair by his hind legs is deceptive the actual stomach line is probably even with the height of that wound. Would think a razor sharp broad head of any kind would have done hari kari on him. Ugly way to go but he wouldn't have lived.

The way he was walking around normal afterward and shed at a normal time makes me think his antlers will be fine next year.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:23 am

JoeRE wrote:Wonder if his Willis is all right after that shot. Ouch :lol:

Be curious to see what you find when you kill him. That looks like a pretty small diameter wound although they do shrink and heal fast in the hide.

My guess would be either a dull broad head that just didn't cut much, or maybe a gunshot, slid right along the bottom of the intestines. That fluffy belly hair by his hind legs is deceptive the actual stomach line is probably even with the height of that wound. Would think a razor sharp broad head of any kind would have done hari kari on him. Ugly way to go but he wouldn't have lived.

The way he was walking around normal afterward and shed at a normal time makes me think his antlers will be fine next year.

I agree. It doesn't seem like it stressed him out at all.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”